PDA

View Full Version : Slann LOS discussion

Necromancy Black
07-03-2009, 13:02
Ok, haven't seen this as a question that's been addressed formally, so lets try this.

How exactly does the the Slann LOS work?

There are couple of ways been put forward from various places:

Slann always has LOS as a Large Target
Slann only has LOS as a Large Target when casting spells
Slann only has LOS as a Large Target when it has joined another unit
Slann only has LOS as a Large Target when casting spells whiled joined to a unit
Same as above but must join TG and has LOS at all times
Same as above but must join TG and only when casting spells

Ok, personally I'm for number 2, but I see good reason as too why people say number 4 or 6, and even reason for the others.

Number 4 and 6 come about due to the Guardian rule, which has the LOS rule in it. This is the same rule govering the Slann joinging TG (and a short note about other units)

Now it says that a Slann placed in the second rank can act as normal, it then says that it can float up to cast spells before floating back down. It then says that because of this, the his (I'm serious, it says "the his" :( ) has LOS as a larget target.

So it seems that all the parts stick together...

But the Guardian rule seems to be written as more then one rule in one, and can be devided up without affecting the rule.

The first part is have a Slann in TG joins the second rank and can act normally while here.
The second part is that it can rise up while casting spells because of it's palanquin, allowing it to have LOS as a large target.
If not in base to base contact can cast Magic Missiles as normal
When joing other units, it goes to the front rank.

To me, this is obviosuly 4 rules in one. Seen it before? You have, with that god awefully written EotG, which has the rules for rolling on the table, Chaos Characters must accept challanges and that all models must issue if they can.
That's three rules, one being army wide and not actually a real part of EotG, more like Will of Chaos.

So the precedent seems to be to take the words literly as written, and with the Guardian rule being in logical sections it seems this applies here. This means the Slann always has LOS while casting spells.

BUT, there is a sentence saying the Palaquin rises up, and a sentence following saying "Because of this, the his Line of Sight is worked out as if the Mage-Preist himself was a Large Target." This could be taken as meaning at all times he has LOS as a large target. I don't see this though as the previous sentence talks about casting spells. It also talks about dropping into the protection fo the unit. So I'm jsut confused as hell.

Anyone want to tackle the text above and contribute?

theunwantedbeing
07-03-2009, 13:10
Er....the rules are incredibly clear.

He has line of sight as if he was a large target.
He isnt actually a large target, he just has line of sight as if he was.
While in a unit of Temple Guard.

Simple.

Necromancy Black
07-03-2009, 13:12
I'll put you down as a direct interpretation, ignoring the stuff about the rules stating he has LOS because of his palanquin rises up to cast spell before ducking down into his unit. :p

Hubman
07-03-2009, 15:28
When I read the rules, I think your option 6 is the one. He must be in a TG unit and only while casting spells does he have LOS as if a Large Target. Not for other purposes.

Remember that Large Targets have the 90 degree LOS arc! It doesn´t say that the Slann has 360 degree LOS!

Kind regards,

Hubman

Shamfrit
07-03-2009, 15:37
Which is precisely what Channeling on Skink Priests is for...

It is very simple. Large Target whilst casting spells in a Temple Guard unit.

Outside of a unit i'd say he'd have the same but, why would you want him not in Temple Guard...

jax40kplyr1
07-03-2009, 16:23
Mmmm I'd have to disagree. From my reading of it, the Slann counts a large target when he casts spells, whether in a unit or not, and then sinks back down on his palequin. If he is running solo, he should be able to hide behind a row of skinks, then in the magic phase pop up, cast, then sink back down to be screened. The temple guard unit is pretty cut and dry. If he is in the front rank of a unit (non-temple guard, although I can't imagine who would do this), then he can pop up and cast as a large target until you get him into combat base to base.
I think the part that messes with people is if the Slann is running around on his own. Technically, he should be able to be screened by regular size models, as well as becoming a large target (for LOS purposes) during his magic phase. In addition, noone would ever get the +1 to shoot at him for being a large target.
I simplified it in my mind as he floats up to see everyone in his magic phase - otherwise he's chilling on the lowrider palequin.

Necromancy Black
07-03-2009, 21:33
It is very simple. Large Target whilst casting spells in a Temple Guard unit.

Outside of a unit i'd say he'd have the same but, why would you want him not in Temple Guard...

Not sure which option your agreeing with here, but I can tell you a Slann outside of TG is very, very affective.

I honestly see 5 and 6 as being the msot incorrect. The LOS part of the rules have nothign to do with TG. They mention he floats back down to his unit in the fluffy part of the text, but honestly by himself he's considered a unit so there's no correct RAW there.

nosferatu1001
07-03-2009, 22:46
the guardian rule has two parts - one which says how the slann behaves while in TG units, and another which describes how the Palanquin always works.

The Slann is a large target ONLY for casting spells, regardless of in a unit or not.

Nurgling Chieftain
08-03-2009, 00:34
I see no reason why the Slann would lose his large target LOS ability while shooting (if you gave him the magic bow). Technically, I think he'd even have it for declaring charges...

nosferatu1001
08-03-2009, 04:49
You're correct Nurgling (should have known....) the rule clearly states his LOS is worked out as if he's a large target, with no restriction on phase.

So, to summarise:

1) ALWAYS a large target for his LOS; therefore cannot be targetted as a large target
2) Regardless of the Slann being in a unit, this holds true.