PDA

View Full Version : Why is your army the most fun?

vinny t
12-03-2009, 01:38
This is it, the thread that forces us to examine our army choices and ask ourselves "why did I go with that army?" This can be anything from fluff to playstyle, so let your mind run amok. Note: this is not to argue about whose army is better, but to simply state the reasons. Let's not have a flame war. :) Thanks :).I'll start.

WoC are the best because they eat your souls and have great models. They have many ways to get into combat, and when they do, you'll be sorry.

Lord Malorne
12-03-2009, 01:42
Vampire Counts, just how many zombies can I raise by games end...lets find out...

:D

GaretJax
12-03-2009, 01:48
Dwarfs - Watching someones face when you tell them that everything in the army is T4, WS4, and Ld9 is priceless.
Also dropping/shooting flaming rocks/bolts/cannonballs on treeman just
seems funny.

Skaven - The sheer fact that I can judge how well I am doing by how many of my own models Ive killed. Nothing is better than splitting the dead models into piles of 'enemy-killed' and 'self-killed' to make an opponent feel bad.
Plus having the chance to panic your entire line because you thought 'my
shooting/magic will hurt him more than it will me'. Sheer greatness.

Vestigialante
12-03-2009, 01:55
Night Gobbos - The shear amount of chaos that can be let loose on the board at any one time is just nuts. Fanatics are flying everywhere, units are running, squigs bouncing, pump wagons zooming, netters netting whatever's handy. Whoever wins, the game is just hilarious.

Daemons - I can have an absolutely fluffy list, and know that it will still be competitive to some degree. 4 different heralds on foot? Daemon prince? Subpar by contrast to things like the bloodthirster, but still effective. Good for the hobbyist that builds what they like, but would still like to go to a tourney to show it all off.

Ultimate Life Form
12-03-2009, 01:55
It took a long time for me to be convinced to get into this (7 years, to be exact), and even when I decided to give it a try, I wasn´t sure if I would like the game. I only knew of Orcs & Goblins and Tomb Kings back then, cuz my bud is playing them. Then we went to a store, and he presented me all the army books. The only one I found interesting from the beginning was Lizardmen, because I have a soft spot for reptiles of any kind. I even had a chameleon back then. I decided to buy the Army Book and read it thoroughly before doing anything else. Eventually, the Lizzies won me over. Why? The style. Just look at them. They´re adorable. They combine every possible trait in one package. They´re omniscient (Slann) and stupid (Krox). They´re big and small. They´re strong and weak. They are fast and slow. They´re calm and ferocious. They have an ancient culture yet are savage. They have high-tech equipment yet are prehistoric. They´re the good guys (when fighting Chaos) and the bad guys (when they kill you because the Slann decided you built your house on the wrong side of a river). They offer you anything you could possibly want. Plus, the models are... *deep, echoing voice* amazing...

Oh, and on a sidenote, I also play VC just because I love vampire movies, zombies, and undead in general. That´s all about it.

slingersam
12-03-2009, 01:58
Someone picked High elves before me so I went Lizardmen.
(In our area we are just starting to get into warhammer)

WhiteKnight
12-03-2009, 01:59
Beastmen because when you bust out khorngors with a shaggoth khorne lord, bsb, and wargor, you unleash lots of S6-7 attacks and your opponents cry in pain!

Orcs are the most fun because they're unpredictable! All night gobbo armies are amazing because with all of those fanatics running on the board, your opponent will be like WTF?

Kronos
12-03-2009, 02:08
i don't have an army at such but almost anything related to nurgle always takes my heart.

The idea of a omniscient being showing affection by giving his fllowers gifts in the forms of boils plagues etc is an amazing concept.

Also after reading liber chaotica, the description of the birth of GUO's was very well written, being born from the boils of nurgle himself and feeding off his oozing sores like plagued children. It's the whole greater parent theme that really attarcts me. and every creatures that will die has connection with nurgle for they too will decay.

He's unlike the other chaos gods, (less spiky :) whwhere the other wish to tiwst, destroy or perverse natural order, Nurgle simply wishes to bring decayand plague, to me he seems to be less evil than the others, he's more like naive child yet caring for those who follow him.

In addition the description of beasts of Nurgle being overly excited daemon dogs is great, where like him they do not truly intend to harm other out of free will, but only because it is in their nature to do so(the plague, slime and other nasties).

