PDA

View Full Version : Empire Knighty order vs Enginer based list

TheForsakenLord
11-03-2009, 00:30
Hi folks
I'm looking to collect an empire army and I'm trying to decide between a knightly order themed one with lots of dead cheap militia/heavy knights/great swords/ fanatics. Or a heavy enigi themed with cannons and that fire power. which list is a more viable choice?

Pichamorena
11-03-2009, 12:25
Why dont both?

gunline with 2 knighty order and 2-3 cheap infantry.

Keller
11-03-2009, 12:38
TheForsakenLord, which is more appealing to you?

The Gunline - an army comprised of mostly warmachines and ranged units, gets rather boring to play against and with very quickly. But an Engineer-themed army, with a few machines, a couple of ranged units, and some infantry sprinkled in, can be very fun to play, depending on your mix. If you like to make a custom-modeled army, there are tons of oppertunities to make fantastic tech-based units. Sping-loaded halberdiers/spears, giant sprockets for shields, angry mechanics w/ wrenches for free-company, robo-knights.... the list goes on.

A Knightly army is fun, but if you're looking for cheap infantry and loads of heavy cavalry, Bretonia may be a better option. It can certainly work with Empire, of course, but Bretonia gets a lot of special rules to help cavalry.

I myself play Empire as a combined-arms approach. Usually 2-4 infantry blocks (with detachments, naturally) backed by 1-3 war machines, 1-2 shooters, and maybe a mounted unit or two on occassion.

Why dont both?

gunline with 2 knighty order and 2-3 cheap infantry.

This is generally considered a combined-arms approach, and works very well. Except with the ammount of points distributed to other units, its hard to make a "gunline" but rather just have 1-2 units of shooters.

Godswildcard
11-03-2009, 12:44
I used to run a knightly order army supported by a few ranged units (thinking 2x 10 handgunners) and a cannon to deal with large beasties. The rest was spent on knights. It actually worked quite well, as many armies only have 1-2 units devoted to killing heavy things, and when you have 30-40 knights on the board, that makes it much more difficult.

One of the most fun games I ever had with them was a Storm of Chaos game in which we met on an open field and my 30 knights just formed a line across the board (a la the charge of the Rohirrim in the 3rd Lord of the Rings movie) and charged. Just to much fun.

The Farmer
11-03-2009, 23:30
An engineer theme could work if you do alot of count as because engineers are nigh useless. For every piece of artillery they give a reroll its more cost effective to buy a second of that machine. So unless you really want fluff even an engineer theme would probably have to include a count as general. If you get alot of great conversions then an engineer army would be a sight to behold with its mechanical and zany aspects.

A knight army could also work, just remember that we lack true hammer knights and require heavy investment in characters to bring knights on par with other heavy cavalry. A grand master with laurels in a hammer unit is about as hitty as we can get.

TheForsakenLord
12-03-2009, 01:30
thanks for the advice all
I'm hearing allot of support for a combination of the two how about a few steam tanks to handle big things with there cannons? They could guard the flank and provide the extra boost my knights need with flank charge when called upon to do so (plus apparently there soon going to be plastic *fingers crossed*).

pkain762
12-03-2009, 15:43
steam tanks are a solid unit... i love them, just be prepared for a couple of stares as you pull out the old steam tank.... especially if you bring more than one.... and yes they are coming out with a plastic tank in june

kain