PDA

View Full Version : How to adapt to terrain for Bretonnians???

Dark_Knight
08-03-2009, 07:00
I play my friends Wood Elf army all the time and we roll for the terrain at the beginning of each game but it always seems that we average 4 terrain with his bonus 5th (in his deployment zone). I can never get my knights to charge his troops successfully because of all the woods on the game board. I will put hills and buildings down in the corners but it always seems that he is rotating around a stretch of woods and getting charges off on my flanks. I am tired of getting stymied by the wood terrain.

How do Brets overcome terrain? Tactics used? Mostly Knight units compensation? Any advice is greatly needed. Thanks!

Whitesox
08-03-2009, 09:46
You cant

Best thing to do is have lots of small units and set yourself up to charge the woods from multiple directions, the wood elves will eventually get sucked into getting charged

Godgolden
08-03-2009, 10:31
who says the terrain has to be trees on a board? ever fought voer a village or wastes?

:) i hate armys that take massive use of terrain, so the more trees unbalances it in his favour.

Rolo Ramone
08-03-2009, 15:47
Just keep yourself away of the trees. Kill everything outside the woods and wait. Once I play with a wood elf player and he never move his treeman outside the woods.The same thing for Dryads. What I do? With lances of 6 knights I kill their archer, with the Green Knight I kill the dancers and then I just take position and keep the table.

BigRob
08-03-2009, 15:52
Sneak the banner that lets you ignore terrain onto one of your big lances without mentioning it. It's a one trick pony but it would be amusing to see the reaction when the Knights go steaming in.

Artinam
08-03-2009, 17:10
Unfortunately you can't charge when using that Banner.

Dark_Knight
08-03-2009, 23:33
I might try the MSU tactic. It could give me more coverage of the table, a smaller flank, and I could get my charges off by allowing some units to get charged. Its a thought. My friend is really good though.

Captain Plowman
09-03-2009, 05:24
Have a mutual 3rd party set up the terrain before the battle, then roll for sides.

ewar
10-03-2009, 14:02
Unfortunately you can't charge when using that Banner.

You absolutely can charge - the only restriction is that you can't end your move in impassable terrain and you must have LOS to the target as per normal. It's a very effective tool.

Another bret trick for dealing with wood campers is to form a line wider than the wood and just move through and charge when possible - this will clear out weak combat units but obviously no use aganst a treeman.

Finally try going magic heavy with lore of life as master of the wood is painful on units in woods. Good luck!

Rolo Ramone
10-03-2009, 14:55
No, you canīt charge. Is in the Armybook.

ewar
11-03-2009, 00:00
Fair play, it specifies remaining moves phase. Hmmm, I've been mis-playing that one for a while, oops.

Dark_Knight
11-03-2009, 05:13
I built an army list that I think just might do the job. I need to really angle my charges to make use of the area I control and have my wood elf opponent flee into my lance formations placed around the woods. You can only run so long. :)