PDA

View Full Version : Mounted/Magical Empire

librisrouge
09-03-2009, 19:42
I'm debating starting another army and the idea of a mounted Empire army where the primary heroes are wizards on warhorses occured to me. Is this army viable? Would Pistoliers or Outriders be better for it? Would an Inner Circle unit with a Templar Master be worth it to anchor the line?

The Red Scourge
10-03-2009, 09:27
Fast cavalry and wizards is a great combination, as they're the only characters that can "shoot" after marching, and there is no better defense than maneuverability. Fighty cavalry and soft wizards doesn't mix, as you'll give up high S attacks and good armor for a very vulnerable hero.

Leogun_91
10-03-2009, 09:37
Fast cavalry and wizards is a great combination, as they're the only characters that can "shoot" after marching, and there is no better defense than maneuverability. Fighty cavalry and soft wizards doesn't mix, as you'll give up high S attacks and good armor for a very vulnerable hero.The empire has a speculum that fixes that problem, there are also spells like flaming sword of ruin and Phas illumination if you are lucky with you´r rolls. I would take one wizard with the speculum and a magic weapon in the knights and stick the others with pistoliers, skip the inner circle knights and take some outriders.

Commodus Leitdorf
10-03-2009, 11:46
From personal experience, its not a safe idea to keep your wizard in a unit of Pistoliers. Pistoliers tend to draw alot of small arms fire (atleast my friends experiences with them make them draw alot of fire:angel:) and they can die very easily to a single volley of bowfire. They can be fleeing in no time, and you really dont want your Wizard to run off the board because you failed a single leadership roll to rally them.

If you are going for the mounted theme its safer to have him in a unit of Knights, as they can take some shots and generally not panic as much.

I've yet to try it with Outriders, but my Outriders draw as much fire as my Pistoliers, so I would imagine it would be the same as with them.

Have a go at each and see for yourself is the best advice I can give.

-Commodus

Drow__Warrior
10-03-2009, 14:27
I have some decent experience with empire. If your going to try and protect empire mages, I really think the easiest way to do it is an infantry based force in which the mage can bounce from unit to unit to avoid combats. Hiding him in pistoliers is a bad idea.

Interestingly enough though, I think a unit of outriders might work surprisingly well. I've used a 12 man pistolier unit in the past. You deploy them on a hill, and cast portent of far on them.

All of a sudden your firing 36 BS4 shots which reroll 1s to hit and to wound. I've seen this shred entire units.