PDA

View Full Version : First ever Warhammer Army - Empire

Amsfeld
07-03-2009, 13:37
Hey all.

I've been a fan of 40k since Rogue Trader days, but I've never even looked at Warhammer - but things have changed.

Ever since seeing the Hunters of Sigmar Knight on the GW UK website, I've wanted to put together a small force from the Empire. The idea I have in mind is that this Warband moves through the forests hunting Beastmen etc, and is gradually growing in size.

Any, if someone (anyone...) with more experience could have a look through my list and give me any tips/advice I'd be grateful.

Warrior Priest
Warrior Priest armed with Heavy Armour, Additional Warhammer. Initially accompanies the Flagellants.
98 points

Battle Wizard
Battle Wizard armed with Wizards Staff, Ring of Volans, Warhorse, Level 2. Initially accompanies the Pistoliers.
140 points

Crossbowmen
10 Crossbowmen with Marksman.
85 points

Crossbowmen
85 points

Flagellants
19 Flagellants with Prophet of Doom.
200 points

Knightly Order
8 Knights of the Inner Circle. Full Command Squad and Steel Standard.
268 points

Pistoliers
5 Pistoliers with Musician and Outrider.
104 points

980 points

sroblin
07-03-2009, 15:33
Interesting army concept! Now for a little critique:

8 Knights in a Unit isn't very useful, you can only get a maximum of 6 in contact with an average infantry unit, if you make the unit 8 knights long it is ends up being pretty unwieldy. Consider that you for the price of that unit, you could nearly get two units of 5 un-upgraded knights (though certainly inner-circle knights are cool!). Consider combining the priest with the knights, they really benefit from teh re-rolls and they gain immune to psych (which the flagellents basically already have.)

You might wish to consider tossing the Warrior Priest a magic item or two. For one, he is a bit vulnerable with just a 5+ armor save; mounting him on a barded warhorse would make him tougher, and he can still lead infantry on it. If you want him to be slightly more deadly in combat, you should switch the two hand weapons for a great weapon; or you can switch to a shield to give him a decent armor save (both on foot or horse.)

Final thing to consider: the list basically has two solid units in it; the knights (which need to charge to win), and the flagellants. The flagellents can be pretty deadly on the charge (and only on the first charge of the game); however, if they get charged they are not hard to kill and they still lose the big strength bonus for their flails. Now, they won't break and they will fight to the very last body (though not very well after they lose the high-strength flail attacks), but it will tricky battle relying on such a unit as a mainstay. Empire infantry blocks, of course, aren't very good in fight either, but they can benefit from the Detachmet rule to call in flankers and swordsmen are a tougher unit to kill over all between WS4 and 4+ armor saves.

I would consider the doomfire ring over the ring of volans- you can re-use it every turn unlike the ring, and the spell is generally pretty useful.

Amsfeld
07-03-2009, 16:52
Thanks for the suggestions.

If I was to cut down the size of the Knights, would you still recommend taking the full command?

Here's the kind of force I'm thinking of now

Warrior Priest
Warrior Priest armed with Dawn Armour, Great Weapon, Barded Warhorse.
143 points

Battle Wizard
Battle Wizard armed with Wizards Staff , Doomfire Ring, Warhorse, Level 2.
150 points

Crossbowmen
85 points

Crossbowmen
85 points

Swordsmen
20 Swordsmen with Full Command Squad.
140 points

Knightly Order
5 Knights. Full Command Squad. Steel Standard.
175 points

Pistoliers
104 points

Pistoliers
104 points

Total - 986 points

Would you suggest keeping the 2nd lot of pistoliers, or adding a detachment for the swordsmen?

Do you think the combination of heroes and magic items will work? The idea was that my opponent would have have a big choice when it came to what to dispel, so a good few things would get through. How about swapping one for a BSB with Griffon Standard in the swordsman unit? Is this a case of having all of my eggs in one basket?

Dragon Prince of Caledor
07-03-2009, 19:31
I think its a great 1000pts list. I like the theme too. I dont think that 8 knights are bad. Odds are a couple will be shot down and it can give outnumber.
Good luck

nasty_little_hobbit
07-03-2009, 19:45
Looks like a good start:) The only suggestions I have is increasing the size of the swordsman block to 25 models and trying to get them a detatchement. If you split one of the xbow units and use 5 of them as a detatchment youd have enough for 5 more swordsmen.
Other than that I really like the list although some people will argue you need a cannon but I think its refreshing to use alternative builds.

Amsfeld
08-03-2009, 16:51
How about sticking in some Greatswords, using them as Hunters of Sigmar Knights who have lost their horses? If I was to cut the mounted knights down to 5 I could give them a detachment of halberdiers or similar with the extra points.

Makarion
08-03-2009, 17:02
I like this list a lot, so far! Personally, I would remove all the unit champions from the crossbows and pistoliers and exchange them for more swordsmen. Another option would be to exchange the Steel Standard for a Warbanner.

Amsfeld
08-03-2009, 18:14
So now I'm looking at;

Warrior Priest on horse (with Knights)
Wizard on horse (with pistoliers)
5 Knights
10 Crossbowmen (no command)
5 Pistoliers (musician)
25 Swordsmen (Full command)
10 Halberdiers detachment
10 Crossbowmen detachment

How does this sound?

So far I have the pistoliers, and am going to probably going to buy and convert things as they take my fancy.

The background would be that the Knights and Warrior Priest have been rooting out evil for the last few months, and as their fame has grown more people have come to join them. The Wizard was rescued when his coach was ambushed, and is now helping the army to get revenge on those who tried to kill him.

How would you guys see this fitting in with my very rough background? I'm not an expert on Warhammer or the Empire. The problems I see are that the swordsmen may be too highly skilled, although it just could be the hard living they've endured. Also the pistoliers, I may convert them to be witch hunters though. I'm trying to avoid gunpowder weapons, as I see them as being too unreliable for people in the forests for months at a time.

What I'm trying to get at is that I want a really fluffy army first and foremost, although I'll consider adding pretty much anything if I can explain it.

Thanks for all the help so far.