PDA

View Full Version : A few O&G questions.

captain malachi
10-03-2009, 17:44
First off, I apologise if this has been brought up before, but my search-fu is terrible.

Right, I'm a little confused as to how the battleaxe of the last Waaagh! and Mork's spirit totem work. I mean, I know how they work, I just want to know if they cap at +3. At first I just assumed they did, but then I realised that Porko's pigstikka specifically says it does, and the other two don't.

Also, the "Bash 'em ladz" spell, if I cast it in combat (I think I can cast it in combat anyway, kinda a noob to fantasy still) and I use it on the unit the shaman is in, does he get affected as well? And what about other characters in the unit? I'm assuming it's a yes to both but just want to make sure.

Anyway, thanks in advance :)

Malorian
10-03-2009, 17:47
Your rank bonus can only go up to 3 so that is the max.

Everyone in the unit gets hit.

WLBjork
10-03-2009, 19:56
(At least) one magic item excepting - VC have a banner allowing a rank bonus of 4, there may be others.

Presumably against a unit so equipped, BAotLW and MST would give a +4 bonus, whereas PP would still be capped at +3 (as ever, it depends somewhat on the wording).

woodulikeanother
10-03-2009, 22:32
i disagree, there is only rank bonus for CR, i believe if you have 5 ranks you gain 5 D.D. or for the axe 5 attacks

Nurgling Chieftain
10-03-2009, 23:28
i disagree, there is only rank bonus for CR, i believe if you have 5 ranks you gain 5 D.D. or for the axe 5 attacksBut does the item say ranks or does it say rank bonus?

semersonp
11-03-2009, 02:22
First off, I apologise if this has been brought up before...

never a worry, always ask away after you've done your best in reading rulebooks/armybooks or what you find there is ambiguous...

Right, I'm a little confused as to how the battleaxe of the last Waaagh! and Mork's spirit totem work... I just want to know if they cap at +3.

yes, they both cap at +3...

o+g ab pg 42 and 45... 'equal to his unit's rank bonus' and 'equal to the unit's rank bonus', respectively...

At first I just assumed they did, but then I realised that Porko's pigstikka specifically says it does, and the other two don't.

yeah, interesting notation... i would hope they were anticipating the >3 rank bonuses they were going to dole out but id imagine we can simply chuck it up to a lack of proofreading or general laziness :p

Also, the "Bash 'em ladz" spell, if I cast it in combat (I think I can cast it in combat anyway, kinda a noob to fantasy still)

yes, bash 'em ladz can be cast while the shaman is in combat... not a magic missile and no other restrictions are noted... and its good to have one more greenskin player on the batletop - spread the chartreuse love!

...and I use it on the unit the shaman is in, does he get affected as well?

yep! he's part of the unit...

And what about other characters in the unit?

yep! them too... it's a neato spell...

Anyway, thanks in advance :)

youre welcome!

roll (green) tide!

:)

Braad
11-03-2009, 06:56
i disagree, there is only rank bonus for CR, i believe if you have 5 ranks you gain 5 D.D. or for the axe 5 attacks

Well, obviously there isn't rank bonus only for CR, as they also ask for it in these 3 items. If you grab the BRB, you'll notice that it talks about ranks, and about rank bonus, two different things. You already got 6 ranks if you put 6 single models in a straight line behind the warboss with the battleaxe. For ranks to exist, the BRB does not give a model minimum, except that you need a model to make a rank. Remember that an incomplete rank of 1 is still called a rank in the book.
However, the items talk about rank bonus, and rank bonus in the book is described as something you get for complete ranks of at least 5 models behind the first, capped at a maximum of 3, normally calculated for combat res, but in this case also for these items.

If you don't believe me, put 25 orcs behind your warboss, and try to claim 29 attacks at strenght 30...
Or better, make that 60 orcs...

There are a few items that allow a unit a greater rank bonus than 3. I believe the empire griffon banner allows up to 5. However, IIRC the ruling for this says you get the extra bonus during the moment you calculate the rank bonus for CR, and I believe the O&G FAQ says you count the rank bonusses for the items that need it on the moment it is used. So this results that, even though the griffon banner is present, the extra rank bonus is not there on the moment where you make your attacks.
It depends on the wording though, and I'm unaware of what that VC things says.

About if Bash 'm ladz can be casted in CC... it says clearly you can only ever cast it on a unit in CC, so what would be the sense of not being able to cast it on a CC unit?
On a general note, only if a spell says something like 'can be cast in close combat' then you can. It needs this statement. If it only says 'cast on any unit' that's not enough, as the rules require the exception to be specifically given.

WLBjork
11-03-2009, 08:03
There are a few items that allow a unit a greater rank bonus than 3. I believe the empire griffon banner allows up to 5. However, IIRC the ruling for this says you get the extra bonus during the moment you calculate the rank bonus for CR, and I believe the O&G FAQ says you count the rank bonusses for the items that need it on the moment it is used. So this results that, even though the griffon banner is present, the extra rank bonus is not there on the moment where you make your attacks.
It depends on the wording though, and I'm unaware of what that VC things says.

Good point.

Took another look and they can add 4 to the CR score, so it works the same way as the Griffon Banner.