PDA

View Full Version : WoC - Fun mounted / Magic list 2250

Angelust
07-03-2009, 02:04
Hey guys. Working with the models I got, and trying something new.

Sorceror Lord -
Lvl 4
MoT
Disc
Gold Eye
Daemon Sword
3rd eye
Blood Roar

Sorceror
Lvl 2
MoN
Chariot
Amulet
Scroll

Sorceror
Lvl 2
MoN
Chariot
Pow Famil
Book of Sec

Sorceror
Lvl 2
MoN
Bard Steed
Puppet
Enchanted Shield

Marauder Horsemen x5 - Flails
Marauder Horsemen x5 - Flails
Marauder Horsemen x5 - Flails + Muso
Hounds 2x5

Knights x5 - MoN
Knights x5 - MoK, Lances
Knights x5 - MoK

14 PD, 7 DD, 1 scroll, Infernal Puppet

-- I know everyone will tell me to remove the lances on the Khorne guys, but I like the look of them, so they gotta stay. I can live with it.

3 units of knights, 2 chariots w/ unit strength 5, a flying sorc-lord for skirmisher/warmachine hunting, and 3 units of marauder horsemen for bait-killing, baiting, combined charging, and other situational stuff. The dogs are there to screen knights and pulls units out of position if possible, otherwise to soak up some fire. (I've even had hounds kill units once in a while, and kill warmachine crews once in a blue moon!)

How does the rest look? What kinds of lists will destroy this army, other than lore of metal w/ slaan/teclis etc...?

Cobrak
07-03-2009, 06:10
anything with a decent MR unit(s) some good anvils and some Bolt throwers
but past that you should be good

then there are the usual
Deamons
and
VC
*shakes fist*

Angelust
07-03-2009, 08:18
*shakes fist as well*

So balanced High Elves (although the anvil part is debatable...maybe the phoenix guard if they ward save well and manage to pop a knight or two on turn one...)....

Daemons I'd mainly be worried about a blood-thirster or the like, which I tend to face all too often. VC I think wouldn't be too bad...try to dispel what I can, and maybe try to get gateways off on the unit w/ the general, and buboes the general down if possible.

Angelust
07-03-2009, 18:22
Other thoughts? Any gaping holes in the list?

vinny t
07-03-2009, 18:27
Are the Horsemen marked?, and if not, make them khorne for the bucketload of attacks you get.

Angelust
07-03-2009, 18:36
I'm kind of wary of marking them, as they usually double as baiters, harassers, and opportunists. Frenzied fast cav always seems a little too unpredictable to me, especially when you need to fine-tune their control for best use.

I don't know, I thought about it. But that bumps their points up to over 110 a pop as well.

I'll consider the idea, maybe one unit of khornate horsemen as a light hammer unit...

Angelust
10-03-2009, 00:50
No other comments? I'm really curious to hear comments about nurgle sorcerors in chariots. I'm not sure if that gives them suitable autonomy and protection, or whether it's just asking to get shot to death and/or charged.

This would leave 5 units capable of doing serious charge injury...

Deathwatch
10-03-2009, 18:47
I'd be tempted to put MoS on the horsemen.
Prevetns them failing that fear test to charge daemons or skellies - or failing that panic check against daemon magic!

Entilzha
10-03-2009, 20:09
I also suggest trying MoS on the horsemen. This means they will pretty much for shure get where ever it is you want them to go. Its not ItP but pretty damn close and for 10 points on horsemen with fails they only come to 85 points. Hell might even give them all Throwing Axes or spears for a point a peices let them be more flexable.

Kalec
11-03-2009, 00:23
No, those chariots are not worth it. They are expensive, they don't hit nearly hard enough (they really do need mark of khorne), and they make your mages targetable. Give the sorcerers barded steeds and take a unit of something else. You could grab some spawn to help deal with jerks hiding in woods, musicians for the other horsemen units and MoS for all of them, musicians for the knights so thy don't lose ties that happen far too often, and a few more hounds.

Angelust
11-03-2009, 20:04
Played a couple games yesterday. Orca and gobs and dark elves, both solid wins.

Caster chariots worked great as buboes spammers and charge supporters. Also, 2+ save inside chariot helped. What really sucked was eotg, because he had to get off his chariot to challenge everyone, even the dark elf lord on manticore!

Angelust
13-03-2009, 08:11
Played another game vs. 2-ancient steggy LM w/ carnosaur oldblood. The guy was new, but played a solid game.

The buboes took down the skink priest riding the steggy turn one, and the rest of the magic was lack luster. Knights w/ lances dropped a block of 20 saurus warriors after 2 rounds, and the nurgle chariots were ace. Being able to move around and pivot while getting an occasional charge off really gave my chaos army some much needed options when it came to magic vs. charging. Usually the units either aim straight for combat or avoid like mad for magic, but the nurgle chariots can mix it up quite well mid range.

Will playtest a few other list builds with the nurgle caster chariots, and I'll try the dragon sorc lord build. Tell u how it goes soon!

lcfr
13-03-2009, 15:38
The Marauder Horsemen will never disappoint you if they have the MoS (you should try and find points to give the other 2 units flails as well). I'd consider Dragon Ogres in lieu of one of those units of Knights, they make great can-openers and you really only lose out on WS and AS.

Angelust
13-03-2009, 18:47
The horsemen all have flails. I am really trying to keep the horsemen cheap so I can throw them away when I need to. Perhaps just flails + MoS....

I've been trying out the horsemen with flails and throwing axes, and have been using them as harassers. They haven't killed much, but it's nice having at least some option in the shooting phase.

Next list, I'll try MoS

Coram_Boy
13-03-2009, 19:02
I like the list overall (was going to say drop the lances, but then... :D) seems fun, and I would take the same sort of thing if I played WoC.

Seville
13-03-2009, 20:18
I'm glad to hear you're doing well with this list. I've been curious as to how a list like this would work out. It obviously depends on inflicting A LOT of damage to win, which I think is entirely possible with all that magic and those knights. Me, personally, I feel unfortable without some kind of static CR blocks on the table, and I would also feel pretty naked with so few screens for my Khornate Knights.

Personally, I might drop the chariots to free up points. I hesitate to give sorcerors any kind of combat equipment because pretty much the last place I want them is in combat. I would also drop the Lvl 4 Sorceror on disc down to a lvl 2 and give him the BoS and Power Fam so he can hurl flickering fire and fireball and whatever other cool Tzeentch spell you roll. Doing this would free up the points for maybe 2 nice blocks of slaaneshi marauders to act as anvils, meat, shields, etc.

That's what I would do, anyway.

Angelust
13-03-2009, 23:15
In every game with this list so far, it's been fairly close, but they always turned out to solid victories for me. I'll inevitably lose my hounds and horsemen(usually), and usually 1 or two units of knights.

But you should see the other guy!

I think the strength of the list, at least against my opponents so far, is that it can fairly reliably shoot or chase harassers away from my knights, leaving my knights free to wreck some face. then, after the knights charge through the line or die in combat, my wizard are usually free to maneuver around and blast magic for 3-5 turns. Selectively eliminating some units, bringing others below half, and grabbing table quarters/buboes the general can wrack up a lot of the VP late in the game.

That, and I don't have any banners to give up, and my wizards are usually surviving the whole game.

I'm considering for the next list, however, how to free up enough points for a tooled up sorceror lord on dragon. Maybe drop a unit of knights, and downgrade some nurgle sorcs...