PDA

View Full Version : New to Space Marines

Anton
09-03-2009, 18:18
So, I am new to Warhammer 40k, and am thinking of creating my own Space Marine Chapter. I wonder, is there a fluff reason why a few chapters have their own codices (Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Black Templars etc)? I have read something about Codex chapters and non-Codex chapters. Does it have anything to do with this?

Also, if I intend to make my own chapter with their own background and motives, which Codex should I use? I gather that the generic Codex: Space Marines is intended to be used for this. That's probably what I'll do. But if I wanted, would it be OK to use for example Codex: Black Templars for my own chapter?

Also, is it OK to use Dark Angels or Black Templars upgrade kits for my ordinary Space Marines? I want my chapter to be dressed in robes.

SPYDER68
09-03-2009, 18:27
You can paint them / model them anyway you want, just haft to tell your opponet what marine ruleset your using.

eek107
09-03-2009, 18:40
So, I am new to Warhammer 40k, and am thinking of creating my own Space Marine Chapter. I wonder, is there a fluff reason why a few chapters have their own codices (Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Black Templars etc)? I have read something about Codex chapters and non-Codex chapters. Does it have anything to do with this?

In part, yes. The Black Templars and Space Wolves have a significantly different organisation to chapters that follow the Codex Astartes. In comparison, the Blood Angels and Dark Angels don't deviate nearly as much, but they've had their own codices for a long time.

Also, if I intend to make my own chapter with their own background and motives, which Codex should I use? I gather that the generic Codex: Space Marines is intended to be used for this. That's probably what I'll do. But if I wanted, would it be OK to use for example Codex: Black Templars for my own chapter?

Absolutely. Use whatever Codex fits your intended chapter's organisation and fighting style the best. Just make sure your opponent knows before you start playing which of the codices you'll be using.

Also, is it OK to use Dark Angels or Black Templars upgrade kits for my ordinary Space Marines? I want my chapter to be dressed in robes.

Again, go ahead. As long as all models have the correct equipment represented they're fine. Superficial details like robes don't make a difference in terms of gameplay.

Frontier
09-03-2009, 19:14
Do what you like. Use the codex well. Above all else; have FUN playing the game.

Starchild
09-03-2009, 19:15

Sure, you could even invent your own Dark Angels successor chapter if you like Ravenwing & Deathwing (each Unforgiven chapter has its own versions of these formations) And there are certainly more crusading chapters than just the Black Templars. So feel free to use whatever codex you want, with models painted however you want. Most of us on Warseer would suggest using the generic Space Marine codex, however, since it has the most options and lowest point costs.

Blinder
09-03-2009, 19:41
From what I've seen-

Basically "non-Codex" chapters refer to all the stuff that isn't in the GW material: player-made chapters, things that get mentioned in 3rd-party fluff like the books (Dawn of War is also a good example of this- new chapter out of nowhere but nothing to stop someone from painting one up, aside from potential IP issues and all), anything unofficial.

For the ruleset, as people said pick whichever works for you, just make sure it is clear when you're playing someone (so, if you're using the BT codex and want an Emperor's Champion type character, try to use the existing model for that at least as a base, or at least something that looks champion-like, rather than something that looks like what you get when you cross Bruce Lee with a 10' tall metahuman. Or at least keep a "regular" champion handy in case you're in a situation where "counts as" doesn't work so well). Most of the difference will probably be in paint, though, so again, pick the codex that best reflects how you think your guys will fight (and I agree with taking a good look at the general codex for the flexibility unless you *really really need* special stuff from one of the others) and just keep in mind that you'll have to make it somehow clear what list you're playing (which should most often consist of saying, "I'm using the Black Templar rules").

Corrode
09-03-2009, 19:51
From what I've seen-

Basically "non-Codex" chapters refer to all the stuff that isn't in the GW material: player-made chapters, things that get mentioned in 3rd-party fluff like the books (Dawn of War is also a good example of this- new chapter out of nowhere but nothing to stop someone from painting one up, aside from potential IP issues and all), anything unofficial.

Not quite - 'non-Codex' refers to those Chapters who don't follow the Codex Astartes rigidly. The Ultramarines and Imperial Fists are two examples of a 'Codex' chapter, whereas the Blood Angels and Space Wolves are both 'non-Codex' because they have several structural differences (hence the separate codices). A fan chapter can be 'Codex' if it wants to be; as long as it's made using Codex: Space Marines it's a Codex chapter.

