PDA

View Full Version : What new army would you like to see? :)

Guitarkalle
07-03-2009, 19:04
Hi,

I wonder what you guys would like to see in terms of new armies that could be included in warhammer fantasy :) Be as detailed as you want.

What kind of army do you think will be the next that GW will publish?

Myself, I would like to see some kind of strong human army, brutal vikings and gladiators. Big and strong :) Bear riders!

They would be inspired by scandinavian norse mythology.

Abhorash
07-03-2009, 19:06
AKA Kislev + Marauders? <.<
No more armys for some time i hope... More like balancing and tweaking the rest..

Lord Malorne
07-03-2009, 19:06
Fishmen!!!

For yours just use the WoC army (minus the bears).

Thing is, with the armies available you can play almost any army you can cook up...fishmen, use lizardmen rules...its all good.

EmperorNorton
07-03-2009, 19:34
What would tempt me is either Araby or Amazons.

Danny_D14
07-03-2009, 20:06
Cathay be interesting.

Harwammer
07-03-2009, 20:11
Unified chaos army

Hakkapelli
07-03-2009, 20:14
Agree on Araby and Cathay. Would also like to see a Tilean/Estalian army book. Actually I'd like to see any human / stat line 3 army to avoid that the game takes the same rout that 40k has taken. That is that humans are only around to show how awesome the other races are.

I know about the dogs of war but they are being phased out and are, together with chaos dwarfs, the only ravening hordes lists still in use.

And I expect to hear a larger number of people who wants chaos dwarves to make a return

ukko
07-03-2009, 20:21
Chaos Dwarfs, provided they take them in the new direction of the hellcannon - love the idea of sick little fellas torturing daemons. That or halflings - GW seem to be losing the humour in some of their models, that army could really rediscover it.

Otherwise, as much as I like the idea of Cathay, I love the mystery around them at the moment too much.

Teri-Hxlac
07-03-2009, 20:35
I've Wracked my brain and Chaos dwarfs seem to be the only ones with something newish to offer to the series, GW has covered alot of fantasy territory with the races

Foegnasher
07-03-2009, 20:45
Cathay/nippon/Ind.

we need a far east army book.

shady3
07-03-2009, 21:23
i think they should focus on releasing plastic model for every unit insted of creating new armys

Coram_Boy
07-03-2009, 21:27
I would like cathay or chaos dwarfs. But I've said this many different times on many different threads already...

dannyfave
07-03-2009, 21:28
i think they should focus on releasing plastic model for every unit insted of creating new armys

Thats not the point of this thread.

I would love to see a full Kislev book, They would bhave the liberty to make Kislevite stronger than the average human ... while they are at it they should make a far east and Chaos dwarf book aswell.

Laser guided fanatic
07-03-2009, 21:39
Junglemen!

Railgunner
07-03-2009, 22:04
A Dogs of War book.

RG

Gazak Blacktoof
07-03-2009, 22:12
Unified chaos army

The man read my mind.

havoc626
07-03-2009, 23:01
I really think that they should concentrate on balancing list and such with the current armies, but if they did make a new army, I would like to see Cathay/Nippon in the mix, as the 'good' armies are getting outnumbered on the simple number of choices against the 'evil' armies.

Mind you, that is if they make an entirely new army, as they have made Chaos Dwarfs and Kislev before. Personnally, I'd like to see Kislev get some love the most, as they have the coolest models out there. (Okay, coolest model, I love that bear.)

Miffmoff
07-03-2009, 23:07
I know their probably all dead but an old ones army would be very cool but probably very broken as they aren't they meant to be really powerful

Coram_Boy
07-03-2009, 23:15
yes, given old ones are practically omniscient and omnipotent (and they have very hi-tech apparatus) they should probably cost about 100000 points each - it means that it's probably the most cost effective army out there, then. But I wouldn't collect it - it's skaven all the way for me.

MalusCalibur
07-03-2009, 23:19
No new armies, ever again. Except maybe Chaos Dwarfs, if they ever come back.
I do not want eastern-sterotype armies in my WHFB.

