PDA

View Full Version : Ork Super Heavy: Gunfortress

Nid Vicious
10-03-2009, 04:34
Hello all. I'm not sure if this is where I would post this, but here we go: I think that the Skullhamma is a pretty good Super Heavy Tank (SHT) and I think that the FW Battlefortress is a little on the weak side. I would like to start making SHT that would be inspired from the Epic game. I can not find descriptions for the much older stuff, but I do have one to work with, and that is the Gunfortress. It reads to be a meaner version of the Batttlefortress that carries less troops.

Any ideas on what it should be armed with? How big? How tough? etc.
So far I am thinking that it should have supa lobbas from the giant squiggoths and have at least 10 TL Big Shootas (or rokkits,skorchas...) I aslo think that it should have 3 or 4 SP.

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Thanks in advance...

Clang
10-03-2009, 07:42
So you'll be making up your own rules? Cool, but that can lead to a lot of arguments over the correct points cost etc when you play with it.

Personally I'd look at all the new IG Shadowsword etc variants, there's something there for everyone, then design your SHT to 'count as' one of them (or any other standard Apoclypse vehicle) but still looks like a Gunfortress or whatever

dugaal
10-03-2009, 07:51
Just a thought... check the first posts of Boreas_NL/FBI's Ork log (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182343)

Might give you some inspiration

Urza
10-03-2009, 10:23
So you'll be making up your own rules? Cool, but that can lead to a lot of arguments over the correct points cost etc when you play with it.

Why? The whole point of the Apocalypse (especially the blank datasheet) is for players to be able to make their own models and have fun gaming with them.

Just make sure the person you are playing against is cool with the rules/points for your new design it before starting.

Agatheron
10-03-2009, 15:42
I've been toying with the Ork Gunfortress concept myself. Enough models out there exist to provide us with decent conversions for it. I've had one in planning for about six months now, but until I get my new Stompa built and painted, the Gunfortress will have to wait.

That having been said, I'm basing my ideas for the Gunfortress on the Epic Armageddon entries in terms of what such a vehicle would look like and be armed with... mix that with one of the new Superheavy guard tanks, and we could get an idea on how to make up a datasheet.

The Epic Armageddon gunfortresses could be equipped with a multitude of so-called "big guns" plus a good number of big shootas. They could also have a Mekboy upgrade and carry a Macro-weapon... either a Soopagun or a Supa-zzap gun. The Soopagun is essentally a long-range artillery piece that does copious amounts of damage... I'd say it'd be like a Stompa's Dethkannon... the Supa-Zzap gun is a titan-killer... so it would be an energy-based destroyer weapon. On paper in Epic, the Supa-zzap is (I believe) statistically the same as the Shadowsword's Volcano cannon, but with somewhat shorter range.

I would say it is entirely do-able, and would be fun to model. My suggestion would be to build it first with a couple design principles in mind. As an up-gunned skullhamma, it would likely lose the fast designation, as well as most if not all of its transport capacity. The trade-off would be an awful lot of Dakka... perhaps even using the Arsenal of Deff rule that the Kustom Stompa can be upgraded to have.

Nid Vicious
11-03-2009, 08:53
Thanks for the feed back. As for point cost, my gaming group is very cool (and will actually help me out with it). I have the epic book and you are on the same page as I am so far. When it is all said and done, I want to have a Skullhamma, Battlefortress and Gunfortress. Good luck with your Stompa!

Also, thanks for the link to the battlefortress conversion using a battlewagon and a baneblade! That is sweet.

Agatheron
11-03-2009, 16:49
The Baneblade + Battlewagon conversion is definitely the idea I had behind my gunfortress... although in my case I will be using a Shadowsword as the base kit, and if the confirmed-but-no-release-date extra battlewagon sprue comes out with the Deffrolla, I'm planning on making good use of that too...