PDA

View Full Version : [WOTR] - which evil force?

Rirekon
09-03-2009, 14:47
Ok so I've never played any of the GW LotR games, never really been my bag, but the new War of the Ring game looks really good (big fan of Warmaster ;)).
So as I'm an obsessive freak I've been looking at forces already, and here's my problem;

I really like the look for the Isengard Urak-Hai, particularly Lurtz, however I'm also a fan of the Ring Wraiths and lots of Goblins...

So which force do people recommend?

Mouldsta
09-03-2009, 15:25
Well you can take allies, so you can have all if you like :)

It depends on if you want a fluff based army (i.e an army based on the books/films), in which case I'd pick one or the other, or if you'd just like to take what you like the look of, in which case take everything you like :)

Joewrightgm
09-03-2009, 15:30
Well, in War, you can have up to 25% of your points be allies; so if you wanted you could shoe-horn a wraith in with any left-over points and do a mostly Isengard force.

Lurtz in War is almost over the top; he has Epic Strike, which says you spend a point of might and his fight is raised to 10 for that turn!

Personally, Saruman is a magic monster and (I think) a slightly better sorcerer than a wraith.

Tae
09-03-2009, 15:44
I've personally decided to get a Goblin army, which at first may seem kind of odd given my current SBG army is a Spider Queen army.

However my reasoning for this is that the Goblin army lets me use Druzhag and he can use a point of might (he has 3) a turn to create d3 companies (i.e. infantry bases of 8, cavalry bases of 2) per turn of wargs, spiders, broodlings etc.

Basically he can 'create' the entire bulk of my spider army in one game - so why bother paying the actual points to take the spiders when one of my characters can make them by himself? (although admitedly he may end up creating 3 companies instead of the 9 I would normally have).

Plus I am also taking a Drake and a Stone Giant (which has the same VVHTK list as a Mumak) in my 1500 list.

ShadRS
09-03-2009, 16:22
Tae, don't forget about Councilors. Units/Characters with the Councilor rule can give their Might to other units. I don't recall the exact mechanic off hand, but it'll allow you to create more than just a pitiful three companies of spiders. :D

Marauder
09-03-2009, 16:31
I'd decide which of the evil troops you think you'd enjoy painting a lot of (and we're talking like 70+ models), and go with that. You can then ally 25% to get some cool stuff from another list.

I'm going with Mordor (my avatar may have given that away). I love wraiths, and I love having mobs of orcs with a smattering of Trolls.

I'm really excited on how powerful and terrifying ringwraiths are in this game. Anyone notice that they have Spirit Grasp? That's a bit powerful when combined with a fellbeast. Hmmm, I'm liking the idea of the Tainted on a fellbeast - charges a unit, if they fail their courage check - 0 Fv - lots of attacks against their low courage. Nice.

Rirekon
09-03-2009, 17:51
So I can take allies, awesome :)

Thanks for all the info guys, I'll probably start with buying the models I think look cool (and are fun to paint rather than a chore) and just see which force builds up faster ;)

Crovax20
09-03-2009, 18:54
Isengard goes quite fast, uruk warriors are done fast with a drybrush of tinbitz followed by a drybrush of chainmail. Bit of dark flesh on the exposed skin and they are already tabletop ready.

I take it a little bit further than that by painting the leather bitses and adding a little big of highlights on the skin and leather, but I am not concentrating on making a master piece out of them, they look fine enough for me and go quite fast seeing as I have just started with the hobby and can churn out around 8 in 4 hours or so (God knows if thats slow or fast, since I just started :P ). Them being fully armored really helps speed up the painting process ;)

here is a pic (still trying to find the right settings on my camera to get a sharper look, but this should be good enough to give an impression)

http://www.files-up.de/2009/galerie/upload/01/20090309.052747.jpg

Tae
09-03-2009, 19:26
Tae, don't forget about Councilors. Units/Characters with the Councilor rule can give their Might to other units. I don't recall the exact mechanic off hand, but it'll allow you to create more than just a pitiful three companies of spiders. :D

Yes I looked at that but couldn't see any in the army I was chosing from (and don't want allies in my standard list).