MalusCalibur

Stuffburger
07-03-2009, 23:24
None. I'd like to see GW develop and balance the armies that are out there already. 1-2 additional new types of units (NOT SPECIAL CHARACTERS) for each army, well balanced armylists where each army has 3-4 viable builds and no useless choices and winning tournaments comes down to player skill only... That's what I want to see.

I wouldn't be too angry to see CD or DoW get done though. DoW in particular since they can be added to existing armies to help them diversify a little.

W0lf
07-03-2009, 23:35
Not another human army.
Not chaos dwarfs (cliche, dont need de/he, cd/d and chaos/empire at the same time).

I would however love to see what could be done with a reworked DoW army with new plastics. Fishmen would also be cool.

mr.kislev
07-03-2009, 23:37
kislev plain and simple kislev

selone
07-03-2009, 23:37
Whilst it may not be the point of the thread, I honestly think they shoudl work on the stuff they have rather than another amy.
That said if I absolutely have to choose an army that doesn't have an army book - chaos dwarfs, followed by DoW/Kislev

dannyfave
08-03-2009, 06:09
kislev plain and simple kislev

Hey you're rad!

Lord Dan
08-03-2009, 07:06
Hey you're rad!

I don't follow you, fellow Dan-in-arms.

mr.kislev
08-03-2009, 07:49
Hey you're rad!
wait to you see my project log (starting in a few days)

dannyfave
08-03-2009, 07:52
I don't follow you, fellow Dan-in-arms.

I am smitten by Kislev, as anyone over at Warhammer-empire.com will tell you.

Hobgoblyn
08-03-2009, 08:49
Hobgoblin Hegemony, of course!

Darkmaw
08-03-2009, 08:59
A time-travelling space race....maybe Eldar. :D

chivalrous
08-03-2009, 11:53
Seraphim/Angels/Birdmen/Flying Beastmen?

An army consisting entirely of flying infantry (think Harpies) and flying creatures (great eagles or similar sized Wyrms).

I haven't considered how this would work but there would be two basic troop types.
Firstly creatures with Goblin stats so you could have hordes them (about 5 pts a model before you started buying equipment for them)

Secondly an elf sized flying creature with elf stats (about 11 points per model before equipment).

All models in the army with Spears and Lances are treated as if they are mounted (so no fighting in ranks).
Models still get to benefit from the handweapon and shield rule if they choose to use this combination of weapons.

All units, excluding Eagles, warhawks and bird swarms, inflict a single impact hit for every model in base contact at the strength of that model on the turn they charge. So, for example, a unit with a frontage of five models that manages to get them all into base contact with an enemy unit would inflict 5 impact hits. if you only clipped the enemy unit with a single model, you'd only inflict a single impact hit, regardless of your frontage.

Units follow same rules as beastmen where ranks and rank bonuses are concerned.

Characters

Lord/Hero 90/165 pts. Same stats as the equivalent Elven characters, options for Light armour, Shields, Halberds and Lances.

Wizard Lord (L3)/Wizard (L2):- 110/255 points. Same stats as the equivalent elven counterpart. 40 pts. for +1 magic level. Heavens and beasts magic.

Core

Small creatures US10+ 6 pts. with spears as a standard weapon and options; shields(1pt), swap spears for javelins, upgrades for a musician and a champion.

elf-sized creatures US10+ 13 pts. with spears and shields as standard, options for musician and a unit champion

Bird swarms US1+ bases. Stats as Bat swarms, obviously without the Undead rule. See Vampire counts book for cost and stats.

Special

high flyers US10+ 16 pts. elf sized creatures with spears and shields as standard. options for musicians and champions. Flying High Rule (see 5th edition) and Hit and Run rule (see wood elves?) may not use both rules in the same turn.

