PDA

View Full Version : Reality of 40k

deloneninja
11-03-2009, 14:41
To me this seemed like one of the more intelligent warhammer boards, so i wanted to hear what you guys thought about this.

This thread is to talk about the similarities and differences to what may become reality and 40k.

In 40k, mankind travels space by tearing open reality and entering the warp, the ether where demons and all sorts of stuff likes to hang out. But as it turns out, there probably is a real ether. Not to say its infested with demons, but if it exists then its very likely it is the key to traversing the stars. Einstein said if the ether existed it would be impossible to prove. And now scientists are already looking into this possibility. NASA was talking about a new type of engine involving a magnetic mercury like liquid that is put into a donut shaped thingy, and then spun around in there until it turns into plasma, or something like that. And this may be capable of disrupting the electromagnetic flow of the ether, allowing for anti gravity, or fast space travel. I think. I'll find the article and post it up. But what are your guys opinions on this? Do you think that eventually space travel will be possible thanks to some kind of an ether?

PondaNagura
11-03-2009, 14:52
well we couldnt do it in any conventional sense as it would take far too long. i mean how many months does it take to send an unmanned probe to mars again? and that's in system.

power armor and bionics are very real things, but in case of power armor the main factor is the power. there's some vid floating around here from about a year or so ago of a exo-suit designed for the US military, in which the guy casually lifts 500 lbs. could be made for lifting and toeing ammo/parts as well as being automated rather than handled by humans.

bionics, or rather prosthetics have made all kinds of leaps and bounds in recent years. recently they tapped into a persons electrical-nerv system to move the parts, instead of the counterbalance/muscle contractions that most of them rely on.

deloneninja
11-03-2009, 14:56
well we couldnt do it in any conventional sense as it would take far too long. i mean how many months does it take to send an unmanned probe to mars again? and that's in system.

I am talking about something that disrupts time and space, so you would be riding around in a distortion. And yeah, power armor and lots of other technologies are becoming real. I would have no doubt that eventually you can lose an arm and have it replaced with some full functioning bionic. They already have plans for some of this stuff i bet, i know exoskeletons have been in the works for a little while.

Hell's Angel
11-03-2009, 14:57
I think 38 thousand years in the future, all of mankinds accomplishments will lie under a layer of earth, and stone personally... But lets say we dont completely kill ourselves, or suffer some sort of Extinction Level Event. I imagine the technology we will possess at that time would be completely unrecognisable to us. It would be intellectually further for us to understand than for a caveman to travel via a rocket to the international space station, and comprehend afterwards when we ask him, "Ugg?"
Folding space, inner space, multiple realities, these are only concepts to us. For our future ancestors they will be reality. Tremble in fear.

I see us colonising alternate earths rather than other planets... So um in a way that will make us the Daemons... lol

FeetOfClay
11-03-2009, 15:24
I agree with Hell's Angel, looking at the rate of scientific discovery in even the last 100 years, by the year 40,000 our technology will be incredible (that is, if we havent killed ourselves by then).

Lucifer216
11-03-2009, 15:28
Hmm. God job you didn't post on a World of Darkness discussion forum. Mage: The Ascension actually had a "splat"/faction called the Sons of Ether (a bunch of "enlightened scientists" who basically were a cuddlier version of your typical mad scientist.

PondaNagura
11-03-2009, 15:37
yeah i got you the first time, artificial/intentional disruption of time in space isn't what i call "conventional sense". you are twisting the fabrics of space beyond 'modern' understanding (at least for the casual layman), by conventional i meant more simple propulsion engines.

the problem with 40k is the whole handwavium answer for where all these resources come from initially. i mean once you've conquered and terraformed pretty much a galaxy, then of course there are materials a plenty, but in the beforetime from the long long ago, we work with what we have, which might not be alot.

i would be interested to how much energy needs to be applied to that dimensional-disruption and how 'large' is the area of affect is and for how long.

