PDA

View Full Version : Redo... Again...

SPYDER68
10-03-2009, 15:56
I hope im not the only one/few who ends up repainting squads...

I started my IG awhile back.. got 30 guardsmen painted (Now over 80 finished and counting...)... changed my scheme... repainted them all..

Yet again...... i have 20 Stormtroopers done, got 10more the other day .. and.. yet again.. decided on a different scheme and repainting all the stormtroopers..

Angelus Mortis
10-03-2009, 16:03
I got my son a perscription of Clonidine for ADD. May want to check into it. ;)

AlexCage
10-03-2009, 16:06
I'm with ya.

I'm returning to Cadians after working on Dkok, and my painting skills have increased considerably (I still suck, but I've atleast gotten to the point where I'm ashamed of my first models). So I'm going to be repainting the 40 or so Cadians I have painted. The worst part is, I'm not even changing the color scheme.

So I'm painting grey guard a different shade of grey. If I don't get mind numbingly bored before I finish the first platoon I'll be happy!

Bjorn Hellhammer
10-03-2009, 16:08
Yup, am on v4 of mine. Set up some test figs, like the scheme. Get another idea, repeat...

Nym
10-03-2009, 16:38
Exact same problem here, with IG too. I painted 3 different squads with 3 different color schemes, and now I have 2 squads, 2 Sentinels and a Leman Russ to repaint... boring. T_T

The Laughing God
10-03-2009, 16:44
That's a bad problem;)

I would just not let myself switch schemes once you have already gotten that far. When you have the urge to redo their paint scheme paint some other models not going with teh guard. Or make sure you really really want a certain color scheme.

Good luck, hope it doesn't happen again.

Laser guided fanatic
10-03-2009, 16:46
haha i did this with my IG as well

Aegius
10-03-2009, 16:46
Not me, If I'm not happy with a paintscheme, I'll leave it the colour I've painted it and just paint some new models. I hate stripping paint and the more layers you put on a model, the more you start to obscure the detail. By doing things my way, I'll be able to build a marine chapter over time. Although the standard of painting will be different depending on when I painted a unit, the whole force will look uniform.

SPYDER68
10-03-2009, 16:49
paint comes off very easy after setting in breakfluid over a month.

sydbridges
10-03-2009, 16:59
I did that with my 'crons. When I originally painted them, I tried to go with a blue-tinted metal color, but the blue didn't really come out very well, so they looked pretty much gun-metal instead. I also hadn't had a ton of experience painting when I started, so they looked okay, but not great. After something like six years, I got bored with them being all grey, so I went and repainted the whole army to try and make it look like they were made from a mixture of red ceramic and metal parts, and used an ink-wash to heavily darken and shade the grey metal areas better (when I first painted them, I was a big fan of "sufficient paint will make this look good!"). After that, I realized I still couldn't tell one warrior squad from another, so I went back again and added squad markings on my warriors by adding a thin color stripe on one side of the face on each warrior's head.

And I look at the army going, "hrm, looks better but it could use a few more changes..."

Boss Kopstud
10-03-2009, 17:03
I've done it with my Space Wolves when 3rd Edition came out, mainly because I started adding new models and my painting skills had improved. Then mid-stream 4th Ed, I switched from "old-school" Goblin green bases to "new-school" brown and snow and static grass on the Wolves, but that was just a base repaint.... Still not done with all the units I don't use regularly.... So, yes, I feel your pain....

Bassik
10-03-2009, 17:10
My Black Legion got redone to look betther, then they turned into Iron Warriors (Briefly) and now Ive converted and repainted them all to be Deathguard.

Yes, it's a mans life, repainting your models.

souljaking09
10-03-2009, 17:16
you all might find this pretty stupid, but I started out with blue and black catachans but then realized how much better the jungle look would look. check out my log in my signature. these guys have been painted over and they have turned out fine. It was first ever paint job.

Bjorn Hellhammer
10-03-2009, 17:20
Neat dettol is my friend, gets that nasty layer of paint off good! I like to have one scheme, just not the one I thought of...no got a better idea :rolleyes:

Angelwing
10-03-2009, 17:25
H'mm. I have given several armies a new scheme either to unify the force or improve the quality. However this has really only happened to old forces from 10+ years ago. Nowadays I decide on a scheme and stick with it to avoid repainting issues.

Hicks
10-03-2009, 17:55
I did try out 2 schemes for my Steel Legion, but not on whole squads, I only did 2 lasguners. In the end I decided to stick with the official scheme and I'm wainting to finish my other projects to perfect my painting skills to do my boys justice.

I never got so tired of a scheme as to repaint squads or whole armies though.