07-03-2009, 21:35
Slann mage priest 275
3 disciplines 100
all spells from 1 lore
extra dice
enemy wizard loses 6's
BSB 25
Cupped Hands of the Old Ones 45

I'm of the opinion that Slann's should be cheap. Dirty cheap. People seem to be so scared of miscasting, without considering huge point drop and ability increase between editions. If you miscast, grin and bear it, it's part of the game. A one off 45 point item that could still not transfer the miscast (and still end your own magic phase), doesn't add up when you consider the wounds the Slann has, and the miniscule chance of rolling double 1 (and if you do that, you smile, and get on with it! It will happen even with the hands!) Dropping that gives you 47 points spare total, and then we come to Disciplines. Personally, dropping a discipline (all spells) in favour of Plaque of Tepok (so you know 5 spells from a lore) will give you another 20 points spare, to add in Banehead (essential) for a save of 53 points altogether so far. Your Slann still does everything it should do, but now won't epic fail vs Dwarves or low magic armies, because after all, if there arn't any wizards to pass the cup to? You've wasted points and still been slapped with a bas situation (this just happened to me, I double 1'd my Slann, no Cup either way but Dwarves abound, took 10 Temple Guard with him...)

16 temple guard war banner command 316

My personal preference here would be to drop the Temple Guard down to 13, saving 48 points from the unit, alongside the Warbanner, for 73, and add the Sun Standard of Huanchi for ranged protection to make your numbers balance out (in combination with the Engine's ward save), this will give you 83 spare points.

Skink priest level 2 100
Engine of the Gods 290
Cube of darkness 40

This guy's fine, personally, Diadem and a Dispel Scroll will go further, and do more than the Cube (unless you roll the re-rolls) but it's down to preference so stick with it.

Saurus Scar veteran 85
Light armour 5
Great weapon 6
Cold One 20

I don't see this guy being of any great use. Although it's great to have cheap characters, the Jaguar Charm instead of Cold One Scar Veteran will give you another spell effectively, and give you something to hunt down small units, and crucially, War Machines that can threaten you Engine. And it's only 5 points more.

18 Saurus Warriors spears 216
Full command 30

15 Saurus Warriors spears 180
Command 30

Due to your flying Scar/Mounted, drop the unit champions, and use the points to give both units spears?

10 Skink skirmishers 70

Salamander- extra skink 80

Salamander- extra skink 80

1998 points.

---

You've enough spare points to add a second chunk of skirmishers now, giving your insanely small unit count a much needed boost, giving you an extra screen, diverter, and more offensive material to lay down covering fire as your small but solid block marches forwards.

Hope this helps!

SamChaosInc
08-03-2009, 01:52
Actually if you read the description Cupped Hands says on a roll of 2+ the miscast is ignored and if there is an enemy wizard in Los etc. etc. So in the event of rolling 2 or more, it doesn't matter if there is an enemy wizard present or not, you still don't take the damage, plus the rules stating it being ignored should mean it is as if you didn't miscast so your phase continues.

Gork or Possibly Mork
08-03-2009, 01:52
Here's my list @2000 pts. Take what you will from it.
12 PD+PowerStone+Boundspells+Slann's +1 PD per spell=One heck of a magic phase:D 7 DD of built in magic defense is enough for 2000 pts.

It has lots of Magic and built in magic defense ( but nothing that wouldn't be useful against all armies ) MSU's of cheap Spear Saurus, I use the Skinks to screen, shoot, and redirect. Sallies on the flanks for extra shooting and to help with combat. Terradons and Chameleons for warmachines, magehunt, marchblock duties.

--------------------------------Lords/Heroes------------------------------
[785]

Slann - [400]
Focus of Mystery
The Focused Rumination
BSB-WarBanner
-Rod of the Storm

Skink Priest - [135]
-Lvl.2
-Plague of Tepok
-Power Stone

Skink Priest - [125]
-Lvl. 2
- Blood Statuette of Spite

Skink Priest - [125]
-Lvl.2
- Cloak of Feathers

--------------------------------Core--------------------------------
[600]

10 Skinks - [50]

10 Skinks - [50]

10 Skinks - [50]

12 Saurus Warriors - [150]
-Spears
-Musician

-Spears
-Musician

-Spears
-Musician

--------------------------------Special--------------------------------
[465]

16 Temple Guard - [291]
-Full Command

3 Terradons - [90]

7 Chameleon Skinks [84]

--------------------------------Rare--------------------------------
[150]

1 Salamander - [75]

1 Salamander - [75]

infernus31
08-03-2009, 13:52
Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm of the opinion that Slann's should be cheap. Dirty cheap. People seem to be so scared of miscasting, without considering huge point drop and ability increase between editions. If you miscast, grin and bear it, it's part of the game. A one off 45 point item that could still not transfer the miscast (and still end your own magic phase), doesn't add up when you consider the wounds the Slann has, and the miniscule chance of rolling double 1 (and if you do that, you smile, and get on with it! It will happen even with the hands!) Dropping that gives you 47 points spare total, and then we come to Disciplines. Personally, dropping a discipline (all spells) in favour of Plaque of Tepok (so you know 5 spells from a lore) will give you another 20 points spare, to add in Banehead (essential) for a save of 53 points altogether so far. Your Slann still does everything it should do, but now won't epic fail vs Dwarves or low magic armies, because after all, if there arn't any wizards to pass the cup to? You've wasted points and still been slapped with a bas situation (this just happened to me, I double 1'd my Slann, no Cup either way but Dwarves abound, took 10 Temple Guard with him...)

