PDA

View Full Version : How many lads should I get?

LordofWar1986
09-03-2009, 15:59
So I have been putting together about 40 cadian guardsmen (2 boxes) in preparation of the new codex in may. Starting up an army again is pretty hard and I wanted to know your opinions out there.

Since I am going to be getting a good size tax return, I figured that getting 5 more cadian shocktroops boxes should do it for my army until the new tanks come rolling out. So what do you guys think? should 7 boxes (140 guardsmen) be enough to even make the platoons, Officer's squads, some hardened vets?

If you guys and gals have any tips on how I can stretch out my money, and make a new guard army would be awesome.

sigur
09-03-2009, 16:12
Well, sure duh.

You know that an infantry squad is 10 men, you know that a command squad is 5, you know that a platoon is command squad plus 2-5 infantry squads, go figure.

If you want to "strech" money, sure, get the cadian boxes now before they get more expansive, use your heavy weapons boxes wisely and so on.

Korras
09-03-2009, 16:14
throw in a bunch of Heavy Weapon squads, and save some money for a couple of boxes of the Command Squad, and I think you're done.

I am starting up guards as well, and got 120 guardsmen, plus heavy weapon squads, plus some things taken from the vehicles (one officer is the Baneblade commander on foot, for example). I am planning for at least two command squads to add to that all: plenty of extra bits for diversity.

LordofWar1986
09-03-2009, 17:48
Well, sure duh. You know that an infantry squad is 10 men, you know that a command squad is 5, you know that a platoon is command squad plus 2-5 infantry squads, go figure.

Well I haven't played IG for about 3 years now and I'm actually quiet nervous that even with the small amount of money I have, I won't have much for a new IG army in the long run. Last IG army I had it was insanely/ painfully big and had SO MUCH extra that I didn't need. :(

Would it hurt that I made my own HW Teams on the bigger bases with the extra guardsmen instead of getting the HW teams boxes?

Codsticker
09-03-2009, 18:24
No I don't think so. I believe that the rules for the heavy weapons teams are changing a bit with the new codex but I'm a little vague about the details: each team counts as a two wound model or something like that (which is basically what it is now only it is meant to be stated clearer in the new codex). The important thing, I think, is that you use the large bases.