Lancers US10+ 15 pts. elf sized creatures with lances and shields as standard. Options for light armour (2pts) musicians and champions

Warhawk Units US1-5 models 25 pts. each. M2 WS3 BS3 S4 T3 W2 I4 A2 Ld7 fly

Rare

Great Eagles US1-2 50 pts. See High Elf army book

Honour Guard US 0-1 per character 5-14 elite elf sized creature with Spears, Heavy Armour,WS5 S4 I6 Ld9. Options to take shields (1pt), double ended spears (2 hands, +1A, +1S on charge) (2pt), Halberds (1pt). Stubborn if led by general.

The idea needs at least another another rare choice and the points need tweaking.
I have kept them deliberately fragile and tried to keep them hard hitting only on the charge.

of course I'd put Chaos Dwarfs out first and a Dogs of War list out with rules for making it primarily Estalian/Tilian

lachlanwizard
08-03-2009, 13:36
dogs of war with specific traits based upon the origin of the general. would allow a deep fluff upgrade on most human nations and would allow a mix of preexisting models. i wouldnt mind another pdf even, its partly the dogs of war charm.

Hubman
08-03-2009, 14:24
Like most I prefer that GW settles all existing armies first - including balancing them better than now.

Then Iīd like to see Dogs of War and Chaos Dwarfs get decent army books. They have existed for over a decade now and so many players still have an interest in them. It would only be right to at least give them a list if not new models/plastics.

As for new armies, well, it is getting harder and harder to come up with new fighting styles. Each army has to be different and there are only so many playing styles. OK was original and novel but as whole the army book now faces power problems and it is possible any new army could face the same problem.

However I have a personal preference for an Estalian army book. Why? Well, it is a major area of the Old World and is much closer to any of the other existing armies than Cathay, Nippon or even Araby. Despite their proximity, Estalia almost never features in other army books which I find strange. The trouble would be in creating a human army that plays differently from Bretonnia and Empire while being competitive as well... That may be the reason they donīt already have an army book of course. Anyway I find it more believable to write Estalia into the current WFB world than eastern armies.

For Araby, Cathay and Nippon there are less game problems. Sure, these are all human realms too, but can be differed from each other much more easily (although Cathay could end up looking more like the Empire than we could imagine right now).

Kind regards,

Hubman

W0lf
08-03-2009, 16:05
Infact ive got a new one to add;

Army book; Balanced/torunament.

The book would fix all the current abuses in army books to level the playing field. GW would then sort their act out when releasing the next books after.

Ri-xthoal Lord of Lustira
08-03-2009, 16:51
I agree. The only armies that should be is the army that is being call back for some time and it's the only that should start out the 8th edition and no new army should be made for we are m fine of what we got and that army is none other then CHOAS DWARF. they were the first one to be made before they stop producing them and it is time to bring them back.

By the way Kislev should be part of the empire.

Ri-xthoal Lord of Lustira
08-03-2009, 16:55
Like most I prefer that GW settles all existing armies first - including balancing them better than now.

Then Iīd like to see Dogs of War and Chaos Dwarfs get decent army books. They have existed for over a decade now and so many players still have an interest in them. It would only be right to at least give them a list if not new models/plastics.

As for new armies, well, it is getting harder and harder to come up with new fighting styles. Each army has to be different and there are only so many playing styles. OK was original and novel but as whole the army book now faces power problems and it is possible any new army could face the same problem.

However I have a personal preference for an Estalian army book. Why? Well, it is a major area of the Old World and is much closer to any of the other existing armies than Cathay, Nippon or even Araby. Despite their proximity, Estalia almost never features in other army books which I find strange. The trouble would be in creating a human army that plays differently from Bretonnia and Empire while being competitive as well... That may be the reason they donīt already have an army book of course. Anyway I find it more believable to write Estalia into the current WFB world than eastern armies.

For Araby, Cathay and Nippon there are less game problems. Sure, these are all human realms too, but can be differed from each other much more easily (although Cathay could end up looking more like the Empire than we could imagine right now).

