PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else thought of necrons?

TheEndIsHere
08-03-2009, 01:42
When I saw the trailer for Terminator Salvation (moreso the part with the bottomless robot) I kept thinking of necrons.

What do you guys think?

(I don't need a "OMFG NUB THE N3CR00Nz R SPACE zomby Robot, NOOBS! wtf, they coppied terminators!! ROFLOL thats fUNY cause HE comes FrOm The FuTUre aNd thEy Comems Frosm teh p4sTs1!1 LolZ1") I know that...

This trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcg5t0mT8V4&feature=channel)

At 1:37 to 1:39 and 1:56 to 1:57.

Thats how I see them.

D-End

Cocaloch
08-03-2009, 04:07
The heads are much more necron shaped than I recall. I guess thats why they look ever more like necrons.

Mannimarco
08-03-2009, 04:23
hmm they are very nercrony now, run before GW lawyers spring into action

Warforger
08-03-2009, 04:26
I do believe Terminator came out before Necrons......

There not THAT Necron, even then there not based off each other, Necrons are just zombies of 40k.

massey
08-03-2009, 05:40
Yes, the GW lawyers will spring into action.

"Look at those terminators! Don't they look suspiciously like our Necrons? Pay us royalties!"

And then the lawyers from the movie studio will say "Yes... they DO look suspiciously similar. Hey, our movie came out in 1984. When did you produce these 'Necrons'?"

And GW will say "Look over there! It's a wookie!" and then run for the hills.

Miggidy Mack
08-03-2009, 06:21
Yeah, when I saw Christian Bail crush a terminator in hand to hand I immediately though "hah, even guardsmen can beat necrons in hand to hand now".

Then my friend leaned over and said "hey, if you kill enough they will just phase out".

ehlijen
08-03-2009, 06:31
As long as necrons have 'We'll be back!', GW is in no position to sue the terminator franchise holders for anything.

souljaking09
08-03-2009, 06:34
I was actually thinking about making a terminator with the sunglasses:cool: catachan. For his display base I was going to have some dead:skull: necrons. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that noticed that.:)

ehlijen
08-03-2009, 06:37
While we're on the subject of necrons:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/medialibrary/images/other-size/darksmith_covers_1and2.jpg

Desalbert
08-03-2009, 06:41
Yeah, that one shot (and only that shot) where the machine is crawling in the dirt is shockingly like Necrons, it even appears (at least in the light) to have a more Nercon-ish gaunt face and a more obsidian colour to it.

At least that shot certainly looks necron; the others, not so much

Good call anyway.

-Des

CrownAxe
08-03-2009, 08:27
They have a Flayed One :D

Lord Damocles
08-03-2009, 11:43
They're far more like old school Necrons than the current ones.

I've always thought that the Terminator robots are more like the Iron Men than Necrons personally.

(See also: old school Scarabs and Stargate Replicators :D)

Laser guided fanatic
08-03-2009, 12:18

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/medialibrary/images/other-size/darksmith_covers_1and2.jpg

David Tennant is a minor Chaos God.

Sir_Turalyon
08-03-2009, 13:44
I was actually thinking about making a terminator with the sunglasses catachan.

Did similiar thing to my powerfist Catachan captain, with half of the face ripped off to show "bionics" below.

Nostro
08-03-2009, 13:47
What strikes me more is the resemblance to Battlestar Galactica's questions about being a human or a machine.

The faces are indeed more necrony than in the past movies, but it's only fair game (and could be coincidental).

TimLeeson
08-03-2009, 13:59

That is disturbing. Does the story involve a Tomb complex beneath London in 21st century ? Does the Doctor somehow get rid of the Void-Dragon using his magic-wand, and does he blow the complex up by pressing a big green button marked "Destroy tomb complex here" ?

Laser guided fanatic
08-03-2009, 15:51
That is disturbing. Does the story involve a Tomb complex beneath London in 21st century ? Does the Doctor somehow get rid of the Void-Dragon using his magic-wand, and does he blow the complex up by pressing a big green button marked "Destroy tomb complex here" ?

No the story has to be simple enough for 6 year olds to understand. So an army of non-cybermen robots have invaded earth and the doctor destroys them.

Gazak Blacktoof
08-03-2009, 16:05
They look like terminators to me, maybe I'll understand what you're on about when the film is released and I've had a better lok at them.

I like the doctor who pic, very necron-esque and could easily be a pariah.

@lord damocles
I thought that the iron men were supposed to resemble pariahs. Is there a picture somewhere that I've missed.

massey
08-03-2009, 16:11
The Iron Men were artificially intelligent robots used by humans in ancient times. No one has ever said what they looked like.

TimLeeson
08-03-2009, 16:12
No the story has to be simple enough for 6 year olds to understand. So an army of non-cybermen robots have invaded earth and the doctor destroys them.

isnt that what I said :angel:

Laser guided fanatic
08-03-2009, 16:17
isnt that what I said :angel:

Not really...

TimLeeson
08-03-2009, 16:25
Not really...

I thought it was obvious I was joking at the expense of having a dig at new who. :rolleyes:

Laser guided fanatic
08-03-2009, 16:27
I thought it was obvious I was joking at the expense of having a dig at new who. :rolleyes:

Well i was also digging at the new who that was what the new 6 yr old comment was about. Anyway truce.

TimLeeson
08-03-2009, 16:30
Well i was also digging at the new who that was what the new 6 yr old comment was about. Anyway truce.

truce ? hey im just being a goofball today, whats the point in grownup if you cant be immature once in a while ;)

Laser guided fanatic
08-03-2009, 16:31
truce ? hey im just being a goofball today, whats the point in grownup if you cant be immature once in a while ;)

That's like me except i'm immature more than i'm mature.

sydbridges
08-03-2009, 18:05
When I saw the trailer for Terminator Salvation (moreso the part with the bottomless robot) I kept thinking of necrons.

