PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen defend list 2000pts

a squig
12-03-2009, 11:15
Iam New to the world of fantasy so this is my 1st attempt at a more general list that what ive run before for fun games.

i like big stomppy critters i ran the 5 stegadon list twice but i decided thats a bit unbalanced after 2 crushing wins agaisnt long time pro-vets, (the dice gods were smiling on me). :)

This was not a very freindly play oriented list, and so wish to change it for a more jack of all trades role, rather than a broken army which people will get quickly board of.

What i was thinking because alot of local player either use elves or chaos was a hybrid 2000pts stompy list. I genraly play in a quite defensive style rather than running across the board at the moment.

3 x EOTG lv 2 Skink preists 1170
48 x ranked Skinks with 6 Kroxigors

total = 1740

i prefere EOTG's to slann's but 3 may be condered broken, iam not sure what to spend the remaining 260 points on, i was thinking

1 normal Steggadon ( but thats getting to close to my old list)
3 Razdons or Salamanders (for bunny and shooty goodness)
37 Skink skrimishers (yeah i do love using Skinks)

or posssibly terradons but iam not sure, any help will be much appreciated :)

Edit: Wooo my 100th post :)

Spirit
12-03-2009, 14:15
terraodns would be a good addition to the army, it will slow the enemy down through marchblocking.

Edit: Is that one unit of skinks? because that sounds really really rubbish.

Wolf 11x
12-03-2009, 14:22
I can't fathom winning with mere skinks and a bunch of EotG. I think 3 EotG isn't even very efficient except for getting 3d6 laser beam hits. I also don't see how your opponents can't deal with multiple Stegadons. They aren't that good. It must have been due to ridiculous impact hit rolls.

Why wouldn't you want to field some of the best core troopers in the game? I imagine you'll get mauled by anyone with decent Skirmishers of their own and some combat troops. That or your opponents will think you're the most annoying army they have ever faced, even in 7th now that Skirmishers get march blocked.

If you do field a list like this you better watch out for Wood Elves in particular.

a squig
12-03-2009, 14:36
Sorry if i didn't explain properly, they are 3 units of 16 skinks and 2 krox in each.

the last few games have been against heavy armored chaos knights and with d6 str 4 no armour save wounds with 3 EOTG's next to each other. Most knights fall over and the spell slinging preist on the back are a bonus as well. Also i have been VERY VERY lucky in past few games in my dice rolls.

The old list had bunches of skinks skrimishers instead of the skink/krox combi, to get in the way and pump ton's of shots into the oncomming armies.

yeah with the spare points i could add in 8 terradons

That one of points i dont want an army that realy annoyes people so they will not play, if iam going to be buying this army i dont realy want to leave it on the shelf due to no players.

people in my local group allways underestimate skinks shooting :)

Wolf 11x
12-03-2009, 15:29
I see. My brain registered that as Skirmishers and 2 units of 3 Krox. I missed the "ranked" part.

the last few games have been against heavy armored chaos knights and with d6 str 4 no armour save wounds with 3 EOTG's next to each other.

Ahaha. Give them what they deserve. :D

If you like the style, then by all means keep at it. I think you should break up the units and field some Skinks with Krox and some as Skink Skirmishers. Blowpipes are full of win. I also think 8 Terradons (2x4) would help you a lot.

Does not being able to turn your units hurt you? I love Saurus (I own 40 6th ed. models and 20 5th ed.) so I've never even tried Skink blocks with Kroxigor.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
12-03-2009, 16:43
terraodns would be a good addition to the army, it will slow the enemy down through marchblocking.

Edit: Is that one unit of skinks? because that sounds really really rubbish.

I have to agree one smoke in the flank or a charge from some dragon princes and a battle banner and .....peace... Skinks are squishy. Kroxigores are beastly but bereft of ranks this unit will peace. Hit in the front with banner of the lady and any ranked unit of brettonians knights would have a field day... They dont die.
Good luck

Pitalla Crimson
12-03-2009, 16:47
how about some saurus warriors with spears?
youll be havnig 4 attacksinstead of 3 now.

a squig
12-03-2009, 17:18
yeah its allways a warm feeling when Archon mates all fall around him then he proceeds to beats him self 2 death over 3 rounds of combat. :)

the tactic i found works so far is sit in a corner for two rounds then as they get close full steam ahead and pound throught the middle of them. Its not the most manovable but they seem fine against most things, maybe elves will cause a few problems though.