Kind regards,

Hubman

Araby is a maybe because we love to see war elephants and djinn and Amonzon is another.after that, NO more new like fishmen, etc and focus on fixing the army rules.

dijit80
08-03-2009, 17:14
I think a 'human kingdoms' army book would be great, covering the Estalian/Tilean city states, the wild Kislevs and their mercenary forces. This would cover many things. As has already been suggested the idea that the origin of the general flavours the forces would be cool. A tilean general allows certain units to be core (e.g. crossbow mean), an estalian general allows other units as core (e.g. pikemen), whilst a kislev would allow kislev units as core. Otherwise they'd go as special or rare choices. Soemthing along those sort of lines i think.

BilboBaggins
08-03-2009, 17:15
Chaos Dwarf and Dogs of War, they need some love from GW.

dannyfave
08-03-2009, 18:37
A time-travelling space race....maybe Eldar. :D

This is horrible...

Lord Dan
08-03-2009, 18:48
I'm glad CD don't have a new book. I think their fluff is silly and their concept is unoriginal (come on, "Dark" Dwarfs? Let's get some "Chaos Lizards" in the mix!). That said I don't have a preference as to what they do, as long as it's not CD or anything else "Chaos-spawned".

BilboBaggins
08-03-2009, 19:04
I'm glad CD don't have a new book. I think their fluff is silly and their concept is unoriginal (come on, "Dark" Dwarfs? Let's get some "Chaos Lizards" in the mix!). That said I don't have a preference as to what they do, as long as it's not CD or anything else "Chaos-spawned".

Chaos Dwarfs have been mutated by Chaos, they DO NOT follow the current 4Chaos Gods.

All Hail Hashut.

Lord Dan
08-03-2009, 19:09
Chaos Dwarfs have been mutated by Chaos, they DO NOT follow the current 4Chaos Gods.

All Hail Hashut.

I'm just not a fan of the "good and evil version" spinoffs.

selone
08-03-2009, 20:00
they make no sense bakground wise but I just love the army :)

redben
08-03-2009, 20:03
I want a law-themed variation of the Empire army filled with Witch Hunters, Flagellants and the like.

Aurellis
08-03-2009, 20:08
I want a law-themed variation of the Empire army filled with Witch Hunters, Flagellants and the like.

The problem with that idea is that you can already have Flagellants and I think it'd be too much of a parallel to 40k's Inquisition armies.

redben
08-03-2009, 20:13
It's not a problem for me and hence a perfectly valid response to the question.

Aurellis
08-03-2009, 20:21
It's not a problem for me and hence a perfectly valid response to the question.

Indeed, I was just voicing an opinion also :) I would like to see some Empire state specific rules, even if they were just in the new Empire armybook.

swarmofseals
08-03-2009, 20:27
I'm gonna echo a lot of other replies and say I'd prefer the current lists be balanced and more plastics be added than an overall new army.

THAT SAID, if I had to pick something new...

Cathay/Nippon/Ind/Araby would all potentially be interesting but I don't trust GW to avoid sinking into the morass of ugly stereotyping. It wouldn't be good for the game. That said, I think this could be done well if it was based more on the mythology of these cultures ... I just don't trust GW to do it well. A mixed human/spirit force kind of like what Magic did with Kamigawa block would be pretty nifty.

Amazons would also be really cool. I'd love to see an all or predominantly female army. That said, I'm afraid they'd just end up being too much like wood elves.

In terms of new stuff, what I'd most like to see is some kind of "good guys" answer to chaos demons. This would require a significant shift in the fluff though -- perhaps the Old Ones begin to return to combat the chaos incursion. Just like you don't actually field Chaos Gods on the table you wouldn't be fielding the Old Ones themselves either, but rather their avatars, emissaries, heralds, armies etc. I think this would actually be a really interesting fluff reboot for warhammer, which has been getting steadily darker over time. This would give the good guys some renewed hope, but also cause a lot of potential fallout. For example, I could envision a schism in the empire between Sigmarite purists/orthodox and those who begin worshipping the Old Ones. Similarly, the Lizardmen might be reinvigorated by the return of the Old Ones and either seek to return to dominance or seek to ally with those factions in the existing "good" nations who pledge service to the Old Ones. I could also see some interesting twists for the Elves, whose pantheon might be cast in a new light. It wouldn't even be too far fetched to imagine a portion of the High Elf and Dark Elf forces seeking some kind of reunification only to be attacked from both sides by their more stubborn kin...