Pulsks
12-03-2009, 02:16
Well, I was torn between Lizard men and Ogres. So I flipped a coin and ogres came up.

An hour before I went to go buy my battallion, I saw some wood elf dryads, and fell in love. Now I'm woodies all the way. :P

jason
12-03-2009, 02:18
I will agree with Kronos that Nurgle is amazing in that Papa is a cross between Santa Claus and Typhoid Mary.

Stuffburger
12-03-2009, 04:22
O&G is best because I have 9 Lord options, 9 Hero Options, 8 (10 if you count big'uns) Core choices, 9 Special choices (10 if you count ruglud's, and 12 if you count big'uns), 4 rare choices, a wide array of ways to arm about half the choices. You could play a hundred games and bring a hundred very different lists each time- the variety is endless. You can build a gunline, horde, elite infantry (kind of), goblin mob, all mounted, chariot horde, fanatic heavy, MSU, giant blocks... none of it works all that well but it's so much fun who cares :D

Draconian77
12-03-2009, 04:38
Well I always thought that the Druchii mirrored me greatly(Morally "obscure" and tragically flawed...) but honestly I love their playstyle.

With an army of T3 armour-less mortals it's a case of how quickly can I cut the enemies heart right out from under them.
Surprisingly swiftly it seems, much to my satisfaction.

I guess the models being as good as they are helps too, when it comes to Dark Elves I think GW have it nailed imagery wise.

Maybe being a Tolkien fan had something to do with it, I always liked the notion of Elves, but who would want to play with the "We can't lose because we are the good guys..." High Elves? Or the "You didn't talk to us for a while so we went crazy and began talking to the trees..." Woodsies?

Not I! Viva la Druchii!

Lord Anathir
12-03-2009, 04:49
We are the Sons of Ulthuan, Lords of The Seas, The Dragontamers and Masters of Magic.

We are the soldiers of the Light, bastion against darkness, standard bearers against the forces of chaos and creators of the vortex that saved the world many an age ago.

In our hearts lies the courage of Anaerion of Old and in our arms the strength of his mighty dragon.

We are the Asur,
The Children of Isha,
The True Elves.

Ulthuan will never fall.

Draconian77
12-03-2009, 04:59
We are the; "We can't lose because we are the good guys..." High Elves?

Fixed it for you.

Get off our island...

:D

fishound7
12-03-2009, 05:05
I like playing dwarves for thier resilience in combat. My normal dwarf unit has stood up to chaos knights that were frenzied. I like the idea of a shield wall and how hard it is to kill normal warriors.

I want to play O&G for the challenge and I love the fluff between dwarves and orcs. But i told myself I won't start playing again until i have a fully painted army. Painting 100 dwarves is easier then painting 300 or 200 orcs imo.

souljaking09
12-03-2009, 05:29
guard operate like real soldiers. that's why I like them. there are so many options. i can use any type of guard to make tactical advisers for my command squad. guard allows us to use ogryns for close combat, ratlings for long range, regulars for mid range, heavy weapons and armor for heavy support. so many options. And they are real humans which is relatable.

Ward.
12-03-2009, 05:49
I picked skaven for a variety of reasons:

-I couldn't make a feasible rat deck in MTG, ink eyes was too expensive mana wise.
-I wanted elements of steam punk.
-A friend had already picked up vampire counts.
-Metal deamonettes were too expensive.
-They were similar to 40k orks, which is reason enough to consider them the coolest fantasy army.

squeekenator
12-03-2009, 06:00
They're Skaven. 'Nuff said.

Yautja
12-03-2009, 06:06
Lizardmen: Dinosaurs with weapons.

Dwarfs: Short angry drunks, who hate elves as much as I do.

Axis
12-03-2009, 06:09
They're Skaven. 'Nuff said.

Couldn't be more true!

mr.kislev
12-03-2009, 06:11
well i choose kislev as an army becuase i lik the idea of it being the first defence againsts chaos and that they are the winter themed army

Godfiend
12-03-2009, 06:57
Warriors of Chaos are the best because they sacrifice their own humanity for the pursuit of glory in the name of the darkest and most despicable parts of the human mind. They don't wage war for "good" or "evil", but for the sake of war itself.

Can't get more kvlt than that.

mistrmoon
12-03-2009, 07:00
Chaos dwarves HATS FTW!

