PDA

View Full Version : dwarfs look fun

Negafex
10-12-2005, 23:35
i am thinking about starting dwarfs now that they are getting redone(didnt much care for some of the old models) and was wonering how they play. are they a realatively fun army to play? fast? slow? Easy? hard? what are the various advantages, disadvantagesm and miscelaneous bits about playing dwarfs?

thnx

Flypaper
11-12-2005, 00:10
We're not 100% sure yet! Wait 'till the book's been out a couple of months while people do some testing. :p

In the old edition they did best as a static shooting army with a rock-hard infantry selection*. By all accounts, the new book does its best to make a more aggressive style of play (still infantry, mind) possible.

Dwarfs are, of course, slow, strong, tough, slow, heavily armoured and slow. Hi Ld, low Initiative**. They have access to cheap warmachines. They have powerful magic defense options, but no true spellcasters of their own.

Dwarfs are probably a medium-difficult army to play. Easier than TK but harder than VC, I guess. :p

Fun? It depends on what you consider fun! Your army will feature either cannons a-plenty or screaming bezerkers with axes - or likely both. If that sounds appealing, then you'll probably enjoy dwarfs.

*Aggro infantry was possible, but you had to know what you were doing...
**Until they're stacked up against my Saurus, grumble grumble. :cries:

boogle
11-12-2005, 00:36
they play a little more defensively in this version imho, the smaller unit sizes for the Elite units may give you some attacking impetus though

Crazy Harborc
11-12-2005, 01:28
I always enjoy pushing them (slowly) across the field. Well, their half of the table anyway.

I like the current move and shoot for the Thunderers:D I like being able to give the crossbows and thunderers shields. Goes reallllll well with their light armour and hand weapons. The +1 to the armour save comes in handy.

Negafex
11-12-2005, 02:44
cool they sound awesome, how are they as far as magic resisting because one of my opponents uses lizardmen and a slann is always a possibility. i know they have MR2 but is there anything else cuz each slann gets like 7 power dice or something.

Lord Of The Night
11-12-2005, 03:39
when it comes to magic items dwarfs have some of the best anti magic magic items in the game. you can destroy spells and take power dice from your oppnent and more.
dwarfs were my first army and definately still my favs
P.S. if you're looking for could fluff on them try the new book Grudgebearer

Gorbad Ironclaw
11-12-2005, 08:19
In the old edition they did best as a static shooting army with a rock-hard infantry selection*.

Not really. It was the easy way to play them, but they generally did much better as an aggressive infantry army. Problem was, it was still depending on your opponent not just slipping away. Sounds like they are going to be a bit faster with the new book.

speedygogo
11-12-2005, 09:26
Dwarves have one of the coolest themes in the game and are fun to play with. Tacticly, the new book sounds like alot is going to change with them. I would try to test play an army with a 250-500 warband to see if you like the before buying a bunch of them to see if you like them. From a modeling standpoint Dwarves are both fun to paint and look good even if you not the best painter in the world. Just drybrush them a couple of times and you've got some cool looking, grudge bearing, beer drinking knee kickers.

Chuffy
11-12-2005, 09:46
By all accounts, the new book does its best to make a more aggressive style of play (still infantry, mind) possible.

Hell no man, if anything they are more static in this version.

boogle
11-12-2005, 12:22
I always enjoy pushing them (slowly) across the field. Well, their half of the table anyway.

I like the current move and shoot for the Thunderers:D I like being able to give the crossbows and thunderers shields. Goes reallllll well with their light armour and hand weapons. The +1 to the armour save comes in handy.
Sadly they have lost the Move and Shoot with their handguns, which makes them a little more Stativ IMHO

Cenyu
11-12-2005, 13:47

On the one hand they have gained warmachine entrenchment and move-or-fire Thunderers, on the other hand they got scouting heroes, ehnanced miners and rangers plus the additional movement by the Anvil and the standard rune.

I'd say you can try both "aggressive" and defensive Dwarfs now.

Takaratie
11-12-2005, 15:12
On the one hand they have gained warmachine entrenchment and move-or-fire Thunderers, on the other hand they got scouting heroes, ehnanced miners and rangers plus the additional movement by the Anvil and the standard rune.

I'd say you can try both "aggressive" and defensive Dwarfs now.

Yup, I agree here.
What if seen from the anvil, you can now also make an more agressive army.
Some kind of movement "spell"* that alows to move faster.
But it cant be dispeld cuz its fired in the shooting phase.

O and Negafex if you wanna know more about Dwarfs, check the rumour round up, they got alota info there ( lots and lots of usefull info ) :).

Cant wait till I get my battalion box :D

* the anvil is now used in the shooting phase so its not realy an spell.

WLBjork
11-12-2005, 15:46

Strollaz Rune?

