PDA

View Full Version : Carstein Ring+Gem of Lahima

XXL
10-03-2009, 00:19
I read about a guy who combined gem of lahima with the Carstein Ring to teleport himself to a flanking unit of wolfs or something like that with a fighty vamp lord.

It sounded retarded and dangerus, but daaamn cool.

What do you guys think good or anus? Remember the the powerdice from the gem can probably be used to IoN the vamp back at its new location. (?)

And a little rule question, is this combo really legit (in the faq they say that no saves at all is allowed when sacrificing wounds with the gem)...

Shamfrit
10-03-2009, 01:02
If it is legal, and I believe it is...one would have to ask why on earth you'd invest 75 points of your Vampire Lord and army on a one trick teleportation pony like this, when Talisman of Lycni or Flying/Lore of Shadows would do it alot cheaper, and leave you with defence to boot.

It's just like Moonstone of the Hidden Ways and movement spells, it might work once, but it won't work again.

theunwantedbeing
10-03-2009, 01:07
Erm...you get put back into a unit at the end of the phase, so extra dice gained are worthless to you.

Seems a bit of a waste, well worth a go though.

EvC
10-03-2009, 01:15
Entirely possible, if you want to have a go at doing slightly better on a 2+, else you lose the game.

XXL
10-03-2009, 01:17
Yeah it sounds a bit retarded, but the Ring gives some protection for its points.

If we stop thinking about teleport and only look at the ring...

Anyone clever enough to do some math; Ring vs say Stupid helm and Avatar of Death? The strenghts of them compared is ofc largly effected by what unit he happends to fight... And usually the only thing that should threat him, if placed in a bunker, is big flayers and non-LOS magic? Then the ring could actually be worth it, instead of other protection. I rearly c it so I guess ppl think its overpriced. And its ofc best in a magic heavy list to allow for some fast IoN and prevent him from runing around with only one wound... Anyone ever take it in 2-2,5k games?

XXL
10-03-2009, 01:19
Erm...you get put back into a unit at the end of the phase, so extra dice gained are worthless to you.

That was disturbing! :D

Hospitaler
10-03-2009, 21:13
Does anyone take the gem, it must be one of the most pointless items?

Malorian
10-03-2009, 21:17
The only time I can see it being worth it is on a lord who has the blooddrinker. So you could get an extra dice and then in the combat phase heal back up.