PDA

View Full Version : Cost effective way to make an army

Seandy
07-03-2009, 12:52
I'm trying to think of a nice cost effective way to make a Lizardman army seeing someone in GW painting this big tough lizard man unit (Not sure what the unit was looked about 2/3 to 2x bigger then a high elf and quite muscular looked like a nice eliete troop that grab my eye even unpainted.

The history of the lizards seems intresting enough so thinking the best way on building an army since i never done it before.

Infectum
07-03-2009, 14:09
Best way to be as cost effective as possible is to make sure you don't buy things you aren't going to want. If you don't have the book, then go out and buy it, read it through, and post a list you like up here and ask for critique. I don't know much about lizards, but I do know that the new battalion is great, so it will help a lot with some cost cutting.

ScytheSwathe
07-03-2009, 14:09
Get the book, decide what you like. That way you wont waste any money buying things you dont need/want. When check out the army deals/batallion boxes, see if its got the bits you want. Ebay and online stores will give you around 25% off the GW price, or you can buy second hand., generally ebay again.

Check out the painting forums for ways to strip paint. I use Nitromors for metal, and brake fluid for plastics.

Nightsword
07-03-2009, 14:20
80 can buy you 2 battalions from GamersWarehouse in the UK, giving you 40 Saurus, 24 Skinks, 20 Temple Guard and 16 Cold one Riders. One of those cold one riders I would convert to a scar veteran with bits from the temple guard. My army had this as it's core, plus a steg (engine of the gods), 3 razordons and a slann for 150. That's pretty cost effective if you ask me for 3000pts.

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178854

http://cart.gwonline.info/epages/es115160.preview/secT64k25fErkY/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es115160_shop

Stuffburger
07-03-2009, 14:46
I've got a thread on that in my sig.

Finnigan2004
07-03-2009, 16:25
My guess is that you saw kroxigors, which are not the most efficient points to dollars unit. That said, you can put them in mixed units with skinks, which are cheap and plastic. My advice is to look in the book, talk to some people about the style of play you like (big dinos, lots of magic, whatever you like most), and then hit ebay to find some good deals on models that catch your eye. Good luck on building your army, and lizards are a fun army to play.