Lord Malorne
11-03-2009, 15:50
We'd probably be on the way to a functioning Dyson sphere before ether travel.

baphomael
11-03-2009, 16:15
I agree with Hell's Angel, looking at the rate of scientific discovery in even the last 100 years, by the year 40,000 our technology will be incredible (that is, if we havent killed ourselves by then).

Technological development doesnt increase in a linear way. It peaks and troughs. For example, in the world of medicine we had to relearn stuff the Greeks and Romans took for granted after the Dark Ages.

Currently, human technological development has been peaking for a few hundred years, but that is not to say it will continue to grow. We might be back to banging rocks together in the year 40,000.

Sai-Lauren
11-03-2009, 16:38
NASA was talking about a new type of engine involving a magnetic mercury like liquid that is put into a donut shaped thingy, and then spun around in there until it turns into plasma, or something like that. And this may be capable of disrupting the electromagnetic flow of the ether, allowing for anti gravity, or fast space travel. I think. I'll find the article and post it up. But what are your guys opinions on this? Do you think that eventually space travel will be possible thanks to some kind of an ether?

You mean a tokamak (the doughnut shaped thingy ;))?

If it becomes a plasma (needs to be heated too, can't just spin it around very quickly), it is highly ionised, so it'll have it's own electromagnetic fields anyway - but the electromagnetic fields of the tokamak keeping the plasma from touching the walls and vaporising them would certainly interfere with them, and likely would have to cancel them out in order to contain it properly.

Basically, IIRC, there's four theoretical possibilities for FTL travel.
1) Einstein wasn't completely correct, and FTL travel is possible, although we've not worked out the physics of it yet, and certainly couldn't produce the amount of power required at the moment. (Ok, this is probably the most controversial one - ironic considering the others are talking about alternate dimensions and the like ;), but don't forget, until Einstein came along, Newton was right, and going against what he said would have been controversial).

Einstein sulks because he can't do you for speeding.

2) Warping/folding space to create wormholes, or to reduce the "distance" ahead of you, so you still move at the same speed, but travel from here to there over what is effectively a shorter distance (think this is how the guy that wrote The Science of Star Trek theorised how ST's Warp Drive could work, fold the space in front of you to reduce the distance, whilst unfolding and then expanding the space behind you to increase the distance you've travelled).

Einstein gets miffed but can't do anything about it, because you're not actually breaking the speed limit, it just looks like it from the point of view of an external observer.

3) Quantum tunnelling (jumps from one point to another, without passing through the intervening space - likely small distances per jump (say 100m), with the drive cycling rapidly (even 25 100m jumps/second would get something from Earth to Mars in about 4 months - has been achieved on the sub-atomic scale, was the FTL Drive in the RPG Traveller 2300AD). This could also be a way of getting teleportation to work.

Einstein says "how did you get over there? Or there, or there? Wait, stop, come back!" :D, and an external observer sees multiple images of you in different positions in space (cf. The Picard Maneuver from ST:TNG: The Battle).

4) Warp space/hyperspace/jump space/witchspace/starbursting or whatever else you want to call it. This is what you're talking about - travelling through a parallel dimension where the laws of physics are different - where the speed of light is different, or the universal density (or something similar) is less, allowing you to move faster for the same energy output, or the distance between the points in this dimension that conform to the origin and destination points in the other dimension is much less or whatever else that gets you there quicker.

Einstein and the external observer are looking in completely the wrong direction.

If there are other dimensions next to ours, then IMO, it's simply (simply, he says :D) a matter of producing a powerful enough signal at the appropriate frequencies to open a gap between ours and theirs (and back again of course ;)).

Is it possible? I don't know. IMO, Quantum Tunnelling may be the way to go, but equally, someone may pick a hole in Einstein tomorrow. Warp space entry seems like randomly trying frequencies and power levels until you see something happen.

6 months at closest Earth-Mars approach IIRC with current technology. Ion drives and other things are being looked at IIRC, which could speed it up considerably.

