PDA

View Full Version : planet names, any good ideas?

Cythus
08-03-2009, 22:32
hi, i'm writing a novel, and need about 3-4 planet names
all the planets are imperial/no affiliation, and I don't want anything too outlandish

thanks in advance

khyron
08-03-2009, 22:40
Devan IV
Bram's World
Alden
Al Nazar
Drakenvald

Latro_
08-03-2009, 23:14
http://www.ironhands.com/40planet.htm

Bregalad
09-03-2009, 01:21
What style do these planets have?
Otherwise take non-outlandish names like "Texas Prime", "Alabama V", "New Australia", "Antarctica 3" (Ice World), "Borneo Alpha" (jungle world), ...

Lord Cook
09-03-2009, 03:31
You need to pick names that are appropriate to the culture. Just picking random stuff out of a hat (or the internet) is going to end up being irrelevant and inappropriate. What sort of culture do these planets have? Are they small colonies or sprawling hive worlds? Do they exist in systems with other habitable planets, which would indicate numbers as well as names? Are they civilized or barbaric? Are they populated by a generic Anglo-sphere mid-Atlantic culture, or something we would recognise more as Islamic or East-Asian, or something different altogether?

A novel is hard work, and little details like these are important. A name says an enormous amount about a place, and will be influenced by a huge variety of factors.

Orkeosaurus
09-03-2009, 04:07
Galethex IV

Tommygun
09-03-2009, 04:46
Here is a link to a few hundred real Planet Names by Alphabetical order:
http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iau/lists/MPNames.html#P

Cythus
11-03-2009, 22:29
thanks everyone for the input (liked the site tommygun - there's thousands of names)

One planet is a Civilised world – subdefinition: library world
its self-sufficent in food stuff and most raw materials, about as polluted as our world at the moment several large cities focused around huge libaries. Like I said, genetic but as culture goes renassiance meets victorian britain meets imperium

next is a devastated quarantined world, suffered exterminis after daemon insersion then splinter tyranid fleet attack (then means about a thousand years ish..) before argiworld but with few major cites, colonial farmers i guess for culture

last planet, fertile planet, not argi world undeveloped, explorer who found it indonesian background

11-03-2009, 23:47
Omicron Persie 8

Lord Cook
12-03-2009, 01:26
One planet is a Civilised world subdefinition: library world
its self-sufficent in food stuff and most raw materials, about as polluted as our world at the moment several large cities focused around huge libaries. Like I said, genetic but as culture goes renassiance meets victorian britain meets imperium

Alexandrius.

After the Library at Alexandria, which before being burned down by the Romans was the greatest site of human knowledge in the world. Also strong phonetic connection to Latin, which links with your renaissance Victorian Britain idea.

Sir_Lunchalot
12-03-2009, 02:46
R'yleh

or if it's going to be a dystopian hellhole: Edmonton.

Cythus
12-03-2009, 19:36
thanks these are all great

Hypaspist
12-03-2009, 19:50
I always liked the name 'Sargassus' as a planet/system. I used it in a campaign we ran locally called 'The Battle for Sargassus' its nice and Generic too.