All in all, I think that if GW really wanted to mix things up, that would be the way to do it.

Lord Dan
08-03-2009, 20:28
I would like to see some Empire state specific rules, even if they were just in the new Empire armybook.

I would love to see that too, I just see some states becoming absurdly powerful and others getting shafted.

Nuln: Due to their practice and precision with firearms, all handgunners are at +1 to hit.

Stirland: Since your army comprises of a bunch of citizen-militia hicks from the woods your army is at a blanket -1 Ld.

redben
08-03-2009, 20:30
Indeed, I was just voicing an opinion also :) I would like to see some Empire state specific rules, even if they were just in the new Empire armybook.

I would be happy for a variant army list to be included in the main rulebook. In fact, of all the WFB armies only High Elves rival Empire for me in the dullness stakes. Just the prospect of playing the army is enough to send me to sleep. Yet in playing WFRP I would be more than happy for the entire campaign to be located entirely in the Empire and contain nothing but humans.

redben
08-03-2009, 20:32
I would love to see that too, I just see some states becoming absurdly powerful and others getting shafted.

Nuln: Due to their practice and precision with firearms, all handgunners are at +1 to hit.

Stirland: Since your army comprises of a bunch of citizen-militia hicks from the woods your army is at a blanket -1 Ld.

The WoC book is a good example of one where not only do you have lots of different troop types but they are very customisable. I see no reason why something similar couldn't be done with the Empire book allowing for a number of different effective builds whilst adding a lot of flavour.

BilboBaggins
08-03-2009, 20:43

Stirland's response: But since we are next to the Moot we get Skirmishing Halfling archer as core and Since we are a southern state we get to upgrade Spears to Pikes. :)

mrtn
08-03-2009, 20:45
I think that some new Arabyan and Kislevite units would be nice, I'd rather get new units than new armybooks, they could use Empire rules or something.
I'm not particularly fond of chaos dwarfs, and I don't think GW could make Amazons without going the "OMG! Titties!!11" route.

Guitarkalle
08-03-2009, 21:05
Amazons would also be really cool. I'd love to see an all or predominantly female army. That said, I'm afraid they'd just end up being too much like wood elves.

In terms of new stuff, what I'd most like to see is some kind of "good guys" answer to chaos demons. This would require a significant shift in the fluff though -- perhaps the Old Ones begin to return to combat the chaos incursion. Just like you don't actually field Chaos Gods on the table you wouldn't be fielding the Old Ones themselves either, but rather their avatars, emissaries, heralds, armies etc. I think this would actually be a really interesting fluff reboot for warhammer, which has been getting steadily darker over time. This would give the good guys some renewed hope, but also cause a lot of potential fallout. For example, I could envision a schism in the empire between Sigmarite purists/orthodox and those who begin worshipping the Old Ones. Similarly, the Lizardmen might be reinvigorated by the return of the Old Ones and either seek to return to dominance or seek to ally with those factions in the existing "good" nations who pledge service to the Old Ones. I could also see some interesting twists for the Elves, whose pantheon might be cast in a new light. It wouldn't even be too far fetched to imagine a portion of the High Elf and Dark Elf forces seeking some kind of reunification only to be attacked from both sides by their more stubborn kin...

All in all, I think that if GW really wanted to mix things up, that would be the way to do it.

An amazon-type army with mostly females would be kinda cool, feels like we need more female models.

Also, in regards to the "good army". I agree that it would be really nice to have an army opposite to vampire/chaos. Like "god servants", holy knights, crusaders, inquisadors, angels etc.

This guy comes in mind: http://www.absoluteanime.com/hellsing_ultimate/alexander.jpg

and something like this maybe? http://a672.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/12/l_16c7714fe2599709e799b45110af68f7.jpg

also... bear riders!! :)

Gaargod
08-03-2009, 21:28
Bah, just get GW to create the models for the very excellent Cathay army already created (search it on Google). The whole thing has fluff, masses of choices, is longer than most current books and is pretty well balanced.

