PDA

View Full Version : Most Popular Special Characters

cHoBomonkey
08-03-2009, 09:15
Im only familiar with the SM ones (calgar, pedro) from reading around. But i wanted to find out the characters you guys think are used by a lot of people.

I wanted to know cuz i wanna see how good i can paint em and if its good ill try and sell on ebay or something :p.

So yeah, please list any characters you think are played a lot or would be good art pieces. Thanks :)

(I figured its better to try and sell characters, as non-characters would have to worry about getting equipment right)

Current Standings (based on times mentioned): Updated to post #30

Eldrad Ulthran, Farseer of Ulthwe - 7

Pedro Kantor, Chapter Master of the Crimson Fists - 5

Boss Snikrot - 4

Skulltaker, The Champion of Khorne - 3
Vulkan Hest'an, Forgefather of the Salamanders - 3

C'tan Nightbringer - 2
Boss Zagstruk - 2
Phoenix Lord Karandas, The Shadow Hunter - 2
Typhus, Host of the Destroyer Hive - 2

Abaddon the Despoiler, Warmaster of Chaos - 1
The Avatar of Khaine (The Avatar of the Bloody-Handed God) - 1
Commissar Yarrick - 1
Colonel Schaeffer and his Last Chancers - 1
Darnyth Lysander, Captain of the Imperial Fists 1st Company - 1
Ghazghkull Thraka - 1
Kharn the Betrayer - 1
Lemartes, Guardian of the Lost - 1
Lord Castellan Usarkar E. Creed (Accompanied by Jarran Kell) - 1
Marneus Augustus Calgar, Chapter Master of the Ultramarines - 1
Master Belial of the Deathwing
Phoenix Maugan Ra, The Hasverster of Souls - 1
Saint Celestine, Hieromartyr of the Palatine Crusade - 1
Tycho, Captain of the 3rd Company - 1

Tarquinn
08-03-2009, 09:18
Apparantly Eldrad Ulthran is a very common sight in Eldar armies.

I think I really have to use him at some point, with me playing Ulthwé for 15 years. :p

GeneralDisaster
08-03-2009, 09:19
The C'tan are pretty popular, as are Eldrad and the Pheonix Lords (Kandrakas, ect.)

ehlijen
08-03-2009, 09:25
Lemartes is popular. And for some reason someone I know insists on using the Lysander+Kantor+Sternguard droppod of extreme pricetag(tm).

cHoBomonkey
08-03-2009, 09:36
Thanks for the input guys

btw are there any character sold as plastic models? all the ones that were mentioned so far are metal as far as i know. I like working with plastic better :p plus i think it'd survive longer should the person who buys it isnt very careful -> for no complaints

Born Again
08-03-2009, 09:41
The model is only new so hard to say, but I believe Snikrot is popular in Ork armies. At least, judging by the fear when other players talk of him, I assume they're having lots of bad experiences with him.

I don't think his that popular to take, but I've always had a soft spot for Kaptin Badrukk, ever since 2nd edition. Glad he finally got a model!

ehlijen
08-03-2009, 09:52
I believe Belial is meant to be made from plastic terminators with the DA upgrade sprue, as is the landspeeder version of Sammael.

Apart from that, the only plastic special character I know is Commander Farsight, though even he includes metal bits.

the1stpip
08-03-2009, 12:05
Vulkan Hest'an (and I am also responsible for that).

I see a few Pedros, Eldrads and Ghazghkulls.

Filthy O'Bedlam
08-03-2009, 12:12
My opponent sometimes throws Eldrad or a Phoenix Lord at me, as well as Pedro or Vulkan for his SMs

I throw Kharn into about every 10th Battle, Mainly Just to watch the carnage; he's not exactly a good Tactical Choice. He's freaking Nuts, and will quite often kill more of your own men then he does of the enemy. My Best Kharn memory is him getting shot in the back by a Raging Dreadnaught; He Promptly Charged it and Hacked it to Bits. Good times, Good times.

The Model is just two pieces: Kharn and his backpack, so it's not a hard model. There really aren't very many plastic Special Characters, and the ones that are usually have lots of metal bits. You're kinda stuck with metal.

Cheers, Filthy

2HeadedLictor
08-03-2009, 13:09
Tycho is my favorite, "I die, but you die with me, traitor”:

Eryx_UK
08-03-2009, 13:38
At my club the most often seen characters are Kantor, Nightbringer, Kharandas (not sure on spelling), Skulltaker, Abaddon and Kharn.