Anvil power? (Can't remember what it's called, and my mate has my book at the moment :( )

No limit on Miners

Longbeard Rangers (one option anyhow)

Nope, definately more mobile/aggressive.

Squirrel
11-12-2005, 18:11
Just my opinion to add to the more agressive arguement.

Dwarfs can now be one of the fastest armies ,yes they may be still M3 but...With the standard rune and the ancient power movement of the anvil dwarfs can move potentially 30" from the board edge in by turn 1!(edge of 12" deployment zone + 6" move before start of game+ 6" normal move+ anvil power 6").

Leave a couple of units of thunderers or quarrellers back to defend your warmachines and take 3 units of your army straight to the enemy. This will be my tactic even if it is just 1 unit that moves then you will have a nice unit of longbeards/ironbreakers/warriors/hammerers in the middle of the board with no flanks or rear if you use an oath stone. Fantastic I would say.

Of course an army can just ignore your unit but a big juicy unit in the middle of the board where the battle will have to commence unless your very manouverable is hard to resist.

Just my thoughts.

Brucey...

Negafex
11-12-2005, 21:49
that sounds awesome, i really like the sound of this anvil thingy. right now i play an ogre kingdomsa army. very fast and very hard hitting but they cant take hits worth crap most of the time. i was hoping dwarfs would be a stark contrast to them and it sounds like they will be. are slayers good, i really am fond of the models and was wondering if they were very usefull or a hopeless point sink

Atzcapotzalco
12-12-2005, 00:33
Yes, slayers are a good unit. Being completely unbreakable is a significant step even above normal dwarven leadership, they are your only unit with 2 attacks(for the additional H-wpns), and multiple giant slayers can add a good deal of punch. Plus the slayer skill is very useful against large monsters. That said, their lack of armour is a big weakness, so don't expect too much of them.

Negafex
12-12-2005, 01:05
sound prety interesting. are the dwarfs cheap point wise or do the units cost a lot? im not lookin for specific numbers but would it be a big point sink for a unit of slayers or do i get what i pay for?

Atzcapotzalco
12-12-2005, 03:18
Most dwarf infantry is pretty cheap per model for their abilities, espescially in the new book, and slayers are on a level with the army, between basic warriors with heavy armour and shield and veterans. Despite this, the units overall tend to be quite expensive since you pretty much have to use large units for them to be effective-I can only assume that lowering the minimum unit size of the special choices to 5 must be some sort of joke. Slayers are something of a risk since the lack of armour does leave them very vulnerable both to light missile fire and certain combat units, but will usually be worth their points.

Crazy Harborc
12-12-2005, 03:51
I guess I better play a few quick games before the new Dwarf Armybook spoils my Thunderer fun. If they keep the shield option and come with light armour, I'll live with the new "improved" Dwarves.

Negafex
12-12-2005, 03:59
they sound pretty good game speaking, i hope they are as good for modeling purposes as i am a conversion nut. if they come with tons of bitz and are almost all plastic thatl be great. when does the whole army start getting released? also are they going to release them all at once or bit by bit like the O.K.?

Keller
12-12-2005, 04:14
I must say, the more I hear about dwarves, the more I want to play them. Thats probably the last thing I should do though, as between adding some new units to my Empire army, painting the second half of my VC, and getting around to finishing my Ogres, I really have enough modeling work to do.

Oh well, maybe I will get a small set for warbands, or convince my buddies to let me field them as allies in my Empire or Dogs of War stuff.

Gratnuk Ironfist
12-12-2005, 05:07
Not to belittle this forum, but if your just starting on dwarfs or want to know as much as possible it's a brilliant idea to go to a all dwarf forum. That way you don't have to sift through tons of threads just to get the info you need. Rif, Squirrel and I are part of an all dwarf forum, where the fire is warm the beer is flowing and good friends are easy to find, but it's up to you.(and there are drinking smilies.)

Negafex
12-12-2005, 15:42
which forum is that, i must say youve got me interested

Gratnuk Ironfist
12-12-2005, 20:07
Did you find it negafex?(check your PM's)

Rik Valdis
13-12-2005, 01:01
I think i will take this opportunity to plug the forum that Gratnuk was referring to above (at least this had better have been the forum he was referring to or we will be having words...). We may not be the busiest forum on the planet but we are the best and friendliest community i have found on the net and I can guarrantee good companionship and advice for anyone (well, anyone who registers anyway....). So come along, or else!

http://invisionfree.com/forums/Karak_Grom/index.php?

Negafex
13-12-2005, 02:31
yeah i found it, thnx a lot. my name on there is nega_the_beardy. ill be surfin there probably more than portant err... i mean warseer now

Gratnuk Ironfist
13-12-2005, 08:27
Great, post in the "welcome to" thread and I'll have us a round, it's also good to see you rik. Long time no see this calls for a celebration.

*Drinking smilie*Drinking smilie*Drinking smilie* :D