PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a SM Chapter

Ironmind
11-03-2009, 12:54
Hiya all.

I've been familiar with the 40K Universe for a while now, I've actually painted some miniatures already since I really enjoy them.

I've been meaning to actually give it a try and play the game, so I was wondering (since I already know it's going to be Space Marines) which chapter to choose from?

Are there any tips or summary sites where I could check the main differences between them?

The miniatures I already have are in black, so in principle I would be inclined to choose something like Dark Angels or Templars?..

Your thoughts?

Smiling Banshee
11-03-2009, 13:00
Well when I was deciding which chapter to go for I found this site very useful.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_Space_Marine_Chapters

Lucifer216
11-03-2009, 13:10
The latest Space Marine codex does a good job at showcasing most of the codex chapters.
The most famous chapters with Black armour are the Raven Guard and the Black Templars.

What I suggest is to pick a chapter that resonates with part of your personality or that you can identify with. For example, I first chose the Blood Angels, as I'm personally a big vampire fan and their nobility, coupled with barely contained savagery really appealed.

pookie
11-03-2009, 13:26
The latest Space Marine codex does a good job at showcasing most of the codex chapters.
The most famous chapters with Black armour are the Raven Guard and the Black Templars.

Iron hands also.

imo, i few things matter, do you want to go with established 'background'? or do you want your own?

this is a bigger thing imo then what chapter to choose.

do you have any fav colours? do you like anything 'fantsay' - ie as noted above Vampires? theres lots of reasons to choose one 'named' chapter over another/your own.

im a BT player, simply becuase i like the knight theme and the model range.

chrismp_123
11-03-2009, 13:52
My personal favorite black armored chapter is the Iron Hands. You should read up on them. They are fantastic.

Gdolkin
12-03-2009, 16:40
Another vote for the Iron Hands. There's so much 40k-grimdark in them :) As another warseer member has said, 'Bionic space nazis ftw'. Plus you can play up the Mechanicus links..

Brucopeloso
12-03-2009, 16:55
Depending on your playstile (aggressive with a lot of CC or mechanized) either Raven guard or Iron hands.

I really like the Iron Hands mainly for all the conversion and modelling potential.::chrome:

pookie
12-03-2009, 17:17
some other black armoured chapters: Black Consuls, Iron Lords ( although legs are painted red ), Sable Swords. ( just to throw some other chapter names at you )