Stuffburger
08-03-2009, 21:30
Space marines

Core: Space marine. Unit size one, 500 points. M7 WS7 BS6 S6 T7 W4 A5 I6 Ld 10, unbreakable, Itp, -3+ Armor save, bolter.

Bolter: 8x Multiple shots, S7, AP, range 60", d3 wounds. May be fired as normal when in close combat in addition to counting as an additional hand weapon. Shots count as flaming.

I think there even models out.

the_under_empire_clan
08-03-2009, 21:32
i was thinking along the lines of like an avoin army not sure how that'd work out since theyd all be flyers .....thoughts
(side note) after gw gets all the other stuff at hand in order. think avoin army would be a good idea quite different from everything else out there

the_under_empire_clan
08-03-2009, 21:38
The WoC book is a good example of one where not only do you have lots of different troop types but they are very customisable. I see no reason why something similar couldn't be done with the Empire book allowing for a number of different effective builds whilst adding a lot of flavour.
because empire allready have the cheapest guns, extemely low costing hero's, great magic items, and dont forget detachments. Letting units like that have great weapons, are you crazy.It would be the cheapest thing ever ha elves strike first, well counter charge with great weapons good bye anything and everything.

Lord Dan
08-03-2009, 21:44
Space marines

Core: Space marine. Unit size one, 500 points. M7 WS7 BS6 S6 T7 W4 A5 I6 Ld 10, unbreakable, Itp, -3+ Armor save, bolter.

Bolter: 8x Multiple shots, S7, AP, range 60", d3 wounds. May be fired as normal when in close combat in addition to counting as an additional hand weapon. Shots count as flaming.

This reminds me of that "Movie Space Marine" article, where they made rules for marines based more on their fluff. It was something like 300 points for 1 marine with a "twin linked" 2+ armor save, 5 wounds, and all kinds of crazy abilities.

Ultimo ninja
08-03-2009, 21:59
I believe GW already has a ton of miniatures to release for the armys they already have. there are allot of units and characters that still dont have models...get those done first, consolidate the game in this edition, then MAYBE introduce a new army in the new edition box set.

redben
08-03-2009, 22:57
because empire allready have the cheapest guns, extemely low costing hero's, great magic items, and dont forget detachments. Letting units like that have great weapons, are you crazy.It would be the cheapest thing ever ha elves strike first, well counter charge with great weapons good bye anything and everything.

I'm suggesting the book be entirely redone to both add some much needed flavour and more than one effective build.

zak
08-03-2009, 23:26
I would like to see CD make a return. They already have the basis of an army and a fan base. However, I agree with others in that GW should release all of the other armies first before starting anything new.

Chainaxe07
08-03-2009, 23:33
Dark Elf cult of pleasure.
Wont mind to see that back.
Oh, and an evil human army, not one made up or filthy mutants, just a plain old evil army.
Lastly: nagash undead!

dannyfave
09-03-2009, 09:02
Once again, this is meant to be a wish list of what armies would be cool to add, not a "what do they need to do with our armies" thread.

Ofcourse Gw needs to release models for the unit types that do not have them, of course they need to bring out more plastic sets and of course they need to balance everything out, but that is not what we are talking about my friends.

Aurellis
09-03-2009, 09:45
Space marines

Sadly I'd put good odds on that book coming out!

Empire needs alot more depth and character, there are so many more levels to the Empire that have been explored in other areas of GW that in it's core game it still surprises me that the Empire is represented by such a two-dimensional armybook, even those dirty man-rats get there own clan-specific rules.

Peegore
09-03-2009, 11:00
Thought about this last week. Seems after an army book is released, we the Warseer masses quite often think "we could do better... what were they thinking... they should involve us more" etc.

Well, wouldn't it be fun if we, between us all, put together a viable, lets say Skaven, army list, playtested it in our own groups and tweaked it to 'perfection' ( i.e. more balanced than most recent offerings ) before GW put out their book ;)

Not only would it be a fun thing to do ( what, beating their own deadline with a much better list'd be golden ), but ultimately might prove once and for all what many people say here...they need our input.