Azzy
09-03-2009, 23:51

Yes. The chapters that have their own codices deviate from the Codex Astartes either relatively marginally (Dark Angels, Blood Angels), fairly significantly (Black Templars) or "OMGWTFBBQ!!!11 is the Codex Astates" (Space Wolves).

For instance, the Dark Angels have the following deviations:
* The veterans of their 1st company only fight in Terminator armor unlike more strict Codex chapters (that may choose between power armor or terminator armor). Not really a biggie there.
* Their 2nd Company is completely different, being composed entirely of bikes and landspeeders.
* They have an "Inner Circle" and "Interrogator-Chaplains" that are all mysterious-like.

Use whichever codex fits the theme, nature and philosophy of your chapter. Like the Ultramaines and other strict Codex Chapters, both the Dark Angels and Blood Angels have successor chapters. Additionally, Black Templars may have their own established successor chapters (haven't read their codex, so I don't know), but if not you can either create your own or just say that yours is a crusading chapter that follows the same sort of precepts as the BT. Space Puppies have no (surviving) successor chapters, so in order to justify using their codex you'd have to fall back on a chapter that is similar in set up, originally trained by Space Wolves or inspired by SW in some manner.

TL/DR Translation: Yes, you can use the BT codex for your DIY chapter. ;)

Absolutely! As long as the actual wargear and weapons modeled are allowed by the codex you use, you can use what you wish.

techman
10-03-2009, 00:33
Like the above mentioned, codex space marines is used to make vanilla marines (though not really anymore :confused:) and the seperate codex is for if they stray away from the codex astartes, or have so much fluff and background that they put in in another codex.

massey
10-03-2009, 04:27
Originally, there were three Space Marine codexes. There was one for Space Wolves, one for Ultramarines, and one that had both Dark Angels and Blood Angels. This was in second edition. Those were all the big name chapters. In early 4th edition, GW added Black Templars. That's why certain chapters have their own books and others don't.

kesofcom
10-03-2009, 04:56
"So, I am new to Warhammer 40k, and am thinking of creating my own Space Marine Chapter. I wonder, is there a fluff reason why a few chapters have their own codices (Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Black Templars etc)? I have read something about Codex chapters and non-Codex chapters. Does it have anything to do with this?"

The chapters are organized differently since they simply don't follow by the codex (codex as in the one that exists in the 40k universe not the book you are holding), and so they follow their own rules, they diverged out of desire or need, example of need, blood angels have several problems, there fore it becomes necessary to change things to adapt to this (black rage)

"Also, if I intend to make my own chapter with their own background and motives, which Codex should I use? I gather that the generic Codex: Space Marines is intended to be used for this. That's probably what I'll do. But if I wanted, would it be OK to use for example Codex: Black Templars for my own chapter?"

it is perfectly fine. most chapters have decendad from the original ones, and therefore follow the codex of their founding chapter, to make your own chapter and follow any one codex
is fine.

"Also, is it OK to use Dark Angels or Black Templars upgrade kits for my ordinary Space Marines? I want my chapter to be dressed in robes."

this again is also fine, your chapter is meant to have any fluff (history) that you want it to have. just try not to mix up the chapter symbols, and you'll do fine

victorpofa
11-03-2009, 01:39
It does not sound like you will be wanting to make a Space Wolf army (going with those sissy dress wearing gits :p), but I will expand on their organization a bit since others have covered the rest of the chapters with their own codex.

The Space Wolves never divided up into Chapters so they have a lot more than 1000 marines (Black Templars also have far more, but they are another story). Instead of successor chapters Space Wolves have semi-independent fighting groups known as Great Companies. Each Great Company has its own forges, armory, and starships, and is led by a Wolf Lord. They tried to found successors, but all attempts have ended badly. The Great Wolf Logan Grimnar leads the chapter as a whole with all the Wolf Priests, Iron Priests, and Rune Priests, and Dreadnoughts belonging to his Great Company. Each Great Company numbers anywhere from 300-1500+ strong depending on who you believe.

I subscribe to there being at least 1000 marines in each of the 12 Great Companies, and an unknown number of survivors from the 13th Company recently returned from the Eye of Terror.

In the end pick the rules set that fits your play style, and stick with it. You can always make another army for another rules set if you like more than one. :cool:

I have Space Wolves, Blood Angels, and this summer I will be making an army of dress wearing pansies who can field an army of Terminators or Bikes (AKA Dark Angels). :evilgrin:

Then, after a few Xenos armies, I will eventually get to my Salamanders and Red Scorpions who use the regular Marine codex. I am just crazy that way. :angel: