PDA

View Full Version : avoin army

the_under_empire_clan
08-03-2009, 22:33
hey me and my friends were talking about new armies, and ones that would be pritty cool if they came out with.(In the future after everything else was cought up) and it was stuck between cathay, and an avoin army, wich one would you rather see out. Also thoughts on how an avoin army would work since they would all be flyers. I VOTE AVOINS CAUSE THERES NOTHING LIKE IT OUT YET........What do you think. keep in mind that theres allready fluff for cathay so dont be byist on that fact.Imagine what avoins would be like to give this thread even a chance. they would probrably come from somewhere near lustria or the edge of it

zak
08-03-2009, 22:57
Are you talking about Avians...all 'bird like' creatures? I am a fan of GW working on the current armies they have. This includes the Chaos Dwarves and Dogs of War. I can't comment on Avians as I'm not sure what type of units, background that your looking at. Is there any background that even mention this race?

Tohellweride
08-03-2009, 22:58
Do you by any chance mean avians? I even tried wikipedia for avion and best i could come up with is that they are a band.
Back on topic i dont really think an army of fliers would work as we already have people complaining about the bret R.A.F and whole units of fliers? How would that work. Best i could come up with in my head was BoC with wings. So no lets just stick to the armies we have and maybe some day people will stop complaing that their army is under/over powered and we can all get on with enjoying the game. But then again the sun is due to go out one day. Can guess which i can see happening first. :p

Tohellweride
08-03-2009, 22:59
Damn zak just beat me to it. Never should have searched wiki. ;)

the_under_empire_clan
08-03-2009, 23:06
not really theres probrably something floating out there but not sure in generall. But yes a pure bird like all flyers race, would be on a pritty cool to me. The general populase would probrably be weaker smaller ones
with an average empire troop stat line, but as they get bigger they tend to be 4's across except in attacks would be like 2 they would cause fear, and count as large targets, iunno i should have renamed this thread to: AVOIN ARMY WHAT WOULD IT BE LIKE.

the_under_empire_clan
08-03-2009, 23:14
i was allready thinking about the fact that brets get complainded about alot.Due to the crazy lance formation, and was thinking that they would have no major charge advantage, except in the fact they could usaully attack the flank of must units, since the armie would tend to be a little weaker for most of their core guys. And as far as looks go imagine the wood elves great eagle just smaller. the whole flank thing would also not be a problem, since there are so many armies that take away flyers movement and make them grounded. It wouldn't be to cheap. Think about it you just stop the major ones from hitting your flank.

the_under_empire_clan
08-03-2009, 23:22
in an all in all perspective wouldnt it be nice to have an army that would be able to dish out charges the way they see fit. But lack extemely hard hitting power. you could ountmanover an oppenents hard hitting chosen chaos warroirs. and get to the units behind with the flank ooh thats so cheap not when most core things have the stat line of an empire toops. And the larger bigger one's would cost like 35 points a pop and only have unit strenght 2 all in all its rough around the edges put would be by far one of the funnest. armies to play

W0lf
08-03-2009, 23:30
The 2 ground rules for an army of birdmen however would have to be;

1. Skirmished. Breaking ranks would be broken and ranked fliers look massivly weird. Then again skirmished is probably part of the rules for flyers i guess.

2. Fly 10". M20 troops would be ridiculously silly, M10 fly is still very good but allows the enemy to charge you at some point in a game lol.

IMO the basic troops would look something like;

Avian Warriors
Empire state troop statline with ether S or T4. Most likely Strength to distinguish from beastmen.
- Fly 10"
- Additional hand weapons (beaks+claws)

~ 12 pts per model.

The Anarchist
09-03-2009, 03:57
thats not too mad an idea Wolf, however i think that would jsut be too good if every unit could be like that. you could maybe make that a special or rare unit, and the common units maybe be ground-bound, wingless part of the avian race. maybe like a more devolved or weaker bloodline of the race, so lost flight over time?

just my two cents.

MalusCalibur
09-03-2009, 04:56
No new armies, in my opinion. I want the current ones to be kept up to date and not get delayed further. We don't another Wood Elf fiasco, like last time.

Except maybe Chaos Dwarfs. If they did them right, I'd be happy to collect them.

MalusCalibur

ChaosVC
09-03-2009, 06:21
I would rather not see a cathay army, but I am not too excited about avian army too. They should work on things they already have but not finished like chaos dwarfs and Dogs of war before going to a new project. I always feel that the release of Orge Kingdom should be delayed after they finish those.

the_under_empire_clan
09-03-2009, 06:37
yah i was saying that gw had to take care of buissness first, but still a project down the way avian would be a sweet book to come out. I mean really an army based of fliers that arent overly strong but decent unit strenght sound like a tactical bunch to me.

the_under_empire_clan
09-03-2009, 06:40
thats not too mad an idea Wolf, however i think that would jsut be too good if every unit could be like that. you could maybe make that a special or rare unit, and the common units maybe be ground-bound, wingless part of the avian race. maybe like a more devolved or weaker bloodline of the race, so lost flight over time?

just my two cents.

your right on that i didnt clearly specify it either. but all in all it would be quite different, from anything else out there, god knows we dont need more elf armies.

Agoz
09-03-2009, 06:46
you could have penguin soldiers for your non-flying infantry...;)

the_under_empire_clan
09-03-2009, 06:55
nice they have a peck attack

Hubman
09-03-2009, 13:04
Iīm against this Avian army. I do not think an army of flying skirmishers with M10 (or 20!) would be good for the balance of the game. They sound like the ideal points denial army, able to fly away from most enemy charges. WE get complaints about that and their skirmishers can be march-blocked at least...

Kind regards,

Hubman

Leogun_91
09-03-2009, 14:28
Iīm against this Avian army. I do not think an army of flying skirmishers with M10 (or 20!) would be good for the balance of the game. They sound like the ideal points denial army, able to fly away from most enemy charges. WE get complaints about that and their skirmishers can be march-blocked at least...

Kind regards,

HubmanBut the woodelves can hide in terrain the birds wouldnīt (give them M2 or something to make sure they canīt run around in terrain hiding).

The army could be cool if done right, it could be situated on some islands at the coast of Lustria or Southlands (or both as the continents stuck togheter once). The beak and claws counts as additional handweapons would be horrible (no offense) different weapon options would be needed to make intresting elite units (the average bird but elite trained not just bigger birds).

I would however rather see an army mentioned in background (like Cathay, Ind, Araby, Estalia, Nippon, Pygmies or Amazons)

the_under_empire_clan
10-03-2009, 03:42
yah someones got my back