A manned Mars mission would need about 3 years (out and back), to coincide with consecutive closest approaches.

Nero
11-03-2009, 17:46
Humanity won't exist, for one thing. Think about this;

Humanity already has the ability to insert a tiny projector to the inside of your eye that can display information only you can see. Electronic eyes that feed a camera display directly to your optical nerve also exist. Attach that display wirelessly to a computer, and you could access wikipedia or google from anywhere. They're both essentially a store of knowledge - a communal memory.

What's the implications of that? Well, streamline the idea a little. The web doesn't have to be made of HTML pages, raw data will do. Then comes the efficiency and automation of the user interface - why manually add data with a keyboard when anything you learn could be automatically stored, and anything you needed to know could automatically be retrieved?

A personal memory isn't really needed anymore, and with that gone... well, what makes you an individual if not your memory? You become a gestalt entity, sharing all knowledge and thoughts with everyone else connected. We become the brain cells of a larger consciousness (Hive Fleet anyone?).

I used this as an example because it's beginning to exist today. Chances are, if you want to know something you automatically turn to google or wikipedia. It's just a matter of efficiency. The technology already exists.

This is the kinda stuff you'll see in the future.

What you won't see? Space Marines, for certain. We only think the Emperor is a genius because the background tells us he is. Space Marines are terribly, terribly designed.

It's like something an Ork Mad Dok would come up with. 'We'll make 'em dead big an' stompy, with lotsa hearts an' uvver orgunz cuz more is betta! They can spit acid to make 'em dead killy, an' eat brainz to get all da best krumpin' tekniques! Den we'll give 'em da biggest, stompiest armor der is, an' shoot dem in a big bullet from da Kill Kroozas at da waagh sos they make the most dakka when they land!'

Laser guided fanatic
11-03-2009, 18:00
3) Quantum tunnelling (jumps from one point to another, without passing through the intervening space - likely small distances per jump (say 100m), with the drive cycling rapidly (even 25 100m jumps/second would get something from Earth to Mars in about 4 months - has been achieved on the sub-atomic scale, was the FTL Drive in the RPG Traveller 2300AD). This could also be a way of getting teleportation to work.

The big fail clue is the word quantum.

omera
11-03-2009, 18:11
Personally, I wish I would be able to see an age of space colonization era in my lifetime (I'm 15). I don't see it happening for the next hundred years. Also, I'm sure that when we have that technology, we won't be fighting amongst ourselves. Mankind will be united (Edgar Cayce predicted that. He was a prophet who lived during the 1920s. I suggest reading up on him).
To those who don't believe the possibility of space colonization, we'd pretty much be screwed due to overpopulation if that were true.

Laser guided fanatic
11-03-2009, 18:21
Personally, I wish I would be able to see an age of space colonization era in my lifetime (I'm 15). I don't see it happening for the next hundred years. Also, I'm sure that when we have that technology, we won't be fighting amongst ourselves. Mankind will be united (Edgar Cayce predicted that. He was a prophet who lived during the 1920s. I suggest reading up on him).
To those who don't believe the possibility of space colonization, we'd pretty much be screwed due to overpopulation if that were true.

Overpopulation is starting to take effect now, and we're years away from 'colonisation'. Personally I regard 'colonisation' as a fairly utopian dream that will likley never have any serious effect on us.
The nearest star away is 4 light years, it doesn't support life.
Finding a life supporting system is very very hard (yeh i know they found 1 system which had 1 earth like planet on)
Who chooses who goes, i don't think anyone (apart from star trek fans) wants to be carted off to some distant planet and never see friends or family again.

On topic, 40k isn't really realistic I mean if it was realisitc one would think that there wouldn't be just war.

Hell's Angel
11-03-2009, 18:23
6 months at closest Earth-Mars approach IIRC with current technology. Ion drives and other things are being looked at IIRC, which could speed it up considerably.