However if I ever 'ramp it up' to make alarger force, someone to replenish those might points is definately going to be top of the list :D

(plus he creates 3 formations of spiders, each of d3 companies ;))

Now I just need to think how to do the stone giant :(

Orge_ladd
09-03-2009, 22:37
goblin army...

i have 240 goblins.. and well.. thats only 500 points if you pay the points for the 80 archers aswell.. so i got loads left for balrogs, stone giants, drakes, dragons. spiders.

oh and for stone giant, use a fantasy giant, covert it a bit using some greenstuff and place on large monster round base for a troll form lotr and you set.

Popsicle
09-03-2009, 23:31
My army is half Harad since (i roll so many ones the whole poison weapons things helps me alot) and the other half is corsairs because everyone of them gets throwing weapons

Autobot HQ
10-03-2009, 10:05
Unfortunately, as far as I can see not only are there no goblin counsilors, but no EVIL counsilors full stop, so you could be limited.

Also, the Spider Queen is in the dwellers list anyway, so you could easily still include her.

jigplums
10-03-2009, 10:16
ive gone for isengaurd because i think the army will look awesome, have you seen jeremy vetocks army in the rulebook. i will probably take 500pts of allies at 2000pts allowing me to start adding in some of the nasty mordor characters etc and start off a mordor army.

Rirekon
10-03-2009, 10:23
I think I'm going to go for a Mordor list, just spotted the Castellans of Dol Guldur which look awesome

Also...

i have 240 goblins..
DAMN! Nice :D

ThrowN
10-03-2009, 11:13
goblin army...

i have 240 goblins...

Painted?:angel:

Tae
10-03-2009, 12:29
Unfortunately, as far as I can see not only are there no goblin counsilors, but no EVIL counsilors full stop, so you could be limited.

Also, the Spider Queen is in the dwellers list anyway, so you could easily still include her.

Well, and this is only based off what several managers have said, you don't have to stick to being Evil with Goblins. Apparantly you pick your army then chose whether you want to be good or evil, so I may yet be able to squeek some counsilors (even if not as part of my army, but as part of a team game). Not sure how accurate this is as I haven't had a chance to read cover to cover, but I know at least three staff members planning an "evil elves" army.

As for the Spider Queen, she is very nice - especially in a wood (D7 :D). However, again, she is somewhat situational and rather squishy for a character. Plus she doesn't cause terror anymore and has crap re-roll rules (though admitedly if she gets you in the side/rear, she's wounding on 2's and re-rolling 1's, so not totally poo :skull:).

But I think I'm just going to stick with my basic goblins + monsters + creating spiders idea :)

lotrchampion
10-03-2009, 13:17
Already been checked with some of the guys around here both managers and from what I've heard from Adam Troke at the Open Day-yes, thematically you can have 'Evil Elves', but it doesn't allow you to include Ringwraiths etc, all it is is a theme change for your list. For example, such 'Evil Elves' could represent Elves under the command of Maeglin at the Fall of Gondolin.

Oh, and as for a Stone Giant model, MajesticBear do an absloutely gorgeous Giant figure that is fully in scale with the LotR range, as well as some 'Treemen' which look strangelt like some ones we know under a different name...

http://www.majesticbear.net/

Godswildcard
10-03-2009, 13:25
Truly great work on the treemen!! Awesome!

Tae
10-03-2009, 13:26
Already been checked with some of the guys around here both managers and from what I've heard from Adam Troke at the Open Day-yes, thematically you can have 'Evil Elves', but it doesn't allow you to include Ringwraiths etc, all it is is a theme change for your list. For example, such 'Evil Elves' could represent Elves under the command of Maeglin at the Fall of Gondolin.

Yes I know I can't include them in my own list, however if I was being 'good' goblins and allied myself to another player who had a 'proper' Good list, were he to include some Councilors in there I don't see why they couldn't use their powers on my army? Sure it's cheesey, but hey :D

Oh, and as for a Stone Giant model, MajesticBear do an absloutely gorgeous Giant figure that is fully in scale with the LotR range, as well as some 'Treemen' which look strangelt like some ones we know under a different name...

http://www.majesticbear.net/

Cool I'll check it out thanks.