Summary... no new army, just an army WE are happy with.

Matt1982
09-03-2009, 11:42
I'd like to second the call for variant Empire state lists, though I can already see a certain type of player rubbing their hands with glee at the idea of a Nuln Empire army made entirely of cannons and hand gunners and led by a cadre of engineers, all at a reduced price - to represent them coming from the Empire's foundry city.

There's so much fluff for the Empire though, the army book just seems very shallow for them and hardly details the specific states at all, a crying shame in my mind. Plenty of opportunity for state specific mini-books like the chapter specific Space Marine ones.

Gazak Blacktoof
09-03-2009, 12:09
Well, wouldn't it be fun if we, between us all, put together a viable, lets say Skaven, army list, playtested it in our own groups and tweaked it to 'perfection' ( i.e. more balanced than most recent offerings ) before GW put out their book ;)

Yep that's a good idea. You do need a definite direction and some solid concepts for the army though. I'd say its going to be impossible to write a book by committee.

If you're serious about this I'd suggest doing a bit of research into what people want by looking at other projects in the rules development forum, as well as keeping your ear to the ground. You'll need a few committed people if you're going to produce a quality product at the end.

There's an art sub-forum on Warseer so you might be able to convince a few people to produce some nice images for the book, or use a few existing pieces with permission.

redben
09-03-2009, 12:32
It would be a project that needed some definite leaders to set the direction and ultimately make the decisions. That would be the biggest hurdle in doing something like this.

BilboBaggins
09-03-2009, 13:08
I would like to see CD make a return. They already have the basis of an army and a fan base. However, I agree with others in that GW should release all of the other armies first before starting anything new.

The Chaos Dwarfs are not a new army, just the last of the Ravening Hoards armies that hasn't received their fair update in years.

Peegore
09-03-2009, 14:21
@ Gazak and redben

Yes, I appreciate that the enormity of such an idea. And how my post may seem superficial in its initial content. But I'd bet right now we could put a list of 5-10 names from these forums with the right amount of clarity and level-headedness to complete such a task.

I'm not saying we should do it; but I'd put money on the fact that we could do it.

Let's see what other people think. If after a bit of discussion it proves to be too unwieldy fair enough. It was, after all, just a musing ( not amusing... I take my warhammer very seriously :) )

badgeraddict
09-03-2009, 15:14
I would like to see kislev, with a full book and range.

That would be sweetski!

:)

Ravenousone2
09-03-2009, 15:32
Two Words. CHAOS DWARFS. lol i'd like to see them bring that army back. i never played it back in 4th edition but friend of mine did and he really seemed to enjoy the army.I was too busy playing Undead and HE's back then.

Dokushin
09-03-2009, 15:37
I'd like to see a Spirit or Elemental type army, neutral or good, to bring a little 'magical being' theme to something besides DoC.

W0lf
09-03-2009, 15:37
But I'd bet right now we could put a list of 5-10 names from these forums with the right amount of clarity and level-headedness to complete such a task.

Id be up for it. I can certainly balance things better then any GW employee as i actually play the game and try to break it.

Zilverug
09-03-2009, 15:39
I'd love to see a Tilean army.
With loads of pike and crossbow armed infantry...

kramplarv
09-03-2009, 15:54
Id be up for it. I can certainly balance things better then any GW employee as i actually play the game and try to break it.

somehow I really really doubt this...

Give it a shot :)

redben
09-03-2009, 16:25
@ Gazak and redben

Yes, I appreciate that the enormity of such an idea. And how my post may seem superficial in its initial content. But I'd bet right now we could put a list of 5-10 names from these forums with the right amount of clarity and level-headedness to complete such a task.

I'm not saying we should do it; but I'd put money on the fact that we could do it.

Let's see what other people think. If after a bit of discussion it proves to be too unwieldy fair enough. It was, after all, just a musing ( not amusing... I take my warhammer very seriously :) )

Go for it my man. Start a brainstorming thread to see what people want from a Skaven army/think needs changing with the Skaven army, see if you can draw out some common themes or mutually agreed up 'good ideas' and go from there.