Draconian77
12-03-2009, 07:01
Warriors of Chaos are the best because they sacrifice their own humanity for the pursuit of glory in the name of the darkest and most despicable parts of the human mind. They don't wage war for "good" or "evil", but for the sake of war itself.

Surely thats Orcs?

I'm pretty sure Chaos Warriors know that/appreciate that they are evil...they just don't really care because they are not-so-coincidentally powerful.

Although evil is subjective...maybe they are good? :eek:

Charistoph
12-03-2009, 07:08
-They were similar to 40k orks, which is reason enough to consider them the coolest fantasy army.

I always considered them more like Tyrannids (or vice versa). Hordes of genetically engineered weapons designed to maim and kill. Orks are Orcs, no matter where they end up, the only difference is the toys.

I'm doing Tau because I love anime, I love shoot and scoot, and they seem so Clone Armyish. For Fantasy, I still haven't decided and have to wait till the Tau quit raiding my treasury be for I can seriously start.

Kornath
12-03-2009, 08:20
Surely thats Orcs?

I'm pretty sure Chaos Warriors know that/appreciate that they are evil...they just don't really care because they are not-so-coincidentally powerful.

Chaos doesn't consider themselves evil, but good or atleast they consider themselves as holy harbingers of their gods! In every religion, you consider yourself more holy than the next religion so marauders and everything above them is considering themselves holy.

*points at the empire* -You- are the heretics and yes -you- will burn.

Laughingmonk
12-03-2009, 09:36
I'm surprised no one has stated empire.

Horde? Check.

All Cavalry? Check.

Gunline? Check.

Magic Heavy? Check.

Infamous war machines? Check.

Unruly mobs? Check.

We got everything. Empire allows virtually unlimited expansion into almost any direction, and we can viable at almost any point value. We are not broken. We have no army wide ASF, fear, unbreakable, cold blooded, ward saves, hatred, or any other nonsense. While other armies brag about fielding a whole army ws4/5 T4 troops, an empire player will take pride in fighting you with lowly humans and the humble detachment rule.

Oh yeah, and we also have the almighty Speculum. :skull:

Godfiend
12-03-2009, 09:47
Surely thats Orcs?

As Kornath said, I think Chaos doesn't consider itself evil. The lust for battle is different from an Okry outlook, though, as Orcses fight for the fun of it, to prove how strong they are, and to gain power to lead their own WAAAGH. Chaos fights for the glory of their gods and to slate their thirst for the blood of the weaker people that plague the world - it's a dark outlook for the followers of the Dark Gods, but one that they see as the most realistic outlook.

snurl
12-03-2009, 09:53
Slayers. Because it is fun to rout your opponent with a few fat guys in their underwear.

selone
12-03-2009, 11:52
Mine aren't the most fun! really good community though :)

zak
12-03-2009, 13:40
I started Orcs because of the sheer amount of choice that was open to me. They can be built in a variety of ways and you almost never finish an Orc and Gobbo horde as there is always something else to add. I just loved there 'I don't care what happens' outlook on life and battle, which for an Orc is possibly the same thing.

W0lf
12-03-2009, 13:42
I picked Hordes of Chaos as my first fantasy army because;

- Chaos warriors look cool
- Hard combat heros are my kinda thing. Ever since playing hordes as my first army other heros look weak
- Love the God Tzeentch
- Love magic phase
- Cool background
- Tz warrior wizards were really inspiring
- Chaos knights are cool, sick models (old ones).
- Challenging to play
- Had beasts as a practically second army opening all kinds of new strats.
- Read riders of the dead and that inspired me.
- Seen as a weak/balanced army

Oh and why i hate warriors should be pretty obvious now?

Nearly everything on that list is null now. :cries:

Draconian77
12-03-2009, 15:51
Chaos doesn't consider themselves evil, but good or atleast they consider themselves as holy harbingers of their gods! In every religion, you consider yourself more holy than the next religion so marauders and everything above them is considering themselves holy.

*points at the empire* -You- are the heretics and yes -you- will burn.

After flicking through a few pages of fluff from the army book and a few novels I am going to have to disagree. Not with the religious indignation remark, but with their outlook.

I'm pretty sure that they know that they are ~not good~ but I think a thirst for power or their shattered faith in humanity is enough of an incentive to push them down along the path of Chaos, and once your on that path your ain't getting off.