As noted the cupped hands does ignore the first miscast regardless of whether an enemy wizard is in range. So I think it is worth its points, even in games where there arent enemy wizards. When it does work vs an opposing vampire lord or greater daemon then its 10x worth it.

My personal preference here would be to drop the Temple Guard down to 13, saving 48 points from the unit, alongside the Warbanner, for 73, and add the Sun Standard of Huanchi for ranged protection to make your numbers balance out (in combination with the Engine's ward save), this will give you 83 spare points.

Huanchi does look a nice banner, but often my skirmishing skinks tend to block Los for a while anyway. Plus the additional plus +1 combat res works well for this unit. It means it has +3 due to BSB and banner before anything else.

This guy's fine, personally, Diadem and a Dispel Scroll will go further, and do more than the Cube (unless you roll the re-rolls) but it's down to preference so stick with it.

It may be because I loved it in 6th ed list but I enjoy the difference between a scroll and the cube, plus it works particuarly well vs vampires. could try swapping it though.

I don't see this guy being of any great use. Although it's great to have cheap characters, the Jaguar Charm instead of Cold One Scar Veteran will give you another spell effectively, and give you something to hunt down small units, and crucially, War Machines that can threaten you Engine. And it's only 5 points more.

His fear is the main reason why i rate it over the charm, making a saurus unit (the bigger unit) immune to fear is a major asset vs the top tier armies. Plus I prefer guaranteed movement 8 instead of a flying move that can be cancelled by a cunning opponent.

Due to your flying Scar/Mounted, drop the unit champions, and use the points to give both units spears?

umm they have spears already?

You've enough spare points to add a second chunk of skirmishers now, giving your insanely small unit count a much needed boost, giving you an extra screen, diverter, and more offensive material to lay down covering fire as your small but solid block marches forwards.

Do you really thinks it that small? Its much bigger then my 6th ed one (3 units of skinks, salamanders kroxigor and temple guard)

Gork or possibly mork:
Nice list, hows it fairing?

Gork or Possibly Mork
08-03-2009, 20:37
Gork or possibly mork:
Nice list, hows it fairing?

Pretty well actually. I only played 2 games with it. We usually play 2250 pt games and my lists at 2250 are usually drastically different. So far Im 2-0 with this list. I got a massacere against Dark Elves. Skink screen then "Hatred Bait" followed by saurus flank charges gotta love it. Sallies did well. I unleashed hell on turn 3 magic. My Slann had Lore of Metal. I used the Cloak of feathers skink priest to channel which was very effective. It was brutal with all those unexpected bounds and the power stone. I killed his sorceress with the blood statuette and rod of storms did a number on his coldones. After that I took over. I did pretty much the same vs. vampire counts. but only got a minor victory. Blood statue did nothing against a vampire hero but the rod killed some Black Knights. I used Lore of Light against the vamps which is always helpful. I got a few cleansing flares off which kept his raising ( whatever got past my 7 DD ) in check. I also got a dazzling brightness off on a combat that was looking bad for me. There were quite a few hairy moments though with fear and my small saurus blocks but I had too many units for my opponent to deal with. He did manage to kill two of my priest near the end. It was a really close game that could have gone either way.

You have to be really careful to protect those priest especially since at one point you want to sneak those bounds and power stone in a spectacular phase. I could have dropped a skink unit for becalming cogitation which would have been very useful but the extra skink unit is more useful against other armies.

Note: If you have only 12 saurus deploy them 5 wide instead of the standard 6 wide. The extra rank even if I lose 2 helps since I don't have banners on them. There also easier to move and screen which is very important with this list.

RiTides Nids
08-03-2009, 21:40
Gork and/or Mork- nice list! I like the idea of skinks ranked as cheap screeners and loading up on cheap skink priests to give an overwhelming tide of magic :). This is also what I'm planning to field... although I can't resist the idea of putting a kroxigor into the unit to give it some punch, even though it's no longer throw-away.

The original list looks good too, I'll be going with the 18 sized saurus blocks as well, although I've been really interested to see someone trying them at 12. Have you tried out the list you posted Infernus?

infernus31
08-03-2009, 22:33
Ive tried a list at 2250 which is basically - salamanders and add an engine of the gods. It works pretty well, having annihilated high elves, warriors of chaos with archaon and dwarves and played to a draw in my favour vs a nasty vampire counts list. The one game it lost was only by a dwarven hammer keeping the general stubborn and immune to fear. Ive also played against the dark elves and get draws or slight wins

the magic defenses have particuarly impressed, the ignoring 6s is very good, and the engine is just such a useful boost to units whether it be through the gungan shield or hitting things with lightning bolts. Lore of beasts coupled with the slann is just plain brilliant as well as all the spells have some benefit.