What do you guys think?

I think that's a pretty natural reaction, since the necron model designs look like they were inspired by the terminator movies.

I've always thought that the Terminator robots are more like the Iron Men than Necrons personally.

Storywise, yeah, the Iron Men are your traditional "Oh crap we built robots and then they were like 'genocide for the lawlz!' maybe we shouldn't have done that" (which may not have been taken from terminator - Terminator was not the first time a sci-fi author warned that robots were going to kill us all.) But design-wise, I think the skeletal robot appearance of the Necron units are, if not directly inspired by the Terminator movies, inspired by the same general idea of robot skeletons.

Either way, the fact that the Necrons were Terminator + Lovecraft was what drew me to the army back in the day. I'll definitely go see that movie, even though I'm certain it's going to be terrible.

Mannimarco
08-03-2009, 18:19
sequels do tend to get worse as they go on..........

i think the whole robot skeleton thing is just meant to look scary for the audience, human looking robots (Irobot) not to bad, skeleton robots (terminator) freaky, its just done to look disturbing, same deal with the necrons (that and they have necro in the name, have to look like undead)

TimLeeson
08-03-2009, 19:36
I'm not sure its going to suck, the trailer looked decent to me. Plus it doesnt have Arnie in it (thank god), and I prefer Christian Bale anyday. Plus actual future-war, gotta be better than the first three which sucked IMO.

I gotta agree with the Terminator + Lovecraft thing, I wouldnt collect necrons myself, but they are one of the more interesting/cooler armies that are official IMO. If they had more variety and an updated codex id probably pick some up though.

blurrymadness
08-03-2009, 20:35
There's quite a lot of lameness in that, not with necrons though IMO.

The grenade launcher action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVdc8v76Sx0

C&C was so good... :(

The nuke also seemed (I couldn't find a more overhead/dx10 high def clip) REALLY similar to the WiC nuke, but meh, nukes are nukes?

Lord Damocles
08-03-2009, 21:15
@lord damocles
I thought that the iron men were supposed to resemble pariahs. Is there a picture somewhere that I've missed.
No pictures as far as I'm aware, just a couple of descriptions.

It's more the way the Terminator robots act which I think makes them seem more like the iron men than Necrons.

I imagine an Iron Man would go:
'Ha ha, petty human. I'm going to kill you because I hate you, and I can'.
-BANG-

Whereas a Necron goes:
'...'
-Flay-

With Necrons it's noting personal, but the impression I got from the Iron Men was that they killed out of hatred of humans (or at least wanted to kill).

Sonny Liston
08-03-2009, 21:43
As long as necrons have 'We'll be back!', GW is in no position to sue the terminator franchise holders for anything.

Sorry for not saying anything constructive but that really made me laugh!

TheEndIsHere
11-03-2009, 20:35
Sorry for not saying anything constructive but that really made me laugh!

Good job, you killed the thread ;).

I'm not constructive either...

D-End

Lord Damocles
11-03-2009, 20:38
Fun fact: WBB was originally* called 'I'll be back'. No really; it was.

*OK, so the 2nd ed. list was actually written after the 3rd ed. list, but it was published first...

Laser guided fanatic
11-03-2009, 21:05
Fun fact: WBB was originally* called 'I'll be back'. No really; it was.

*OK, so the 2nd ed. list was actually written after the 3rd ed. list, but it was published first...

Is that the list from WD?

Lord Damocles
11-03-2009, 21:07
WD 217 / 218.

Another fun fact*: The last Battle Sister to fall in defence of Sancuary 101 was Sister Sledge. Seriously.

*Although totally unrelated to the topic now

Marshal Sinclair
11-03-2009, 22:11
I think that's a pretty natural reaction, since the necron model designs look like they were inspired by the terminator movies.

No, the Iron Men are inspired by Dune. In fact, the entire Dark Age of Technology, the Warp, and the Navigators, and even the Emperor (Paul) are lifted directly from Dune.

sydbridges
11-03-2009, 23:11
No, the Iron Men are inspired by Dune. In fact, the entire Dark Age of Technology, the Warp, and the Navigators, and even the Emperor (Paul) are lifted directly from Dune.

The Iron Men, yes, but the Iron Men are not the Necrons. Iron Men were robots humanity made that went crazy and started killing everyone, the necrons are an ancient race of robots with the minds of once sentient living beings in them. Since the statement I'd responded to was "Does the new terminator movie remind you of the Necrons," and there was nothing about the Iron Men in that question, I'm not sure what your point has to do with anything.

I don't remember the Iron Men in Dune, oddly, and I remember reading almost all of those books. After God-Emperor of Dune it all sort of blurs together into one giant depressing sludge of memories (whereas up to GEoD it was a depressing but distinct set of memories), so if it occurred after that, I probably forgot about it. However, the idea that robots are destined for murderous rampages actually predates the modern concept of robots - see the golem story. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golem#Earliest_stories)

So 40k might have been ripping off Dune re: Iron Men, or it might have been ripping off one of the countless other science fiction writers who have long feared that the toaster was plotting with the dishwasher to murder us all in our sleep.

E-616
11-03-2009, 23:25
Generally, everything GW does is a rip off from somewhere ;)

Nostro
12-03-2009, 00:29
It is, but it's how they mash up everything together that makes the whole setting rather unique. Far more than WHFB which is more your average fantasy setting.

Originality is the art of concealing your sources.

Ubermensch Commander
12-03-2009, 06:05
*furggit about it.*

Captain Micha
12-03-2009, 14:34
I'm fine with my Crons being Terminator Rip offs.

Infact that's what makes Terminator cool at all for me anymore.