Lord Malorne
12-03-2009, 15:54
It not about being good, its about being the strongest.

(norscans)

Malarowski
12-03-2009, 16:25
My army, the Tomb Kings, are the best, because of the enormous diversity they offer. You can make many different (more or less) viable lists with different play styles. Furthermore they just play different than any other army and allow for a lot of strategic finesse.

garythewargamer
12-03-2009, 16:28
Bretonnias because fantasy does not allow you to take real tanks.

HE because of the way they look, dragons, magic, swordmasters, RBTs, lion chariots, dragon princes and on and on.

HE can be very shooty
HE can be very magic involved.
HE can be very moving and fast moving.
HE can survive and win close combat.

The thing they can not do is dominate all four of the above listed of play. So much for stating the obvious.

This gives you several ways to play to your playing style or favorite one.
My daughter likes Teclis, a dragon mage, lion chariots, war eagles and RBTs.
I like a white lion themed army which can be deadly in close combat, defensive magic, above or average shooting but really has no cav. I get that with the Bretonnias.

Foegnasher
12-03-2009, 16:33
Skaven.

the horde of hundreds of rats, advanceing on the enemy, the sheer magnitude of the assault as they are winnowed down through enemy fire, but still keep comeing, when the charge hits home, it's not in the face like your opponent was guessing, but from some other angle.

watching the skaven dismantle someones badass legion is the best thing in warhammer.

pkain762
12-03-2009, 16:34
empire- there has been several times that a terror causing monster flies into my lines and my entire army goes running off of the table.... ******* hilarious

kain

Ubermensch Commander
12-03-2009, 17:02
Dwarves- I absolutely love their storyline and attitude. Plus, really awesome looking infantry. Shieldwall! mwahahaha. Oh and cannons. BOOM! Mwhahaha BOOM!hahahahah BOOMhahahaha. Granted I have not played a game in quite some time...an edition or two at this point, barring one or two random games, but i did use to so love sniping mages with cannonballs.

But again, its the story and attitude behind the Dwarves that I love.

Keller
12-03-2009, 17:04
Empire:
- Because I like the flexibility of an army that can do most things in the system. No real fliers, though.
- I like less-than-stellar soldiers standing up against the big badies of the world.
- I like having to use tactics and planning to win combats, not sheer attacks and strength.

VC:
- I love zombies!
- I wanted to be able to play with monsterous-characters and magic from time to time.

N810
12-03-2009, 17:14
The only one I found interesting from the beginning was Lizardmen, .... Why? The style. Just look at them. They´re adorable. They combine every possible trait in one package. They´re omniscient (Slann) and stupid (Krox). They´re big and small. They´re strong and weak. They are fast and slow. They´re calm and ferocious. They have an ancient culture yet are savage. They have high-tech equipment yet are prehistoric. They´re the good guys (when fighting Chaos) and the bad guys (when they kill you because the Slann decided you built your house on the wrong side of a river). They offer you anything you could possibly want. Plus, the models are... *deep, echoing voice* amazing...

Yea Ultimate Life Form sums up my reasons quite well. :D

Also I like that there are so many different and viable ways you can put together a Lizardmen army.

Voodoo Boyz
12-03-2009, 17:42
Dark Elves.

I have an army that lets me run a Dragon, a Manticore, 2 Hydras, and guys on dinosaurs in the same army. It makes for an exceptionally pretty army.

BenTheRat
12-03-2009, 17:52
I have Skaven: Love 'em
Vampire Counts: Fun
Beasts of Chaos: Very fun

But my all mounted Warriors of Chaos list has got to be the most fun I have ever played with. Because:
1. Very fast. Movement is a huge part of the game for this army.
2. Shooting: 5-7 units of marauder horsemen with throwing axes is a fun little shooting phase, with lots of str 4 shots.
3. Magic: I have some magic in there and getting off Gateway, or using the puppet on some other wizard lord is just too precious.
4. Combat: With knights, you have some hitty as well.

So it covers every phase of the game, is not horribly reliable with its max Ld of 8. It is horribly unforgiving. And my opponents seem to have a great time playing against it.

Harwammer
12-03-2009, 18:36
Beasts of Chaos;

They have the brains of a farmyard animal and the brawn of a man; Consequently they are unorganised and feeble. They are further limited through their lack of equipment; They lack ranged weapons, they lack armour.

