PDA

View Full Version : Favorite army style:

MarcoPollo
09-03-2009, 23:28
What kind of play style do you usually like to play. You can choose more than one option if you like For some people they like to use alot of heros, or alot of units (MSU). I tried to think of as many as I could.

For me I prefer the MSU/assault approach best. As it allows me to use combined tactics to crack the enemy's army.

Chaos Undecided
09-03-2009, 23:59
Hmm I tend to end up with fairly balanced lists picking the units I like the idea of or that work towards a chosen theme, I tend to take units in fairly healthy sizes as well bar things like Big Guys. Heavy Cavalry etc.

Guess that makes my armys fluff based more than anything else listed.

W0lf
10-03-2009, 00:38
I kinda hit half the boxes :P

I like MSU laying a Guerilla stye war with strong magical support.

SO guerilla, msu, heavy characters, heavy magic.

EDIT: Oh and i power-game. which isnt WAAC but i spose you would lump the two together (thus voted)

Jericho
10-03-2009, 05:13
I play Wood Elves and a themed Warriors of Chaos list... and Dogs of War occasionally, but not nearly as often as I used to. I tend to play a bit conservative, preferring a balanced army that fits the background and is reasonably powerful in as many phases as possible. Nothing over the top, that's not my style.

moose
10-03-2009, 07:36
I like fast paced combat armies.

My mono-slaanesh are hit/run and fast which I love.

I play close combat TK with lots of chariots, tomb guard and ushabti - so I guess that fits fast/assaulty and magicy.

And my skaven are very offensive, with backup magic/shooting to cover all the phases, so that's fluff orientated!

The only playstyles I wouldn't adhere to is deathstars, all out magic, MSU and WAAC - everything else is fair game :).

Necromancy Black
10-03-2009, 09:34
Love deathstar heroes! Which isn't suprising seeing as I play Lizardmen :D

I like having fluff but the removal of spawnings took away alot of customising, so I don't play with it anymore.

Nicha11
10-03-2009, 09:41
Herohammer!

For me it is the most cost effective way to play, in terms of $.

And i have always enjoyed the image of great warriors or mages striding across the battlefield smiting anything that moves.

TheForsakenLord
10-03-2009, 10:41
I make army's based on a theme i like for example my warriors of chaos are very forsaken themed, and I'm thinking about a knights of the blazing sun empire army (i feel a wicked VS Diorama coming on).

Necromancer2
10-03-2009, 13:33
theme is the way to go in my book. If it ends up being a WAC, Herohammer, Mage Council then so be it.

I like the looks of MSU armies... but no way in hell I'm going to paint 130 rats. ;)

Bac5665
10-03-2009, 14:10
I like large blocks of infnatry, which wasn't on there. I take large blocks of infantry and lots of wizards. Thats my playstyle, and I love it. Hence the shocking lack of difference between my lizardmen and my High Elves.

On the other hand, I never did like playing as VC. I have no idea why, but I traded the army months ago simply because it wasn't fun.

Nuada
10-03-2009, 14:13
It's MLU for me as well (multiple large units) So none of those in the list

Gaius Marius
10-03-2009, 14:33
I play combined arms. Cavalry, block infantry, gun support, a little magic offence & defence, all working together to stomp everything, Bwah ha ha ha.... Well I do play Empire & Orcs & Goblins, you have to think tough to be tough, because the lists aren't gonna do it for you.

BigbyWolf
10-03-2009, 18:12
I enjoy playing in a style that's unusual for the race I'm using- my favorite and most used O&G army is a rock-lobber/ doom diver gunline where my Orc Boys protect the artillery and don't advance (unless under the curse of animosity...).

Other than that I try to stay away from WAAC lists, Death Stars and hit and run tactics...but it really depends on the race.

If I had to pick an overall one from the list to play from now on, it'd be have to be combat- that's definitely my favorite part of the game.

gsmc
11-03-2009, 01:34
Interesting that balanced isn't an option - or is that included under fluff?

Finnigan2004
11-03-2009, 01:41
I voted heroes, fast/ assault (small and elite particularly), and mage council. I like epic heroes and wizards-- it's what fantasy is about for me. The stuff of epic tales. I also like smaller armies that I can spend time painting units and heroes for. Some day, I'd love to do a skaven horde for a change, but it would probably take two years just to paint.

As an aside, the only one that does not particularly interest me is the death star style. One big bunker just doesn't appeal to me as much. That said, I did paint up some temple guard for my slaan, which could easily fit into even that category.