Famder
09-03-2009, 18:27
Cathay/Nippon/Ind/Araby would all potentially be interesting but I don't trust GW to avoid sinking into the morass of ugly stereotyping. It wouldn't be good for the game. That said, I think this could be done well if it was based more on the mythology of these cultures ... I just don't trust GW to do it well. A mixed human/spirit force kind of like what Magic did with Kamigawa block would be pretty nifty.
I don't get this sentiment. No one is greatly offended by the Lizardmen stereotyping new world natives. No one is offended by stereotyping Scandinavians with Warriors of Chaos. Why does everyone assume that GW will suddenly decide every Far East army should be a walking insult to the cultures?

Hrogoff the Destructor
09-03-2009, 19:38
I don't get this sentiment. No one is greatly offended by the Lizardmen stereotyping new world natives. No one is offended by stereotyping Scandinavians with Warriors of Chaos. Why does everyone assume that GW will suddenly decide every Far East army should be a walking insult to the cultures?

Double standards.

Netherghoul
09-03-2009, 20:22
All over Jes Goodwin Skaven army
A good model of Nagash...grmble...
Proper looking Chaos dwarfs
proper looking zombies
bring back the pygmees as well

lord ugwart
09-03-2009, 20:31
I would'nt mind an all Eshin army.

Dogma
09-03-2009, 20:40
Zombies (decent ones anyway).
or
Badgermen.

Having said that a Badger themed Skaven army would be quite plausable. (and really cool)

Rubicon
09-03-2009, 21:56
Chaos Dwarves. A magic weilding dwarf on a flying bull?

Why yes, I will!

Netherghoul
09-03-2009, 23:30
or
Badgermen.

Having said that a Badger themed Skaven army would be quite plausable. (and really cool)

Bob Olley has been making some fab woodland creatures, armed to the teeth. love em!

Lord Dan
10-03-2009, 00:58
I would'nt mind an all Eshin army.

Check out the Storm of Chaos book. There's an all-Eshin Skaven list in there.

Gazak Blacktoof
10-03-2009, 01:09

I still think the current ones look great tough I''m not sure what they look like next to the new skeletons as I don't have any of those.

Wargames factory just released new zombies if you're looking for an alternative.

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/_product_16676/Zombie_Horde

RohanCaptain
10-03-2009, 02:37
This might get shotdown quick here, but how about some kind "Roman" themed army. I don't mean empire, but Roman like Roman legions.

You can have Chariots, decent cavalry, excellent infantry that can put together a testudo, giving it kick azz defense against arrows, no warmachines though, but then it takes a whole turn to undo the testudo. You can also give them real high leadership, but if a unit runs, the turn they rally, every 10th man takes a S3 hit, like the Romans did for Legions that ran (This would require it to be a Horde type army). You can have ballistas as well. Elite units of Centurions, and your General can have bodyguard pretorians. Rare gladiators who are tough as nutz and are frenzied. Maybe animals as well. The mages/priests can take a Lore of Gods, and it's a somewhat mix lore of all the Ancient Gods.

If something like this came out, I'm ditching $500 that day to get the full army.

Anvilbrow
10-03-2009, 02:40
"The Swarm."

An insectoid race, deep underground, disturbed by Dwarfs or something.

In fact, I have a working copy of the army including about two hundred tyranids based for fantasy. All poisoned attacks, leadership gets worse the further they are from the hive point (think where they erupt from the ground). Rather than armour, they all have chitin and instead of magic items, they have adaptations.

Before you cry "Tyranids," much of the idea is based off the Tyranids, combined with Warmaster-like leadership rules and sprinkled liberally with real-world insect terminology and imagery.

I'll be releasing the army upon unsuspecting forces in the mighty empires (1st ed.-the only edition) campaign I'm running...

ChaosVC
10-03-2009, 06:38
Smurfs, they are blue, they live in mushroms and they are the main ingredients for gold.