A manned Mars mission would need about 3 years (out and back), to coincide with consecutive closest approaches.

Ion drives wouldnt be helpful for a short distance like earth to mars. Certainly the drive theoreticly could power a vehicle to a sub light speed, BUT it takes a loooong time to get going that fast when your using a giant flashlight as your engine... (gross simplification) Kinda the same problem as a solar sail. I think the larger issue than the drive is the fact that once you get going that fast a piece of dust will pass right through your craft, nevermind micro-meteors or the bigger stuff you cant avoid because your drag racing through space. Figure that out and theres the stuff out there you cant ever see (dark matter) Space may seem empty but its a friggen dumpster out there.

Overpopulation is starting to take effect now, and we're years away from 'colonisation'. Personally I regard 'colonisation' as a fairly utopian dream that will likley never have any serious effect on us.
The nearest star away is 4 light years, it doesn't support life.
Finding a life supporting system is very very hard (yeh i know they found 1 system which had 1 earth like planet on)
Who chooses who goes, i don't think anyone (apart from star trek fans) wants to be carted off to some distant planet and never see friends or family again.

On topic, 40k isn't really realistic I mean if it was realisitc one would think that there wouldn't be just war.

If people were serious the moon could have biospheres on it and colonized by the end of our lifetime. They know there is water up there. It really isnt an issue though (unfortunately) and of course you just know people would stick missiles up there pointing at you know who... lol A future without war? That sounds like science fiction!

Back on topic. Do I think that mankind will geneticly manipulate our genome to create a more perfect human being? You betcha! At first it will be to avoid any genetic abnormalities, you know a good thing. Then as people get used to that idea, consumerism will dictate that you should be able to tailer other characteristics in your children, etc... So yeah Gattica basicly, mixed with a little Star Trek (Eugenics war.) I'm not a conspiracy theorist at all, but if you think that the US/China Military are NOT using the technology to do this already you have far more faith in mankind than I do...

Marneus Calgar
11-03-2009, 18:38
Remember, Humans in 40k had their technological peak in the dark age of technology, much before the year 40,000. It is because of these events, such as technology taking over, that the Imperium uses its technology it does now and does not allow "development" in technology.

Johnnyfrej
11-03-2009, 19:06
40k is a game...
Why can't people just accept that and keep it seperate from reality?

Hell's Angel
11-03-2009, 19:07
40k is a game...

Hush, mom and dad are talking.

deloneninja
11-03-2009, 19:25

what he said ^
Seriously, i didnt make this thread to talk about 40k being realistic in ANY way. I made it so we can talk about what we think the future has in store for us and COMPARE that to the steroid-demon packed universe that is 40k. Which most of you guys have been doing. I am at work so I'll add some stuff to the conversation when i get home.

Laser guided fanatic
11-03-2009, 19:32
40k is a game...

QFT.

Anyway how can we tell what the future has in store for us.

deloneninja
11-03-2009, 19:41
QFT.

Anyway how can we tell what the future has in store for us.

You are not paying attention

We cant tell what the future has in store for us, which is why i wanted to have a discussion about what we THINK it is going to be like. Look at the technologies that are on the verge of science fiction that we are already developing. That sort of points humanity in a general direction, don't you think?
(i am not trying to say we are going to turn into 40k, in fact the only reason i put 40k in the topic is because we are in a 40k forum, any science fiction universe would work. Its sort of irrelevant to the discussion )

El_Machinae
12-03-2009, 00:15
Well, if we make it through the 21 century properly, we could all still be around for the 40th century. Though I don't think FTL is possible, so we'll be a lot closer to each other than 40k would suggest.

Hell's Angel
12-03-2009, 00:39
FTL is possible, they have detected particles that travel both faster than light, and backwards in time.

