Spears

12 Skink Skirmishers (84)
12 Skink Skirmishers (84)

Jungle Swarm

3 Terradon Riders (90)

12 Temple Guard (211)
Full Command

Stegadon (235)

I'm looking at a tight 3 block deployment, supported by the 2 stegadons and skinks to cover the flanks. The Terradons are only really in here for a defence vs skirmishers and artillery.

The Old Scholar
10-03-2009, 16:02
What about the Sunbanner of Chotec? Affecting missile fire on a specific unit is bonus! Or you could get the Skavenpelt and have a frenzied unit... Either of these are better than the Warbanner... Or, you simply could ignore taking a magic banner so that you can equip your BSB with a cool item like the Blood Statuette of Spite--ninja an enemy character!!! I don't know if the Sword of the Hornet is worth it when you can have +2 attacks or cause a -2 to armor on top of your basic -2... -4 practically ignores armor. The reason why is because if you run into another "Always Strike First" character--or a bunch of High Elves--you'll still strike last with your low initiative of 3.
I know you were tight on points so it may be tough to squeeze in some of my more expensive suggestions, but some of the others are actually cheaper and I think better.
As for your idea of 3 rank and file and stegadons guarding the flank sounds interesting. Depending on what effect you are choosing with the Engine of the Gods, you may want the stegadon more centered...the third effect the Portent of Warding, only has a 12" range...something to think about.
I was looking at it again and I almost think the second scar veteran--though cool as I like lots of heroes--is a bit superfulous. You could get more skinks or more Temple Guard... I don't know.
Well, I hope that this helps! Good luck.

Chakax
10-03-2009, 16:32
I have found a strong static CR is a great bonus to any unit. Both of the Saurus units are built for taking charges, with spears, Warbanner CR stacking in one and an ASF hero in the other, they kick back hard when charged.

However, why would they get charged? The Slann is a meatier target and I have 2 stegadons that should be hitting someone hard - 2 blocks of saurus waiting to be charged are not very good support in that regard.

How likely is he going to run into more ASF? I've never played against High Elves, so I haven't really considered dropping it just for them - this is an all comer tournament list, so I'm expecting all sorts.

g0ddy
10-03-2009, 16:39
Hmm... Why not just make the slann the BSB, the skar vet your ASF armed guy... and ditch the other one?

You could definately use some more support units... perhaps 11 cohorts w/ 1 kroxigor? (110~ pts) or more temple guard.

EDIT : whats up with the lvl 1 priest on the EoTG ?

~ Zilla

The Old Scholar
10-03-2009, 20:53
I have found a strong static CR is a great bonus to any unit. Both of the Saurus units are built for taking charges, with spears, Warbanner CR stacking in one and an ASF hero in the other, they kick back hard when charged.

However, why would they get charged? The Slann is a meatier target and I have 2 stegadons that should be hitting someone hard - 2 blocks of saurus waiting to be charged are not very good support in that regard.

How likely is he going to run into more ASF? I've never played against High Elves, so I haven't really considered dropping it just for them - this is an all comer tournament list, so I'm expecting all sorts.

Hm, well it sounds like you have it fairly well thought out as far as the banner and the sword...no need for commentary then, yeah? ;)
If it is an "all-comers" list as you intend, then you will see High Elves unless it is a local tournament where you know the specific armies you will be facing and thus are precluding all-comers but instead are building for CERTAIN comers.
Anyway, High Elves have Always Strike First.
Dark Elves have access to the Standard of Hag Graef--very common, especially on Black Guard because they are so mighty now. Oh, and of course, there are the Dark Elf Assassins... the most ninja of the first striking first strikers...
The Empire have access to a weapon that allows Always Strike First, and though this is a single item, it still exists and an Empire hero/lord will have a higher initiative than your Veteran.
Might there be other armies with this rule...I believe so, and it is entirely possible that those who have access to it will have a higher initiative than 3.
But against basic core from most armies the Scar Veteran will strike first so it will help you if you do get charged. It isn't a big deal, I just thought that you were spending enough on your heroes and didn't need to dump another 120 points into a hero that you intend to leave in a unit when you could instead buy another unit of Skinks and perhaps equip your Lord with additional buffs. Merely a suggestion; keep 'im if you like 'im! :D
The War Banner thing is just a matter of prefrence, I suppose. I like the idea of getting the +1 from the unit banner, +1 for the BSB being present and equiping the BSB with the appropriate gear to keep him alive...hey, you could even give him the Sword of the Hornet! :angel:
Anyway, good luck in your games...I think we've killed this discussion and we should retire the whip for another dead horse...