PDA

View Full Version : Characters In Unit Question

Champion89
09-03-2009, 19:06
I just wanna check even though I'm sure I already know the answers.

1 When you have a mage in a unit, does the mage have to be in the front rank?

2 Also when the unit gets into combat and the mage is in the front rank can you replace him with a rank and file soldier and move him to the back somewhere? (aka keep the squishy mage out of combat)

Tae
09-03-2009, 19:20
1. Yes

2. No, the only way he can be moved to the back is if you refuse a challenge, however your opponent gets to chose which model gets moved to the back and will usually try and keep your squishy wizard in the front rank.

Braad
09-03-2009, 19:22
1: If you want the mage to cast or do anything else: yes
Exceptions are AFAIK the bretonnian damsel and the slann mage, as they have a specific ruling to allow them to be in second rank. If your wizard doesn't have this exception, he has to be in the front rank to use his abilities and items.

2: AFAIK you can only move characters in a unit in combat during your own combat phase. So when you get charged: he's screwed.
I'm not sure if you can move a character out of the fighting rank though... You could move him to a side
A possibility is to hope your opponent issues a challenge, and then you deny it with your wizard, so that he is moved to the back ranks.

---EDIT---

DOH! Ninja'd...

But indeed, the opponent gets to choose which character is moved back. Didn't know that... learned something again.
Also just found that a character that is already fighting may not be moved anymore. He can only move into combat if he is in an engaged unit and he happens not to be in a fighting position.

EldarBishop
09-03-2009, 20:28
^-- what he said.

and the following...

The Bret Damsel can cast non-LOS spells from the centre of a lance formation.

Also, I believe that the Skaven rule "Lead from the back" (or whatever it's called), would also allow a caster to be not in the front rank.

And, yes, characters that are engaged can NOT leave combat unless done through the declining of a challenge.

Nurgling Chieftain
09-03-2009, 21:58
The Bret Damsel can cast non-LOS spells from the centre of a lance formation.Heck, she can cast LOS spells at large targets or models on hills. :cool: The lore of Life lost most of its non-LOS spells this edition, though...

Aceious
11-03-2009, 16:05
Tis' true. Sad for the other races but gives those with the ability to cast in combat a boost. My poor high elf mages...

Arnizipal
12-03-2009, 15:13
1: If you want the mage to cast or do anything else: yesEven if you want your mage to do nothing you still have to put him in the front rank. ;)

Only legal way out of it is buy full command for the unit with the mage and deploy in ranks of three models wide. The command group has to be in the front rank, but they take up all space so the mage can go in the second rank.
He won't be able to use LOS spells like this though (and the unit won't get a rank bonus either).