PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Warriors, 2250pts

Zoat
10-03-2009, 21:49
Chaos Warriors!

Rock solid T4 guys clad in thick armor, dealing out S5 hits with unmatched skill.

That's what I want!

For some reason I always fail... I start with characters and then Warriors are too expensive, so I fit in some marauders to get some bulk. Usually I end up with knights and all warriors "counts as" marauders. No more!

I decided to design an army based on Chaos Warriors, with characters and other troops as support. Can it be done and still be reasonably effective?

I'm a bit stuck right now, so please help me out!

So far I have a core of 5 fighting units and 2 chariots. Grand total is 1446, which leaves 804 pts for characters and support units. What should I add?

CORE
=====
12 Chaos Warriors, shield, halberd, std, mus
(222pts)

(222pts)

(222pts)

These 6x6 warriors amount a total of 666pts. This can't be wrong! :)

SPECIAL
======

6 Chaos Knights, std, mus
(270)

6 Chaos Knights, std, mus
(270)

2 Chaos Chariots
(240)

Kalec
10-03-2009, 23:15
Give the warriors mark of slaanesh, give the chariots mark of khorne, grab some spawn (I prefer two regulars and Scyla), some warhounds, and a couple units of horsemen. Grab a fighty lord (I am partial to Valkia myself, since having a BSB is quite hard to fit in otherwise) or an exalted and a scroll caddy and you should be fine.

Zoat
11-03-2009, 07:20
Thanks for the input Kalec!

With 805 pts left here is what I got:

Characters
=======

Valkia

Core
====

2 x 5 Warhounds

5 Marauders Horse, flail, musician

5 Marauder horse, th. axe, musician

Rare
====

2 x Spawn

742 pts so far. Adding 3 marks of slaanesh to the warriors and 2 marks of khorne to my chariots as suggested takes me to 832 pts, which puts me 28 pts over the top. Should I scrap a unit of warhounds?

Looking at the army I already feel the itch to scrap a unit of warriors. 2250pts, no magick defense and just some defense against march blocking. It just feels a bit thin...

Valkia is pretty expenisive. There is definitely some benefits in this army. Leadership and Inspiring Presense are ace and the ability to fly adds some anti marchblocker capability. But wouldn't I be better of with 3 lesser characters?

I'm also unsure about the marks of Khorne. What is the effect of frenzy on a chariot? What worries me is that the effects of being drawn out into a forest or difficult terrain would be disastrous!

More ideas are welcome!

garythewargamer
11-03-2009, 13:25
frenzy units can be draw all around the board by a good general and several cheap units. Yes if they get to combat they are worth it but I had to point out their downside.

_Kalas_
11-03-2009, 13:26
I see You like symetry [just like me] :)

How about dropping 1 unit of warriors, mounting 2 characters in chariots, be it 2xlevel2 sorcerors for example [now the core of the list will look just like mine]

Now You have 2 infantry blocks, backed up by 2 RANK BREAKING chariots [US5 with character in it]
It could be the solid centre of Your army.
IMHO MoK on chariots is not the best idea, simply cause You can't let Your chariot got charged, and with MoK You can't flee.

With 2x6 knights on the flanks, Your opponent gonna have 4 juicy targets to pick.

Hounds and horseman, You definitely need them, and You should consider some magic banners.

cheers

Rookie1986
11-03-2009, 14:00
Can you put a sorcerer in a chariot with MoK as he doesn't have the same mark?

Godswildcard
11-03-2009, 14:03
I like chosen, but if you can't get the right toys for them, I'd say go with a Hellcannon. They are nasty and can be game winners if you run them correctly. They can also hold down the rear for you while your warriors go and kill things. I think they are well worth the points!

_Kalas_
11-03-2009, 14:16
Can you put a sorcerer in a chariot with MoK as he doesn't have the same mark?

You can put any character in unmarked chariot since there is no undivided mark anymore, I'm not sure but probably You can put an unmarked hero in marked chariot as well, since they can't have different marks.
But....., putting a sorceror in khornate chariot doesn't sound fluffy,besides, khornate chariots are not the best idea anyway.

Ultimo ninja
11-03-2009, 16:40
Chaos army list problem:

Warriors are core but are priced more like specialelites, well, because they really are.

Marauders are good meat shields and god for CC, but dont kill much.What would I do for another core infantry choice that fell somewhere in ebtween the two...bah.

For your list, heres an idea:

NO KNIGHTS!

sounds crazy? Maybe.

think about it:

with those points, get two massiive marauder blocks, mrk them khorne, give them great weapons. Use the left over points for another chariot.

Warriors, marauders, chariots. good.

Now get a hellcannon or a giant with some spawns. get a good exalted killy char as your general, a bsb, and 1 or 2 scroll caddies (mark them nurgle).

Now you have a chaos infantry horde.

If you have points, get a warshrine.

Zoat
11-03-2009, 17:41
Hello everyone!

Yes, I like symmetry, especially if the number 6 is involved as I am a slaanesh person! :)

I've been thinking a bit more and I really think an army like this needs a BSB. With so few ranks there will probably be several protracted fights and every now and then the rubber halberd/sword/lance syndrome will force warriors and knights to take a break test. I like my BSB to carry a War Banner for a mobile +2 CR generator. Works wonders when charging out of a unit!

I also think the Rapturous Standard would be great. Works wonders near a BSB!

I'm not sure I like putting wizards in chariots. On the up side there is US5, its 20 pts cheaper and you free up a special slot. But how often does US5 come into play for a chariot? Maybe late in the game when you've broken through the first line. The down side is that you loose 2 S5 attacks, your wizard gets a lot less mobile and add there are a whole lot of more eggs in that basket.

But maybe it would be nice to mount a fighty character in a chariot... Instead of paying 16 pts for a steed, you get 20 pts reduction on a chariot! But again there is some loss in mobility.

Ultimo: I really want to go all Chaos Warriors here. Big blocks of marauders would break theme too much. Maybe another day! :)

So here is my next incarnation of the list. There are still about 250 pts to spend and I have neither general or any magic defense. Defense against march blockers is also poor. Maybe I should loose one Chaos Warrior (see, I'm threading that path again) to get a wizard. What do you think?

CHARACTERS
=========

BSB + steed + War Banner

CORE
=====

12 Chaos Warriors of Slaanesh, shield, halberd, std, mus
+ Rapturous Standard

2 x 5 Warhounds

5 Marauders Horse, flail, musician

5 Marauder horse, th. axe, musician