PDA

View Full Version : Batallion = great deal, army = good deal, spearhead = bad deal?

swarmofseals
11-03-2009, 13:48
I spent some time looking over the GW website and was pretty surprised at what I found when looking at the various bundle deals.

I looked at the Lizardmen and Dark Elf battalions and found that they were both really good deals, offering about $125ish worth of minis for $90. Obviously you might get some stuff that you aren't going to use, but that should be easy to trade, resell, or what not.

"Army" boxes also seemed like a pretty good deal. The Orc and Goblin army is a bit over $200 worth of models for $175, the High Elf Army is about $225 worth of stuff again for $175 and the Dwarf army is nearly $260 worth of stuff for $175! So the Dwarf army is as good a value as the battalions while the others are slightly worse but still good deals.

The Dwarf Defenders boxed set is a unique offering, giving you about $625 worth of stuff for $515. Not on par with the battalions but still a good value.

Of course, Battle At Skull Pass is pretty unparalleled. At $60 you get like $80 worth of Dwarf stuff alone, not even counting all of the O+G models and other gaming supplies. This is the best bang for buck in Warhammer probably.

What really surprised me is how awful the "spearhead" boxes are. Currently, there are three available: Dark Elves, Vampire Counts, and Chaos. The Dark Elf spearhead is only a few dollars less than you would pay if you bought the items individually and it gives you precious few troops... the box is very character heavy, offering a lot of redundant characters (ie: foot and mounted versions of the same stuff).

The Chaos Spearhead is also about an even value and has a lot of its money in characters as well.

The Vampire Counts box is the least explicable. At least it has a fair number of troops... but unless my math is wrong it actually costs $12 MORE to buy than the components bought individually!

Does anyone actually buy these spearheads?

Draznar
11-03-2009, 14:07
I bought a Daemons of Chaos Spearhead Box for $145.

Peegore
11-03-2009, 14:09
The spearhead sets are a way to get the newest models sculpts and the army book in advance of the official release dates. I suppose once that point of time has passed, they seem less attractive. Personally I've never bothered with them.

Nor with the army deals, but batallions are by far and away the single best way to start an army. Very good value, especially if bought from sites such as giftsforgeeks etc, where a box will set you back around £37 instead of the usual £50 GW price.

Lord Malorne
11-03-2009, 14:10
Spearheads are for early releases.

Not deal box's, not money savers, they are released a few weeks before the items are released individualy, yes, they are crap.

swarmofseals
11-03-2009, 17:24
Ahh OK, didn't know that. Kinda a shame. They should probably drop the prices after release to make them attractive.

I didn't even know there was a Daemons spearhead... it's no longer listed on the GW website.

snottlebocket
11-03-2009, 18:36
Batallions aren't worth it either unless you actually want every single item in the box. Hence the good batallions are the ones that contain stuff you don't mind have multpiles of like the skaven and ogre ones. And the bad batallion sets are the ones that you can only use once, or not at all if it contains something crummy.

The warmachines and fast cav in the empire set for instance mean you'll rarely want more than one or two over just buying stuff seperately.

selone
11-03-2009, 18:42
Would you say the wood elf battalion was good value?

isidril93
11-03-2009, 21:44
Spearheads are for early releases.

Not deal box's, not money savers, they are released a few weeks before the items are released individualy, yes, they are crap.

ironically thehigh elf was released after the book came out...dont know why but the army was released with the book and the spearhead was definently release after that

swarmofseals
12-03-2009, 00:58
Batallions aren't worth it either unless you actually want every single item in the box. Hence the good batallions are the ones that contain stuff you don't mind have multpiles of like the skaven and ogre ones. And the bad batallion sets are the ones that you can only use once, or not at all if it contains something crummy.

The warmachines and fast cav in the empire set for instance mean you'll rarely want more than one or two over just buying stuff seperately.

This of course assumes you can't just sell the extra models that you don't want.

The lizardman battalion, for example, has 8 cold one riders, which is a little overkill. The rest of the box is useful enough that I imagine most lizzie players would want 2. Lo and behold, the value of the rest of the models adds up to right around 90 bucks not counting the cold one riders... so think of those as a free bonus to either sell, use, or trade as you see fit.

RE: Wood Elf Battalion. Based on the value of the items, I'd say its a very good deal. You are getting about $122.50 worth of stuff for $90. Of course, I don't know that much about wood elves so I can't really speak to how often you will field all of the units in the box.

EDIT: The Ogre Kingdoms Battalion is also an incredibly good deal because it packs about $150 worth of minis in a $90 box. Same goes for Skaven, which features $145 worth for $90.

selone
12-03-2009, 02:01
Cheers, the ogre one also gives you a fairly good sized force points wise that is fairly usable. I ask as I have a friend looking at starting elves and was wondering about the value of different battalions. The high elf one doesn't seem that good a value as it has silver helms in which are not great. Whilst I have the wood elf army book I have little idea whether you'd use the models in the battalion box.

Znail
12-03-2009, 07:43
There is a reason that the Spearheads didnt sell very well and they have dropped them.

swarmofseals
12-03-2009, 16:17
Cheers, the ogre one also gives you a fairly good sized force points wise that is fairly usable. I ask as I have a friend looking at starting elves and was wondering about the value of different battalions. The high elf one doesn't seem that good a value as it has silver helms in which are not great. Whilst I have the wood elf army book I have little idea whether you'd use the models in the battalion box.

Yeah, to figure out if something is a good value I'd just add up the total cost of buying the contents of the box separately and then compare to the price of the box. If you want, you can then go and subtract the price of any stuff from the box that you don't plan on ever using, or better yet you can go to a place like bartertown and or ebay and see what those things are selling for on the secondary market and value those items that way.

IE: you might find that the high elf box is only an even or so value if you factor out the silver helms, but that if you resell the silver helms you save yourself some money.

Fenlear
12-03-2009, 17:52
Your math is definitely off. The spearheads costs EXACTLY what rounding up things individually costs. Itís not slightly cheaper or slightly more expensive; itís the exact same price. I wasnít aware that they came out before the main releases but even still I find it hard to believe anyone buys these besides gullible parents that have to buy the biggest set possible for their spoiled brats. Even if for some odd reason you wanted every piece that comes in these sets you would still be better off getting it all separately as you would at least get more boxes that way. Some discount stores gives credit based on the number of items you buys, in which case the set would count as 1 instead of 12.

swarmofseals
13-03-2009, 03:06
Your math is definitely off. The spearheads costs EXACTLY what rounding up things individually costs.

My bad, I just double checked and you are correct. Point still stands though, the deal is terrible.