Mannimarco
08-03-2009, 14:11
typhus, getting his armour right can be tricky but looks stunning, most popular one ive seen are calgar and belial

ard boy stu
08-03-2009, 14:21
I personly have a thing for Snikrot

Hicks
08-03-2009, 14:33
How about the most annoying unkillable character in the world St-Celestine?

Seargent K
08-03-2009, 14:46
I think Com. Yarick for I.G.He is really famous.

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
08-03-2009, 18:15
The Eldar Avatar. You have to admit it all you Eldar players, you are going to buy one eventually!

weirdo2590
08-03-2009, 18:23
Ah skulltaker, lets be honest is any daemon list complete without him?

Also special characters realy depend on the army. Blood angels rely on our SC for the higher end competitive play.

Chaos on the other hand (with the exception of abbadon) the characters are mostly taken if you like the fluff.

W0lf
08-03-2009, 18:27
Eldrad is probably the most commonly used SC in 40K.

Followed by Pedro Kantor.

Kulgur
08-03-2009, 18:27
How about the most annoying unkillable character in the world St-Celestine?

How is T3 and no instant death immunity unkillable? Yes she can come back on, but that follows deepstrike rules and she only has 1 wound when she does.

Plus when you kill her she'll screw up the WH player's faith point pool

Hicks
08-03-2009, 18:36
How is T3 and no instant death immunity unkillable? Yes she can come back on, but that follows deepstrike rules and she only has 1 wound when she does.

Plus when you kill her she'll screw up the WH player's faith point pool

+2 invulnerable save that my friend never misses, that's how. She's not trully unkillable, but she sure can soak up a lot of fire and hits before going down... for one round. :cries:

Harold Zoid
08-03-2009, 19:03
Geez, Celestine is so bad she actually makes wh army weaker if it includes her, yet you still manage to complain o_O

Mannimarco
08-03-2009, 19:03
i suppose the sisters are entitled to 1 decent unit

Vaktathi
08-03-2009, 19:17
I see Vulkan in most SM armies I play against, I've seen Eldrad used quite often outside of my normal gaming group. I've seen Zagstrukk and Snikkrot used sometimes, but not really to the same extent as the SM characters.

I've never seen any Tau, IG, DE, WH or DH characters used.

cHoBomonkey
08-03-2009, 20:19
made a compilation of all the SC's mentioned, thought it'd be cool to see it this way. (see original post)

Heretic12
08-03-2009, 20:34
Ive only really come across, Zagstrukk and Snikrot and neither have been a problem. Zagstrukk is more of an issue seeing as how he can charge when he comes in, thats lost me a tank or two but thanks to that I can always gun him and his whole retinue down before anything else dies.

As for Snikrot Ive never seen him do much, his stats are mediocre compared to alot of SC's and like all orks he hasnt a save throw capable of protecting him from anything. Woohoo you charged, we still go simo and guess what your entire mob is about to get crushed cause you only got 6+'s haha. Which for me usually means that Snikrots about the only one who will get his attacks, maybe one or two other gits but thats it.

Warboss Antoni
08-03-2009, 20:37
Well you could get a lot of money if you nicely painted a fantasy version of the Masque or Skulltake ( probabally on a jugger ).

But for 40k, I'd think Eldrad Ulthran or Vulkan.

RichBlake
08-03-2009, 21:28
Usarkar Creed & Jarran Kell!

W0lf
08-03-2009, 21:49
Oh and just as an idea, if you painted skulltaker then both fantasy and 40K players would be potential buyers which could up the price.

That said i dont know any 40K daemons players :)

Imperius
08-03-2009, 21:58
Col. Schaeffer and his Last Chancers!!!!

Hrogoff the Destructor
08-03-2009, 22:17
The third most popular character around here is Typhus. There's two Nurgle players that run him.

But by far the most popular special character around here is Eldrad Uthran followed by Maugen Ra. There's an ongoing joke at our store that every craftworld contains Eldrad Uthran (it's not very funny until you see one of the local players around here go on a rant about it). I'm not joking that 4/5 Eldar lists around here contains Eldrad. He might as well be required.

cHoBomonkey
08-03-2009, 23:28
Oh and just as an idea, if you painted skulltaker then both fantasy and 40K players would be potential buyers which could up the price.

That said i dont know any 40K daemons players :)
w8 so this skulltaker guy has one model for both fantasy and 40k?