PDA

View Full Version : WoTR Harad army

Mouldsta
12-03-2009, 01:29
After having a good old shufty through the WoTR book and with some games under my belt, I thought it'd be about time to try writing my own army list (and not at all because I've been challenged to a 1500pts campaign/tournament/thing), so after a rummage, and a look at what would fit into my allies allocation (boo no dragon!), I've come up with the following;

Suladan, the serpent lord (epic hero) - leads the army, inspires some people, bashes enemy characters in duels (cheap ones) for free might.

The shadow lord (epic hero) - lovely magic, lowers courage so my monsters can have fun, protects camels from shooting.

4 Companies haradrim spear, chieftain, banner, taskmaster, hasharii - main combat block, lots of silly abilities

3 Companies haradrim bow - for shooting stuff

3 Companies Haradrim raiders, banner - out flankers to support the combat block

3 Companies Haradrim raiders - out flankers to support the combat block. Basically same as above

3 Companies Mahud Raiders, chieftain - main cav unit, and they're camels which is nice.

Mumak - for trumple-ing things. Maybe some shooting too.

Allies:

Mordor troll - for running at things

Mordor Troll Chieftain - for running AND shouting at things.
1500pts

Now this seems in my head to be a reasonably balanced 1500pt force, but I haven't had the chance to test it out, and similarly all the games I've seen/played have been "dump cool stuff on the board and go!", so I have no idea as to anyone else's thought's on a "sensible" army. Is one combat block going to be enough, even with cav/monster support?

Any thoughts would be cool, and similarly anyone else's suggestions would be welcome (currently this is mainly formed from just grouping together my existing models), and along those lines - what are you taking in your army?

Joewrightgm
12-03-2009, 02:04
I would suggest more infantry by dropping the trolls and going one of two routes:

1) add more infantry, in which case you could also purchase the Fate "Twisted Steeds" I think its called; a persistent effect that makes a cavalry unit +1 Strength. Add that to your camels and that's a whole lot of OUCH.

2) Add another mumak. Because what's better than one? Why, another naturally!

Dogui
12-03-2009, 02:19
After having a good old shufty through the WoTR book and with some games under my belt,

Sorry for the offtopic, but, where??? how???

I am very interested in the game, and read time and time again here on Warseer about people who know the rules, plays the game, and start building armies. I am thoroughly confused by this. Is the game out yet? Where can I get the rules? I am dying to play this thing.

Again, sorry for the OT.

Joewrightgm
12-03-2009, 02:51
Most local GW's have an open copy for customers to peruse.

Mouldsta
12-03-2009, 03:04
I would have another mumak, but I loathed building/painting the first one (hate painting big models, and the first mumak just wouldn't go together properly). Otherwise I agree completely about 2 being better than one :)

I'm thinking I probably should have some more infantry blocks, but trying to work out the optimum size of companies - might have to proxie test a formation of 9 companies...

blkdymnd
12-03-2009, 03:44
Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out some "magic numbers" for the different companies. I also would go another Mumak (actually I would go 3, but thats me). I take 3 Mumaks and then usually take no archers as the Mumaks are fairly good firing platforms and decent protection for an archer unit. I then stock up on Cav and some infantry blocks. Thats my style (also led by a wraith in the midst of 3 Morgul knight companies)

I like your list, I think it's solid enough and I like that you added trolls, so you'll have at least a few things with hitting power.

VeriNasti
12-03-2009, 08:51
You can't take the Mordor allies without a epic hero and a common formation - looked at the book the other day - sorry.
Easiest thing to do to fix this is to take Gothmog, one company of orcs and then the trolls - you are still under the 25% limit

jmcg1989
12-03-2009, 12:04
I would take more than 4 companies in a formation.
Since your haradrim cannot take shields then if any monster gets into combat with that then your troops will just dissolve. I've seen a single ent trample 8 - 10 formations of easterlings in two turns.

I personally find 6 to be a bare minimum with most core evil formations

Lardidar
12-03-2009, 16:36
You can't take the Mordor allies without a epic hero and a common formation - looked at the book the other day - sorry

What page is that on? ... I can't seem to find it.

Garoth
12-03-2009, 17:07
You can't take the Mordor allies without a epic hero and a common formation - looked at the book the other day - sorry.
Easiest thing to do to fix this is to take Gothmog, one company of orcs and then the trolls - you are still under the 25% limit

This is not true, both the rules and the example given in the book are quite clear on the matter.

Lardidar
12-03-2009, 17:26
This is not true, both the rules and the example given in the book are quite clear on the matter.

I was sure I had read that this was ok too .... which is why I asked for the page number of where he had read it.

The way I unserstood it is you needed a common for every rare but the common can come from your main list and the reare from an allied list.

Is that right?

Garoth
12-03-2009, 17:57
That is true.

You need one Common formation for every Rare formation, but you also cannot have more Rare companies than you have Common companies, so you cannot take two small Common formations and two large Rare formations.

Mouldsta
12-03-2009, 19:41
I would take more than 4 companies in a formation.
Since your haradrim cannot take shields then if any monster gets into combat with that then your troops will just dissolve. I've seen a single ent trample 8 - 10 formations of easterlings in two turns.

I personally find 6 to be a bare minimum with most core evil formations

Really? How did it manage that? An ent has 3-4 attacks and fight 7 ish (never remember good stats), so even if the ent charged and the evil failed their terror check, so at best the ent has about 12 attacks. Over 2 turns, even if all these attacks wound it would still only just kill 3 companies (I assume you mean killed 8-10 companies, not formations!)

Don't see how an ent could kill 8-10 companies/formations in 2 turns.

Joewrightgm
12-03-2009, 21:17
Easy; roll a 1 for your morale, then absolutely blow the leadership.

Mouldsta
12-03-2009, 21:25
Even then, even if for some reason you were reduced to courage 0 and rolled a double 1 for the test for BOTH turns, you'd only lose another 16 models (2 companies)

Even if the 8 companies were 2 formation of 4 companies, the ent couldn't kill over half the unit in one turn to be able to force them to be removed from the table (as they'd be over half strength, and therefore only suffer a few extra casualties)

vodrake
12-03-2009, 21:57
I was very much under the impression you need 1 common for each rare, doesnt matter how many companies are in it but the common can come from your allies. Could be wrong about that as i didnt read it that in depth, but this was the impression i came away with.

VeriNasti
13-03-2009, 00:12
Is the army then just 25%?mI am a little confused now, must check the book again...

Mouldsta
13-03-2009, 00:37
You can't have more rare formations than you have common, regardless of where they come from
You can't have more rare companies than you have common companies, regardless of where they come from

Up to 25% of your points can be spent on allies - these could be all rare if you have enough common formations to do it.

In my army above for example, there's 4 common formations (spears, bows 2x light horse) and 4 rare (camels, mumak, 2 trolls). There's then 13 common companies, and 6 rare companies. Of the 375pts I could spend on allies, I've spent 300.

VeriNasti
13-03-2009, 00:46
Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up