PDA

View Full Version : Worthwhile to pre-/advance order?

Battle-Brother Wags
10-03-2009, 22:47
With the release of the new Imperial Guard codex and box sets coming up relatively soon, I'm thinking about pre-ordering some things. But before I do, I'm wondering what the benefit of doing this is. I know that I can call up my FLGS and have them reserve a copy for me so that I could get it on the 2nd of May. Actually, probably on the 1st, seeing as how they get their shipments in on Fridays and that would be the 1st. I got the marine codex a day or so "early" this way.

I've heard of people getting advanced orders SIGNIFICANTLY early, but has anyone had the reverse problem? Since there is shipping involved, is there any sort of guarentee you will receive the new 'dex at least one the release date if you pre-order it? I'd love to have the chance of having the 'dex a few days, maybe a week early, if that is common with pre-orders, but if I have to risk getting it a week LATE . . . well, then maybe I'll just reserve a copy at my FLGS.

Anyone want to share their experiences with pre-/advanced ordering?

Ulfhedin
10-03-2009, 22:54
To ensure delivery by the release date Direct Sales will usually ship in the week preceeding the release at the latest.

Of course there will be those that have recieved an advance order late (and usually those kind of dissapointments stick in the memory far longer than good service).

If you have an 'arrangement' with a trade stockist then go for it. Otherwise, you should give Direct a go. Why not test the water by ordering something you will want multiples of (like the Valkyrie) and that way you can still be confident of getting stuff on the day, but might get something early.

Marshal Sinclair
10-03-2009, 22:56
I advance ordered my Reaver months before it came out, and I still didn't get it until week after the release date. That's the only thing I ever advance ordered.

Battle-Brother Wags
10-03-2009, 22:57
Well, I suppose I'll have all the time I need to observe the in-store copy of the 'dex when it is in-store in a week or so . . . and we'll have a ton of things posted here as well. So I suppose I could give advance order a go . . . and if I get it a little late, it wouldnt' be that big a deal, because I'd be able to see stuff quite regularly anyway. I'm just not comfortable actually putting an army together and trying to play a game without the 'dex in my grubby little mits.

captainramoz
10-03-2009, 23:02
In my country i had to wait a hole month to get my codex so maybe you should wait cause sometimes shipping fails.

Cane
10-03-2009, 23:13
Are stores able to stockpile how many new items they want? If so thats probably a major reason why they would offer pre-orders - so they know how many items to buy for their local customers as well as their online/phone counterparts.

Drogmir
11-03-2009, 00:02
In all honesty I found that as long as you get in your order about a week or two early, you're guaranteed a copy.

Starchild
11-03-2009, 01:28
The only way I could justify an advance order is if I needed something ASAP for a tourney.

Lord Solar Plexus
11-03-2009, 07:15
I think I will give it a try this time (albeit from an Indie store). Even if I get my stuff late, the currency rate savings at least will be worth the hassle.

Binky
11-03-2009, 08:09
I advance ordered my Reaver months before it came out, and I still didn't get it until week after the release date. That's the only thing I ever advance ordered.

Forgeworld are different to regular Games Workshop though, as they're more constrained by the time taken to produce each model, plus, as it says on the website the release date is the first date they start shipping out new models.

Same here though I ordered my reaver within a couple of hours of the pre-order going up on the site and didn't get it till nearly 4 weeks after the release date, in my experience most FW stuff turns up the week of release though.

Kettu
11-03-2009, 10:55
Like people above, the only time I pre-ordered anything from GW, Vth edition rulebook and tri-cover edition, I recived them over a week after release date.

The Clairvoyant
11-03-2009, 12:45
I've pre-ordered a few things in the past and never really noticed whether i got it before release date or not. I know my vampire counts spearhead arrived 2 days late but i was so eager for that i'd been counting down the days! :D
When i received the uber mega hardback 40k 5th ed rulebook, i'd forgotten i'd ordered it so that was a nice surprise but no idea if i got it early or late.
I also remember pre-ordering the tyranids when they were released in 2nd edition, but things were slightly different back then. In the army deal you got hormagaunts and webspinner termagants which weren't on general release until 3 or 4 months after the codex (at least according to the new releases advert in White Dwarf at the time)

Deathklaat
11-03-2009, 14:22
With the release of the new Imperial Guard codex and box sets coming up relatively soon, I'm thinking about pre-ordering some things. But before I do, I'm wondering what the benefit of doing this is. I know that I can call up my FLGS and have them reserve a copy for me so that I could get it on the 2nd of May. Actually, probably on the 1st, seeing as how they get their shipments in on Fridays and that would be the 1st. I got the marine codex a day or so "early" this way.

I've heard of people getting advanced orders SIGNIFICANTLY early, but has anyone had the reverse problem? Since there is shipping involved, is there any sort of guarentee you will receive the new 'dex at least one the release date if you pre-order it? I'd love to have the chance of having the 'dex a few days, maybe a week early, if that is common with pre-orders, but if I have to risk getting it a week LATE . . . well, then maybe I'll just reserve a copy at my FLGS.

Anyone want to share their experiences with pre-/advanced ordering?

I pre-ordered my Shadowsword/Stormlord kit from theWarStore.com, i got it a day before release AND 20% off!

OrlyggJafnakol
11-03-2009, 14:28
I pre-ordered a stompa way before the released date and recieved my model a week and a half before it hit the shelves. This was the first time I had pre-ordered anything (as I usually just buy on the day of release) but I had heard good things about the service in the UK.

I would certainly order again this way, in fact as soon as the Valkyrie goes up as a pre-order I shall do so.