Reinholt
10-03-2009, 14:10
I'm not entirely sure how this "you can ally with anyone you want" rumor got started, but I'm almost entirely sure it's false (having read the War of the Ring book myself).

From what I gather, it works like this:

There are five evil lists, all of which can be the main army list (Isen, Mordor, Misty Mtns, Fallen Kingdoms (catch all for Saurons human allies), and Angmar).

There are five good lists, four of which can be the main army list (gondor, rohan, dwarves, elves) and one of which is a catch-all list that can be used as allies only (wizards, hobbits, ents, etc).

Once you pick your main list, you can then either ally in 25% of your points from another evil list (if you picked an evil list) or another good list (if you picked a good list).

If you want to play "evil" elves, that doesn't mean you get to pick allies from the evil lists. In fact, somewhat counter-intuitively, you could probably pick allies from the other good lists (evil ents! evil dwarves! evil hobbits!).

I think what people are mistaking is one section that pertains to the overall meta-view of the hobby (build an army you love! have a theme!) versus the literal section that pertains to list design (you may take the following, full stop).

Just my take from reading the book, though.

Tae
10-03-2009, 14:52
I'm not entirely sure how this "you can ally with anyone you want" rumor got started, but I'm almost entirely sure it's false (having read the War of the Ring book myself).

From what I gather, it works like this:

There are five evil lists, all of which can be the main army list (Isen, Mordor, Misty Mtns, Fallen Kingdoms (catch all for Saurons human allies), and Angmar).

There are five good lists, four of which can be the main army list (gondor, rohan, dwarves, elves) and one of which is a catch-all list that can be used as allies only (wizards, hobbits, ents, etc).

Once you pick your main list, you can then either ally in 25% of your points from another evil list (if you picked an evil list) or another good list (if you picked a good list).

If you want to play "evil" elves, that doesn't mean you get to pick allies from the evil lists. In fact, somewhat counter-intuitively, you could probably pick allies from the other good lists (evil ents! evil dwarves! evil hobbits!).

I think what people are mistaking is one section that pertains to the overall meta-view of the hobby (build an army you love! have a theme!) versus the literal section that pertains to list design (you may take the following, full stop).

Just my take from reading the book, though.

No I quite agree and this is entirely how I read the book as well. My point was not that I could take 'good' guys in my 25% allied allowance, but rather if I played a 4 player game then my 'ally' (as in the other player) could take them in his army and thus since we're allied could be used on my characters.

By making my goblins 'good' this would make any such alliance that bit less fluff-destructive :)

InquisitorRex
11-03-2009, 16:38

I never said that! Surely not! I'm prone to moments of silliness, but i think i'd remember that one. i might have said you could have elves fighting elves (because, in my opinion a game like that is better than no game at all), but i'm fairly sure i never said that...

Adam

lorelorn
12-03-2009, 07:51
Maybe a company wide email to that effect? There is a guy in GW Brisbane who is loudly saying this is exactly what you can do - take Moria goblins with High elves or whatever, and the other staff are all agreeing with him.

I suspect that is not the only place this is going on.

They have all read the book in that way. I didn't see it that way either, but it's not like they are all 18 and semi-literate or anything.

lotrchampion
12-03-2009, 12:39
Sorry Adam, I was taking that from the context of the context with Ian and myself about armies at tournaments-the mention and example being the Dwarves vs Elves at Menegroth as I recall. I took from this to mean that no, you can't ally 'Good' with 'Evil'. Is this then definitely the correct view? Might as well get a more direct straight answer from someone in the know...

Tae
12-03-2009, 12:45
I took from this to mean that no, you can't ally 'Good' with 'Evil'. Is this then definitely the correct view? Might as well get a more direct straight answer from someone in the know...

Also refer it to both allying within the same army (i.e. your 25% allowance), and then allying to form teams with another player.