Johnnyfrej
12-03-2009, 00:41
:eyebrows:

You are not paying attention

We cant tell what the future has in store for us, which is why i wanted to have a discussion about what we THINK it is going to be like. Look at the technologies that are on the verge of science fiction that we are already developing. That sort of points humanity in a general direction, don't you think?
(i am not trying to say we are going to turn into 40k, in fact the only reason i put 40k in the topic is because we are in a 40k forum, any science fiction universe would work. Its sort of irrelevant to the discussion )
Well if you are going about it that way I want Robert Heinlein's militaristic future were veterans run everything, just like it should be. Also Pay-per-View public Executions would be nice.

deloneninja
12-03-2009, 02:00
:eyebrows:

Well if you are going about it that way I want Robert Heinlein's militaristic future were veterans run everything, just like it should be. Also Pay-per-View public Executions would be nice.

i was actually trying to have a serious discussion, but that works too.

Col. Tartleton
12-03-2009, 02:47
I don't know why we want to colonize other planets. All we need to do is improve our recycling and manufacturing abilities then start a new civilization fresh in some corner of the world that is both super efficient and in harmony with nature (clean hive cities) then slowly expand it and have our people move into the cities rather than living spread out destroying nature. The jungles will grow back quickly and the world will repair itself as time goes by. The cities can use electric transports powered by nuclear power and orchards and farms will feed our people under fluorescent lights. High speed mag-rails can connect the various hive cities and the different parts of the cities. Aquaponic farms will feed our population with fish and vegetables. Society won't change, but our civilization can. Nothing would regress, we'd still have parks and television, countries could still possess their land, but keep their population centers tied up in the hives. The world could begin to grow back, the animal populations would improve. Everything would be dandy.:D

souljaking09
12-03-2009, 02:52
as of now we would not colonize other planets, but if earth were to be destroyed somehow, we might explore those possibilities. as far as weapons go, did you know lasers are used to cut things in factories. Laserguns are not that unpractical. However a mirror would turn it back. that is why we decided not to use them for missile defense. I'm not sure about plasma. I watched a show the other on advanced technology. There was a tank that could steer through the water too! In other words a boat/tank. There was also an assault rifle(it was an HK) that was dunked in sand and water separately and it still worked perfectly. Amazing! of course these are highly expensive and arent anywhere close to being put into mass production, but the fact that they actually have that technology is amazing.

weissengel86
12-03-2009, 05:45
i was actually trying to have a serious discussion, but that works too. :confused: there was nothing silly about this in heinleins book. This was from Starship troopers (book not the movie) and it was no parody. I actually agree with it in certain aspects.

As for what do I expect the future to be. Well lets see I start with what I know best and my field, computers.

As of now we are working on a number of fundamentally new types of architecture and computation. The one most likely to happen first is Optical computing. Optical computers are similar to what we have now except you use light rather then electricity. You cant use transistors so you need an optical Logic Gate to achieve the same type of digital computation. This isnt so much a revolution as a huge evolution of computing technology. It will increase computing power a great deal once it is well developed though.

Next you have DNA or Chemical Computers. These would work very differently and would be the same in principle only. I really cant say where this will go but it would most likely be used for specialized equipment that needs computational power unlike what we have now. It would be used for possibly sensors or hybrid technology used in tandem with other things to make new functions or sensors.

And of course you have quantum computers. Quantum computers can actually solve problems that are not computable now. They would be so much smaller and more impressive then what we have now it is only speculation to imagine what the possibilities would be. Although the biggest likelihood is smart materials and nanotechnology.

The most likely technology that would make the biggest impact on society would be Networking technology and Integration with broader society. For one the Internet will grow more involved in everything we do. Our house will eventually contain computers built in and accessible anywhere we want it. There will be no more monitors just a picture on your wall or on your glasses or even beamed onto your eyes itself. One thing many people wont expect or dont know though is that the internet and networking does not spread out power or governance it makes total governmental and political centralization far easier. People are easily manipulated and they will be led like lambs to the slaughter to completely merge with networked society by simply getting the latest and coolest "phone" (cell phones will merge with laptops and PDAs) or the best house that lets them order any food or gadget they want by using inbuilt network access. They will vote and socialize electronically but they will be unaware that those who see and hold the reins will watch and manipulate them and if they do something they dont like it will be far easier to find and neutralize them.