I also have lots and lots of sarus but the low initative allways seem too low and normaly the 1st ranks dead befire you can fight back. also i lost faith in them when 1 unit of chaos knights rode straight through 2 units of them :(

how good are terradons in game play ive not used them my self but watch another game with them in and they seemed good but no 1st hand experance.

Spirit
12-03-2009, 19:13
I also have lots and lots of sarus but the low initative allways seem too low and normaly the 1st ranks dead befire you can fight back. also i lost faith in them when 1 unit of chaos knights rode straight through 2 units of them :(

Thats what 1 point spears are for.

a squig
13-03-2009, 08:54
i came up with a vastley overhalled list last night

1 slann 3 disaplines (terror, spell list, immune to no magical weapons)
2 EOTG
40 skink skrimshers
18 temple guard full command
8 terradons

12 PD 10 DD

would this be better more all round balanced list than the previous one
yeah i must amit ive not used spears on my saurs yet i will give that a go some time.

Thoughtless
13-03-2009, 16:13
Thats what 1 point spears are for.

I agree! Not having to pay 2 points for spears is great.

What about 2 EotG and a then a unit of CoCavalry? Plop a Scarbet in there and you have a solid Hammer unit.

swarmofseals
13-03-2009, 22:22
i came up with a vastley overhalled list last night

1 slann 3 disaplines (terror, spell list, immune to no magical weapons)
18 temple guard full command

I could be totally wrong about this but isn't the immunity to non-magical weapons discipline kinda wasted? With 18 TGs protecting him it's not terribly likely that your Slann is going to be getting attacked.

Spirit
13-03-2009, 23:22
Your discaplines for the slann are rubbish, the unit is immune to psychology so needs no protecting from terror, terror itself is likely to have no benefit for you and immunity to magic weapons is only good if you let him get attacked, which shouldn't happen with that many skink skirmishers.

Take +1 dice to cast a spell,

Enemy loses 6's on one mage,

Choose a lore (not essential)

skinks: take at least 10 of those skinks with javelins. They are much better at shooting skirmishers/characters/units in cover. Having one unit placed correctly will help a lot.

a squig
06-04-2009, 22:57
a very magic heavy lizardman variation on the above lists

Slann mage priest 4 disciplines (focus mystery,rocused rumination,transcendent healing, higher state of concusioness) divine plaque of protection, wardrums, diadem of power,

3 lv2 skink preist

3 stegadons

50 skinks

2 razadons + skinks

2000 on the dot what do u reckon any c&C welcome

Spirit
06-04-2009, 23:38
I think you need to focus less on maximizing one unit type.

First it was skinks + krox, then it was skirmishers, not your using 3 stegadons and 4 characters.

I run a 2000 point list with one EOTG and one slann, this is MORe than enough magic, heavens magic is ok, but multiple wizards with it tend to do very badly. The slann + EOTG is effectivly 12 power dice and a brilliant shooting attack, this is more than enough.

for the above list, drop one stegadon and 20 skinks, then focus on getting some more lizards on the board.

As for your slann, war drums will do very little, you already have 2x 4+ ward saves, you dont need to waste 30 points making one of them a 2+, the diadem of power is a complete waste if you want to go magic heavy (put it on a skink if you want, but not your level 4 mage) and he needs a battle standard! Stegadons wont pass ld6 stubborn every time, get those re rolls!

a squig
07-04-2009, 09:25
thanks for all the help spirit, :)

Its probbaly just me but i dislike saurus due to the low initative they nearly allways lose on combat res to almost everything ive come across. Due to dead front rank which nearly allways dies straight away, even with spears. The only advantage of sarus is to slow people down for a turn or two i surpose iam just not a sarus fan.

i think special choice stegadons are great for there points cost. i can see the need for hard hitting defenders rather than those skitish skinks. One option is to drop one stegadon and 20 skinks and take either 8 cold ones or a unit of temple guard. the way that i run this army is to sit back for a few turns while they close the distance then as they get close i countercharge. I think that i will share out the magic items rather than being on all on the slann.