PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Dark Elf Army, Paint up as Drow?

whimplow
10-03-2009, 23:27
Ill start reciving my Dark Elf mins this week to start my new Army.

I am drawn betwwen painting them up pale skinned like in the books or as Drow using the Repear Master Series Drow Triad. Both have thier appeal to me so I was just looking for a vote in the poll and any thoughts you may have.

Thanks

Condottiere
10-03-2009, 23:41
It would be different; I think you'd have to be subtle in mixing black, purple and other dark shades.

alextroy
11-03-2009, 01:01
I'll say Drow, but not if your just using black paint for the flesh. Go shades of darkness!

Kalist
11-03-2009, 01:01
If you could pull it off it would be awesome to have an army representing menzoborazzen. Go Zaknafien gooooo!

Orkeosaurus
11-03-2009, 01:18
Do not make their skin literally black, as some have already said. They would need to be a dark gray or purple or blue or something.

Straight "Chaos Black" wouldn't look very good. They'd look like you primed them and never got around to their faces.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
11-03-2009, 01:20
I think they have the possibility to look good, however... if you're rolling in the WHFB world, I'd recommend you go with how they are described. I'm sure I'll catch all sorts of flack for that, but it's how I feel.

Do it however you want! Please, don't kill me angry Warseers!

Mr Uber
11-03-2009, 01:39
I painted my DE's in a dark purple with white hair.

Phunting
11-03-2009, 01:45
Go for it. I've considered re-painting my DEs as drow on several occasions, but never gotten around to it.

selone
11-03-2009, 01:55
One vote for the say no to ADn'D here :p

Neckutter
11-03-2009, 02:28
i dont think grey skin is easy to paint, or looks to good. imo i like tanned flesh, with a drybrush of elfflesh, devland mud, then a last slight drybrush of elf flesh. thats just me though. :)

however i DO like DE with blonde hair. it looks marvelous! :)
afterall they are still the same race as HE. :)

Bregalad
11-03-2009, 10:51
I am about to paint my Dark Elf army in the Drow style (waiting for outdoor temperatures to get warmer for undercoating and the Gamezone standards to arrive ;)), including some conversions in that direction featuring spiders and scorpions.

Dark Elves with pale skin just look wrong, esp. when wearing bright colours close to high elves. The original concept has them with dark skin and white hair, and that's how they look best.

Neknoh
11-03-2009, 11:21
Chaos black with increasing ammounts of purple in it for the highlights should look good.

Be sure to actually being able to paint well if you do drow though, you need thinn paints, many, many layers and a really crisp white.

Also, don't do their cloth purple if you do Drow, go for rich and deep reds or greens instead, will likely look better with their skincolour and hair.

In other news, I would much preffer the standard GW scheme, seen so many bad Drow on the net, however, IF you can pull it off, it might look good

Desert Rain
11-03-2009, 11:41
Drows are ugly as hell in my opinion, but if you like it go ahead.

chivalrous
11-03-2009, 14:26
I forget the edition but at one point GW had the Dark Elves portrayed with pale blue skin (no, not the Sea Elves, it was definately Dark Elves).

My own Dark Elves have a very pale purple skin and various hair colours.

Commodus Leitdorf
11-03-2009, 14:37
Paint them however you want, its your army If the colour scheme so offends your opponent that it causes his to lose concentration, all the better. :)

Hell, a friend of mine painted his Cold One Knights Hot pink!.....Oh jeez just realized I'm going to a doubles tournament with him....

whimplow
11-03-2009, 14:48
Thanks for all the Input...Im literally drawn 50/50 on it maybe leaning towards the pale flesh as it would likely sell better if I ever abandon the project and want to get rid of it.

But If I did do it Drow Style I would Use the Reaper MAster Series Drown Skin triad for the skin on the males, and on the females try a lighter shade maybe 2/1 mix of the Dark Elf skin with ghostly white or something to that effect.

The Master Series Tried does appear to be a dark grey purplish color for the skin

Neknoh
11-03-2009, 15:12
Don't mix white into the highlights, greys mixed with purple or blue is needed, otherwise, the skin will just go ash-coloured and dusty way too quickly.

Bloodhunter
11-03-2009, 15:58
I really don't like the drow scheme a lot so I've voted pale skin.

I would paint them very pale, using pure white as the last lights.

Rolo Ramone
11-03-2009, 16:19
What about a "Magus" look? Magus was an elf from Chrono Trigger for Snes. Akira Toriyama made the characters and Magus is a really cool Character. I thing it could be a good idea.

Godfiend
11-03-2009, 22:30
My friend is painting his Dark Elves to look like Dunmer from the Elder Scrolls games.

O&G'sRule
11-03-2009, 22:34
My DE's have blue skin, like some of the army book pics

mweaver
11-03-2009, 22:52
Turning it the other way around, I paint my D&D drow with pale skin. (1) Drow (and WH dark elves) are an offshoot of elves, who have pale skin, and given their long lives genetic drift would be a loooooooooong time coming; (2) being a subterranean race, if anything they would have become paler than surface elves; and (3) lighter colors of flesh are easier to paint than "black", and if you are a really good painter (better than me) I think the difference in the amount of texture you can obtain becomes even more pronounced.

So, accordingly, I suggest you go with pale.

However, you should probably paint one pale one and one "drow" one, and see what you think.

Kalandros
11-03-2009, 22:55
I voted no, because I see too many Drow armies.
But some can get it quite right..
Quite right indeed!
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=60449
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=60402

rottahn
11-03-2009, 23:28
its called "elf flesh" for a reason!

:)

skuller
11-03-2009, 23:29
Do you have test models? post picks
are you planning to do the total jet black drow or the more dark bown ?

ethsar46
12-03-2009, 00:46
You can feel free to take a look at my army diary up on the Wargamer AU forums if you like.

Im doing a drow army army myself, thinking pre-WotSQ Agrach Dyrr but that might change, I have some test paint pics up.

One has a Black > Shadow Grey skin tone.

Other has Black > Hormagaunt Purple tone.

I'd probly go for more more coats and lightning the colour several times to get a better effect however.

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63058

Bregalad
12-03-2009, 20:44
Here a Drow miniature (actually Drider) skin colour that works and an artwork for suggesting the cool Drow style:
(drider currently unavailable, I was lucky to get this as mounted sorceress :))

Zoolander
12-03-2009, 23:20
Painting drow with black skin is going to be a pain. But if you are presistent and patient and a good painter, they will look pretty hot. Not for the inexperienced painter, though!

O&G'sRule
12-03-2009, 23:28
its called "elf flesh" for a reason!

:)

Whats hawk turquoise then?

Talonz
12-03-2009, 23:49
Ugh, Drow are so overdone. I would read all the GW fluff you can and pick something that catches your imagination out of it to base your army on.

natsirtm
13-03-2009, 17:08
i voted for drow - good idea, i've been thinking of doin up a DE army based on Elric of Melnibone

Talonz
13-03-2009, 17:10
Which has nothing to do with drow or dark elves.....?

natsirtm
13-03-2009, 22:27
True but just different. Melniboneans seem a lot closer to elves than humans.