PDA

View Full Version : where to put wizzards in WOC

danny-d-b
07-03-2009, 20:56
where do you put your wizzards when your playing as WOC?
I used to put my wizzards both when I was playing empire and dogs of war in my missile units, however WOC don't have missile units and putting them outside units tends to see them shot by things where as in combat they die

so where do you put them?

snottlebocket
07-03-2009, 21:08
Anywhere I like really. Their stats are decent and they get a 2+ armoursave if you mount them. I'm really not too worried about them dying. I generally stick my sorc lord in a block of marauders, with the item selection I give him he's fairly assasin proof.

My scrollcaddy / caddies tend to ride out with my chaos knights, they got the same stats as a chaos knight anyway, if you feel like charging into my knights for a chance to get at a well armoured mage, feel free.

Lafkak
07-03-2009, 21:52
I personally like to put my sorcerers on Discs, but I have also toyed around with the idea of a Sorcerer with Diabolic Splendor in a unit of Knights so that not only the panic tests that he causes are taken at -1 but the Fear tests from his unit are at -1 as well...handy for not getting charged, or for keeping the sorcerer alive from 6s to hit.

Neknoh
07-03-2009, 21:57
We generally put them in the tactica, especially when it is on the first page, as there is absolutely no need to keep posting new threads for all chaos questions when there is a perfectly good one on the front page in the tactica forum.

As for where? Depends on whom I'm battling, the current setup is two on foot, one sorcerer and one sorcerer Lord, the Lord rolls with Shadow and the sorcerer with Book of Seecrets, so I've got two Steed of Shadow should I need them as well.

W0lf
07-03-2009, 22:51
i like 20 marauders with mos. (nothing else)

90 pts for 20 free wounds on 3 sorcs (usually 3 nurgle lvl 2's). Immune to panic and takes core. more pts for knights.

Zal
08-03-2009, 20:23
I play relatively small point games (1250) so i put my two nurgle sorcerers with my 2 blocks of chaos warriors, they have done very well with buboes and I have yet to have them die on me

Raverrn
09-03-2009, 15:06
I've had success mounting them and adding them to MoS horsemen - they're almost as maneuverable as a disc, but much harder to kill with shooting.

Arguleon-veq
09-03-2009, 15:27
I put one in my Warriors unit, 2 in a Marauder unit. One is mounted so he can get out of trouble if he needs to. My last goes with my Knights, but my Sorc Lord is kitted out to be decent in combat [4 S5, WS6 +1 S4. 0+ Save]

Jericho
09-03-2009, 19:02
My main army list, I put a L4 in with Knights, a L2 in with Chosen and have a disc-riding BSB with the Book of Secrets. It's worked out pretty well for the most part. I'm toying with Chariot mounted sorcs (which has worked out quite well so far with them being US5) and other stuff, but this has been pretty good so far.

MarcoPollo
09-03-2009, 23:21
Discs are good if you have alot of ranged spells. The ability to zoom in to safe areas are great. But you gotta think a half turn ahead if you want to keep them alive.

Otherwise, on a chaos steed. I run a level 1 with dispel scroll, and warrior familiar in this way. He usually goes with the marauder anvil, but can also join the knights or horsemen. Having the warior familiar helps when facing unit champions who might charge as you get to strike before combat starts with s5 autohit. Not bad.

Braad
10-03-2009, 07:51
Wizzards? Somewhere were they can start fleeing as soon as the battle starts...

Wizards though, can be a bit more fiddly, as I have the same problem with my O&G as you got: rarely a nice block of shooters to put them in.
It might be an idea to buy a small, cheap block of marauders to put them in and keep it in the back or something... It will be a nice target for shooting and stuff like that, though.
I guess a horse is also nice, given the extra armour save, but that's not going to keep them safe from warmachines.

What I sometimes do, is just stick 'm in my a block of warriors, and move them out the last turn before I get charge or go charging.

TheForsakenLord
10-03-2009, 10:51
I put mine in my marauders. But that said discs rock (zoom, zoom) . Hes really there for magic defense in my case so as long as he lives its all the same to me.

whiskeytango
11-03-2009, 04:08
this makes me think of a question for getting out of trouble: can a character run out of the back of the unit, or does he have to leave from the front

Jericho
11-03-2009, 05:33
I'm not 100% sure, to be honest. I don't know if it actually says that sort of thing anywhere. Obviously you measure from the spot if you're charging out of a unit... not sure about just plain leaving tho.

Lord Khabal
11-03-2009, 11:36
I put them on chariots (20 pts cheaper!!!) as they get a 2+AS or on a chaos steed riding with knights.
But usually in a chariot, especially if they are caddies (2 lvl1 + 4 scrolls)

MarcoPollo
12-03-2009, 00:19
They run out of the front of the unit in almost all cases (sometimes skaven can leave through the back).

If a mage is there for defense, he goes in a unit with a champion. If he is there for offense, he goes on a disc to get the best positions to shoot from.

LanceSaba
12-03-2009, 17:01
well as a fairly resent WoC myself i like to put my Nurgle wizards in my unit of chaos warriors and use their magnificent buboes to snipe out beefier champions and use my own champions to beat on the other weaker champions.