If you think PC police are bad now just you wait. With all the introduction of marvelous technology that simultaneously increases quality of life and lack of control things will get better and worse at the same time. The rich will get richer and the poor poorer.

I predict massive conflict and upheaval in the future but i also predict rapid technological progress and possible diaspora once space travel reaches the common person.

As for space travel forget a lot of what you hear that is silly science fiction. Some have grains of truth but much are wrong or misleading. Traveling through "parallel" universe is implausible in the extreme and possibly literally impossible. The mention of folding space to travel faster is realistic though and that would be the most likely its called the Alcubierre drive and while nothing about it is impossible (As far as we know) nobody knows how to achieve something like it. Especially since it involves so called exotic matter with negative mass for example. Unfortunately exotic matter has yet to be found or shown to exist. If Einstein was incorrect that would be major nothing has yet to suggest he was wrong even creationists use Einstein's theories if that tells you anything. I doubt the likelyhood of quantum tunneling would be used for anything more then communication there is no reason to suggest that macro objects would have those properties or that we could survive it if we could do it anyways.

Power Armour is already being developed but they have a ways to go before it would be combat capable.

I think space travel will be more or less "commonplace" within most of our lifetimes (as long as you eat your veggies that is:p). The difference is it will only be within our solar sytem. And almost entirely between Mars the moon and earth the other planets will have manned missions and possibly outposts but they will be research only. I bet most of us will probably live long enough to go into space ourselves or even go to a colony or space station (i suggest you go to school though and get as educated as possible). We wont live long enough to be captains of rogue traders or crusade fleets though :p

jsullivanlaw
12-03-2009, 18:27
I know nothing about science but i've always heard that anything with the word quantum in it is fake hippie science.

Laser guided fanatic
12-03-2009, 18:36
I know nothing about science but i've always heard that anything with the word quantum in it is fake hippie science.

Fail.

First you spell hippy wrong, second you presume hippies have masters in quantum theory.

FeetOfClay
12-03-2009, 18:48
Technological development doesnt increase in a linear way. It peaks and troughs. For example, in the world of medicine we had to relearn stuff the Greeks and Romans took for granted after the Dark Ages.

Fair enough, but it does look like it will carry on as it is for a while yet, doesn't it?

Also, I really like reading these kinds of thing, I get so excited when Ithink about all these incredible new technologies just around the corner (kind of...), and I would love to be able to go into space, at least once before I die (luckily, I should have a good 5 or 6 decades left at least)

Johnnyfrej
12-03-2009, 19:19
The closest show about future technology I watch is Future Weapons with Richard "Mach."

Damn I wish the NLOS-C would be finished before 2014!

jefferson613
13-03-2009, 02:59
as of now we would not colonize other planets, but if earth were to be destroyed somehow, we might explore those possibilities. as far as weapons go, did you know lasers are used to cut things in factories. Laserguns are not that unpractical. However a mirror would turn it back. that is why we decided not to use them for missile defense. I'm not sure about plasma. I watched a show the other on advanced technology. There was a tank that could steer through the water too! In other words a boat/tank. There was also an assault rifle(it was an HK) that was dunked in sand and water separately and it still worked perfectly. Amazing! of course these are highly expensive and arent anywhere close to being put into mass production, but the fact that they actually have that technology is amazing.

AK-47 comes to mind...