Ravenousone2
11-03-2009, 02:48
Probably Magic and WAAC's but i play VC as my main army the HE's and Brett's are change of pace armies.but i like the flavor of Vampire Counts and well magic kinda goes hand in hand

Dark_Knight
11-03-2009, 05:08
Nothing beats the assault. There are two sides but several outcomes. The units rarely matter because anything can happen with dice involved. :)

dreamforge
11-03-2009, 05:17
my vote goes to MSU
small unit, hard hitting (best example ... swordmaster!)

Desert Rain
11-03-2009, 11:38
I like lists with much combat potential and magic though overall well rounded and balanced.

Keller
11-03-2009, 17:08
I play a few different ways, depending on my army and what I feel like playing.

Empire: Primarily combined arms approach, using infantry and artillery, so mostly Fluff-based. I also like to mix things up by playing a guerrilla force from time to time, fielding mostly archer (skirmishers) DoW Duelists, pistoliers, and a few small bocks of troops. On the rare occassion, typically when our campaign settings dictate, I will play a gun-line backed by a block or two of infantry.

VC: Mostly fluff based, using mostly infantry and characters. On the rare occassion, I will go magic heavy (again, another campaign setting, typically) or Assault with MSU (who can't flee)

OK: Mostly MSU, but with a touch of Assault in there with some big units. Never any Deathstars, though.

So I guess its everything but WAAC, Points Denial, and Hero-hammer for me.

dlantoub
11-03-2009, 23:14
oooh not fair... I guess I'm MSU (3x5 converted Dark Riders because I can) although I'm MIGL (Models I've Got/Like [See above]) too.

I want to build fluff armies (Marauder army) but never seem to. Most importantly though I actually need to play some games.

Chicago Slim
11-03-2009, 23:22
I voted both WAAC and fluff-based purist. Because I *am* both.

Okay, maybe not "all costs"-- I wouldn't sell my soul for a win. Someone else's soul, maybe, but not my own.

kardar233
12-03-2009, 01:17
I always try to play one of:

All heavy infantry list w/ minimal magic.

OR

All versatile cavalry list w/ lots of magic.

Therefore: Warriors (all Chaos Warriors), Lizardmen (all Saurus) and Wood Elves (all Glade Riders).

Kerill
12-03-2009, 03:37
I always take heavy magic and that often means character heavy as well. My armies are still cc-based though.

My new lizardmen list has aspects of a lot of what you have listed:
1 Deathstar
Guerilla style units
Heavy magic
Only 2 characters but a lot of points in them
Still mostly a c-c army

Draconian77
12-03-2009, 03:41
Speed.

I don't care if it's fast magic, fast shooting or fast combat but I absolutely must be moving faster than my opponent at all times...

Gork or Possibly Mork
12-03-2009, 06:57
Add Horde and All comers balanced list and then I'll vote. I could pretty much check off everything on that poll. I like to try many different styles of play without being stuck to one particular play style. I do find myself leaning toward all comers balanced for most games though.

Von Wibble
12-03-2009, 19:38
MSU/ fast + hitty.

idontlikefrogs
12-03-2009, 21:13
in my empire2k army i like to have blocks of infantry with warrior priest and two wizards, with a small gun line:)

LKHERO
12-03-2009, 22:07
Hmm.. I'm kinda split.

I like Magic, Cannons, Manly, Hard-hitting units.

Maybe this is why I have both High Elves and Dwarves. Now I'm thinking about making a Lizardmen army because they have all of those aspects?

VeriNasti
12-03-2009, 23:57
The static gunline for me - effective against all armies that I have a longer range than - that would be all of my friends!

Dokushin
13-03-2009, 00:56
Hmm.. I'm kinda split.

I like Magic, Cannons, Manly, Hard-hitting units.

Maybe this is why I have both High Elves and Dwarves. Now I'm thinking about making a Lizardmen army because they have all of those aspects?

Those Lizardmen cannons are awesome :D

LKHERO
13-03-2009, 02:50
Those Lizardmen cannons are awesome :D

EotGs and Ancients are just as good!

Hrogoff the Destructor
13-03-2009, 07:59
I usually like having a little bit of everything.

A squad of cavalry here.
A couple blocks of infantry there.
Some archers.
One or two war machines.
Squad of skirmishers.
A chariot.
2 mages.
1 close combat hero.

pointyteeth
13-03-2009, 17:38
I love playing a fast assaulting army with my WoC. Not because its the "only way to win" but because I love to be in combat on the second turn. Wonderful defense against shooting. I do Herohammer it up as well.

Mercules
13-03-2009, 19:59
I play Ogres and Wood elves. MSU is a way of life for me. Obviously that was checked. Hit and Run is another needed tactic, checked. Ogres are character heavy in nature, checked. I also tend to run more fluffy than WACO so that was also checked.