Basically they are the warhammer army that is so psychopathically insane it brings a knife to a gunfight and that just makes any victory you have so much sweeter.

OldMaster
12-03-2009, 18:37
Because my Core Unit Champion can have more attacks than your Lord. =)

SneakyChris
12-03-2009, 18:46
OK- Because I was in need of an army i could paint quickly and the cost. The Battalion gives you almost 1000pts.

The Red Scourge
12-03-2009, 23:46
WoC, cause Archaon is one of the best models around. The army used to be cool, because it had some awesome character choices, but now I find them rather bland. Also my all mortal horde has lost its uniqueness with the split of HoC.

WE, cause I wanted to expand my mortals with beasts, but then the army was divided – and I really didn't believe in those T3 no armor elves (boy did I prove myself wrong). The army is one of the most nerve wracking to play, as you can't rely on anything but movement to win you the game, which also means that everything rest on you, not dices or super combos.

VC, cause the silent unrelenting horde of bones shambling forth was hard to resist, and I wanted to try an army based on ranked infantry. They really look great, all character choices have their own appeal, and it has a great balance of weak snd strong points.

One day I'll probably try out the skaven, but I've got enough left over elves and undead to paint to last me a few months :)

O&G'sRule
12-03-2009, 23:49
Orcs and Goblins are the most fun, for both sides. totally unpredictable and full of character. You can call them a weak list if you like, but no one can deny they are a laugh

Desert Rain
13-03-2009, 15:57
Lizardmen
When I started playing they were the only army that I knew existed that wasn't being played by one of my friends. I had no idea on how they played or what they looked like. Forutneately they turned out to look cool and being played in a funny way.
Also dinosaurs FTW!

High Elves
Ever since I first read their army book (6th ed) I have liked them. They are diciplined, elite, you can have both light heavy and ver heavy cavalry, good shooting and magic and so on. They just have everything that I like and they are really funny to play with.
And by the way, Elves FTW!

Kamenwati
13-03-2009, 19:49
Tomb Kings.

I love them for their cold, calculating and methodical playstyle. Being able to count on each of my troops to do what they are suppoesed to is a real boon. Plus I love not having to worry about the magic phase blowing up in my face!

What's that Dark Elves? I miscast on any doubles? Sorry BUT WRONG:D!

And chariots, lovely, wonderful units of them zooming around everywhere running the unworthy (namely everyone ;) ) underneath their wheels. We can't forget the ever loyal and useful Tomb Scorpion, the cruise missile of the Tomb Kings.

Tyranno1
13-03-2009, 19:56
Giant dinosaurs, its all I need to say.

Lost Advocate
14-03-2009, 16:25
O&G because im way to mellow to be a power gamer, so the randomness and tongue in cheek humour of these green chappies suits me.

Also when i read the full story of grimgore ironhide i knew i had to go with orcs because how it was such an awsome story with a serious note, at the same time made me chuckle and think "Oh Grimgore...you crazy" :D

Awilla the Hun
14-03-2009, 23:31
Communist Bretonnians. Because I can order them to do things in a thick USSR (meaning Russian with Communist Slogans) accent. And watch them charge in a great human wave, and then die horribly. And occasionally even beat the stuffing out of the counter revolutionaries!

The Farmer
15-03-2009, 13:26
Empire.

Who can say no to big blocks of colourful infantry, puffy sleaves and gigantic cod pieces?

Raverrn
15-03-2009, 22:53
Warriors of Chaos, because to the rest of the world they're just freaks. But Chaos sees their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. When the chips are down, these... these civilized people, they'll eat each other. See, WoC aren't monsters. They're just ahead of the curve.

Also because for pure, undiluted killing power, nothing in the game can come close to a Chaos Lord.

There's something to be said for being the best.

CaliforniaGamer
15-03-2009, 23:14
Beasts of Chaos;

They have the brains of a farmyard animal and the brawn of a man; Consequently they are unorganised and feeble. They are further limited through their lack of equipment; They lack ranged weapons, they lack armour.

Basically they are the warhammer army that is so psychopathically insane it brings a knife to a gunfight and that just makes any victory you have so much sweeter.

would also back up that the Beasts of Chaos can be the most unfun army simply due to lack of viable options. A new books is sorely needed.