PDA

View Full Version : casting spells while in CC

woodulikeanother
10-03-2009, 22:39
which spells for the O&G can be cast while the shaman himself is in close combat?, because the waagh paint you get as a magic item says you only get the +2 to cast while he is in close combat.

i think basically all of them should be able to be cast given he has LOS if needed, and except the magic missiles so only the 2 spells gaze of mork and brain bursta, is this correct?

EvC
10-03-2009, 22:45
Any spell except magic missile can be cast. If they need line of sight, the Shaman must have line of sight.

woodulikeanother
10-03-2009, 22:57
thats what i thought, otherwise the waagh paint is useless almost haha

woodulikeanother
10-03-2009, 22:59
another quick question that is completely off the subject.

-for VC vampiric powers, is having multiple vampires with walking death in the same unit pointless or do they stack? i have been playing it as stacking so like i usually give the BSB and another vamp walking death and put them in the same unit, is this legal or can you only get +1 no matter how many vamps have it? i just sometimes kick the crap out of my opponent with the +2 and it seems unfair

Neknoh
10-03-2009, 22:59
Works like this:

Unless specified, cannot be cast INTO combat
Unless LoS required, can be cast at anything BUT combat
WHen IN combat, LoS = limited to combat

Ergo:

If the spell does not require Line of Sight, he can cast it OUT of combat but not into it
If the spell doesn't require Line of Sight but can be cast into combat, he can cast it OUT of combat AND into combat (not necessarily his own)
If the spell requires Line of Sight, he can NOT cast the spell whilst in combat
If the spell requires Line of Sight and can be cast into combat, he CAN cast whilst in combat

EvC
10-03-2009, 23:13
another quick question that is completely off the subject.

-for VC vampiric powers, is having multiple vampires with walking death in the same unit pointless or do they stack? i have been playing it as stacking so like i usually give the BSB and another vamp walking death and put them in the same unit, is this legal or can you only get +1 no matter how many vamps have it? i just sometimes kick the crap out of my opponent with the +2 and it seems unfair

Read the rules for Walking Death carefully: they state the presence of one or more Vampires gives +1 to CR. So it doesn't matter how many Vamps have it, you only get it once per combat.

Nurgling Chieftain
10-03-2009, 23:33
LOS is frequently restricted by being in combat, but it is not necessarily entirely blocked. The wizard could be at a corner sticking out; or, the wizard could be on a large target like a dragon or stegadon, and thus can usually see over whatever unit they're fighting (unless it's also a large target).

So, you can be in combat and still have LOS to units not in combat. That still won't let you cast magic missiles, but many LOS spells are not magic missiles.

woodulikeanother
10-03-2009, 23:42
ok got it, thanks.
also @EvC ok so my feeling of being unfair was actually unfair haha because it was illegal on my part, also the aura of dark majesty is different it -1 from LD and says cumulative with any other modifiers, so does this mean i could stack this with 2 vamps then?

Necromancy Black
11-03-2009, 02:48
If the spell requires Line of Sight, he can NOT cast the spell whilst in combat

Wrong, you can still cast spells, but you must have LOS to a unit not engage in combat. This will happen fairly often.

Braad
11-03-2009, 07:09
The only spells you can never cast OUT of CC are the magic missiles, and (if there are any) spells that specifically say you can't. For example: gaze of mork.

If you're flanked, and your shaman is in the front rank, he can still see, since there is no enemy directly blocking his LOS.
If you're on a wyvern, you are a large target and thus also can see over any non-large targets.
If you are in combat though, and the enemy is blocking your sight, you can't cast spells that require LOS, like the 'eadbutt.

If your line of sight is blocked, you need spells that do not need LOS, like gork's warpath or WAAAGH.

You can always cast fists of gork when you're within 18". No other restrictions are given for this one, and allowed to cast into combat.

And bash 'm ladz is nice when you are in CC, as the only limitations given for that one is that the target must be within 18" and must be in CC.

WLBjork
11-03-2009, 07:58
ok got it, thanks.
also @EvC ok so my feeling of being unfair was actually unfair haha because it was illegal on my part, also the aura of dark majesty is different it -1 from LD and says cumulative with any other modifiers, so does this mean i could stack this with 2 vamps then?

It still says "one or more vampires", so no.

EvC
11-03-2009, 12:32
Tell a man the rules, and he'll ask you another question. Teach a man to read the rules himself... and he'll probably just ask you another question with exactly the same answer anyway :o

Braad
11-03-2009, 14:09
"The almighty says: don't change the subject, just answer the f*ckin' question!"
From 'Robin Hood: men in tights' I believe.
I don't really know why I quote this, but it just sprang to mind...

Plaguelord Deathspasm
11-03-2009, 14:16
Isn't that quote from Braveheart? I think the Irish guy says it.

narrativium
11-03-2009, 14:16
Braad: that's a Braveheart quote.

EvC
11-03-2009, 16:00
...and the question had already been answered ;)