LexxBomb
13-03-2009, 04:05
so does blackwaters Kriss

Laser guided fanatic
13-03-2009, 17:55

No SDI was cancelled because people didn't want weapons in space, a laser can easily cut through a mirror. If the earth was destroyed how exactly can we colonise other planets?

weissengel86
13-03-2009, 18:18
No SDI was cancelled because people didn't want weapons in space, a laser can easily cut through a mirror. If the earth was destroyed how exactly can we colonise other planets? Because the earth is unlikely to be destroyed before we have sufficient technology for widespread space travel. When the sun dies out and destroys all life and then the earth plummets into the sun we will have to colonize other planets and live elsewhere but nobody expects that for another 5 billion years.

straightsilver21
13-03-2009, 18:20
well, theyre are a couple of fields that are already growing by leaps and bounds that can be seen as '40k' like.

some notable ones i can think of right off the top of my head would be:

bionics/ prosthetic:
-they say there are something like 28 movements of the hand, and they've developed things that can replicate something like 20 of those movements in one unit, and the hand is the most complex appendage.
-second they are developing prosthetics that actually link up with the nervous system and are capable of actually feeling, and be controlled by the brain.

extended life:
-people live until they are what, 80 now, roughly on average. with the advances in medicine its not unbelievable they we can live to a average of 100 and so on.

cloning:
- we'll we've pretty much figured that one out, its a matter of ethics at this point.

tissue regrowth: president obama just overturned bushs legislation on stem cell research. and scientists have been able to grow independently of a host in labs fully functioning hearts.

plasma: well, it does exist in a sense, and recently they created a barrier of plasma (granted only like an inch wide) that was able to keep an environment or atmosphere or whatever in or out. Its a matter of research, time, money etc. before they figure out how to concentrate that or make it stronger before we can have things that resemble 'void shields' and the like.

mind/machine interface: the airforce is currently perfecting what is basically and mind to hardware connection. its a hood that interfaces the pilots mind with the fighter plane. The pilot is able to call upon information in fractions of a second, and think commands. in addition the pilot can also communicate via thinking with other pilots, or whoever.

dataslate/etc: a japanese computer company just developed a computer that is contained in a pane of plexi glass. the images or 'monitor' is also a pane of plexiglass. this could eventually be small portable and relatively cheap to make.

thats all i could come up with right now. were advancing technologically and scientifically at an astounding rate for sure. its scary. its not too far fetched to think we could some day be seeing things closely resembling 40k things. the biggest problem of course is space travel, we still suck at that.

El_Machinae
13-03-2009, 19:43
I think for us to leap into space will require some type of breakthrough technology, like a Space Elevator, or something. There's a lot of private investment in space tourism these days, and so we might see some innovations on that front.

The best way to get technological progress is to have an educated populace that invests in technological advancements. This (obviously) can be done at the personal, as well as governmental, levels. As well, increasing general educational levels has feed-forward effects that are pretty awesome.

Laser guided fanatic
13-03-2009, 19:49
Because the earth is unlikely to be destroyed before we have sufficient technology for widespread space travel. When the sun dies out and destroys all life and then the earth plummets into the sun we will have to colonize other planets and live elsewhere but nobody expects that for another 5 billion years.

I thought he meant the earth destroyed as by we destroyed as many people say that if we can avoid blowing ourselves up we will do all the things in listed.

Sheena Easton
13-03-2009, 20:04
FTL is possible, they have detected particles that travel both faster than light, and backwards in time.

They are particles, and technically we can already travel backwards in time just by moving west...

Laser guided fanatic
13-03-2009, 20:41
They are particles, and technically we can already travel backwards in time just by moving west...

That doesn't mean we will travel back in time. But you are right that attributes obsevered in the quantum will probably not be observered in the classical.

Frontier
13-03-2009, 20:53
Interesting discussion in this thread. I like thinking about where we are moving in the future. One thing I see is that we will become more "wired" than we are at present. The idea of a gestalt consciousness has some merit. As the barriers of time and distance have been torn down, we tend to become more alike. We probably will have one sort of unified "culture" some day as well.

As for mankind moving on from Earth; I really think that the issue will probably be forced on us from some sort of event. When the status quo is under threat of demise, watch how quick the reaction is to find a solution.

I also think that something will find us before we find it.