PDA

View Full Version : Dark Eldar on a budget? A topic on alternatives and inventiveness

Darthvegeta800
07-03-2009, 14:14
Given the outdatedness of a lot of models and the price of metal figs.
I was wondering how you guys maximized purchases and sought alternatives to represent some units, H.Q.'s etc.
I assume Eldar are quite useful for that?
How do you guys try to limit expenditures (or overcome esthetic annoyances with as little problem as possible) when it comes to the Dark Eldar?

Captain Micha
07-03-2009, 14:16
Use Eldar :D

When I made a "Dark Eldar" list it was assumed that my "witches" were banshees, fielding darker aspect warriors like Scorpions, also field Harlequins with the troupe master being reflavored to be a Solitare.

list goes on and on.

Anythings better than actually using the DE dex!

I never got around to it, but I had it fairly well planned out.

Hicks
07-03-2009, 14:23
Combined with the new Dark Elf and the eldar plastic kits, you can make a lot of stuff from the basic warrior sprue.

Darthvegeta800
07-03-2009, 14:28
Hmmm for a list focussing on Raiders/basic troops with some Sybarites/Dracons, what would you guys advise?

Dexter099
07-03-2009, 14:39
You should never ever have a sybarite in your Dark Eldar list unless you want to play around with an Xenospasm.

To get the warriors you need, just get a couple of their boxes, you get 16 in each for $30.00, so it's actually cheaper to just buy DE warriors. You'll need two large blob squads of at least 17 guys to guard your haemonculi so they can drop their portals, 3 squads of 6 guys on raiders, and 10 guys with 2 Dark Lances to fill up your troop choices.

You might as well just buy the metal haemonculi anyways, since they are cheap. Use Witch Elves to substitute for the unwieldy metal wyches, but you will have to model on some splinter pistols, so the regular box of wyches may be the way to go, as you won't get any shredders or blasters fromt he witch elf box.

For the raiders, there isn't much you can do about it, just save up for 6 raiders.

The ravager and 2 taloses you should get; it would probably be best to buy them off of E-bay.

FraustyTheSnowman
07-03-2009, 14:42
I've managed to get nearly 40 warriors basically for free by asking people in my group who've been playing for a while if they had anything. most of them had a lot of half primed bitz and pieces laying arround and just wanted to get rid of them. The biggest thing for me is the goofy helmets, so any warriors I got with heads were decapitated. I'll probably go the Doghouse route and use eldar heads and get some dark elf bitz.

Beyond that, my wyches are going to be made out of the old second edition chaos cultist models. The shirtless dudes in the skirts. Just gotta swap out auto guns for splinter pistols, and replace a couple of the less sleak looking melee weapons.

Just look arround at what you can get for cheep and keep your imagination flowing.

Snotteef
07-03-2009, 16:07
You should never ever have a sybarite in your Dark Eldar list unless you want to play around with an Xenospasm.

Unless it's a sniper squad, you should ALWAYS use sybarites armed with Agonizers... they make the unit. Just covert them from regular warrior. Put some big blades on the back of their hands, paint them to look power weapony and 'bam!' instant sybarite.

Bregalad
07-03-2009, 19:07
With major chances in looks, background and everything Dark Eldar, I find it difficult to suggest what will fit the next Codex.

Darthvegeta800
07-03-2009, 19:59
With major chances in looks, background and everything Dark Eldar, I find it difficult to suggest what will fit the next Codex.

So best wait?
That's what annoying me. There just isn't confirmation on a DE codex. It keeps me hesitant. I keep hesitating between collecting a minor GK or a minor DE force.

Sergant ChinStrap
07-03-2009, 20:08
In all honesty, i would take the minor GK force as they are more up to date so can be played with less confusion. I play dark eldar and my 1000pt force (which i assume is minor) cost me around $300 nz so like $175 US, but i did buy most of it brand new. But i think all GK are metal so would probably cost more but you wont need as many, its your call

the1stpip
07-03-2009, 21:27
Well, the codex is still pretty solid.

I am literally in the process of building an additional 250 pts of my Dark Eldar, and I have chosen to use the Dark Elf Corsairs, with Dark Eldar arms, for my Warriors.

My Raiders are more like pimped out jetbikes, using Raiders but with the big sail removed and the prow rmoved. A new plasticard prow (much sleeker) added, and a reaver jetbike and plasticard pilot area.

Raider Squad
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z158/the1stpip/Dark%20Eldar/Raider01.jpg

Ravager
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z158/the1stpip/Dark%20Eldar/Ravager01.jpg

The Ravager uses the old prow, upside down, for the side armour.

Darthvegeta800
07-03-2009, 21:43
Well, the codex is still pretty solid.

I am literally in the process of building an additional 250 pts of my Dark Eldar, and I have chosen to use the Dark Elf Corsairs, with Dark Eldar arms, for my Warriors.

My Raiders are more like pimped out jetbikes, using Raiders but with the big sail removed and the prow rmoved. A new plasticard prow (much sleeker) added, and a reaver jetbike and plasticard pilot area.

Raider Squad
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z158/the1stpip/Dark%20Eldar/Raider01.jpg

Ravager
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z158/the1stpip/Dark%20Eldar/Ravager01.jpg

The Ravager uses the old prow, upside down, for the side armour.

Wow. Nice! Very nice!