PDA

View Full Version : Feel the wrath of Mordor!! (wotr)

vodrake
12-03-2009, 13:34
Thought I would give a post of my army and ask what people think.

1500 points

Sauron - 500
The Nine Abroad - 500
Morannon Orcs x6, shields, full command - 250
Morannon Orcs x6, shields - 150
Siege Bow x2 - 100

I just wanted to use sauron and the ring wraiths really, always wanted to use them in the normal game but it just wasn't possible unless it was a shockingly big game. But now i can!! w00t!

So what do people think?

Joewrightgm
12-03-2009, 15:39
I would say increase the points of the army to three thousand, and bulk up your infantry and you'd be looking good. At 1,500pts though powerful, you'll be surrounded and destroyed fairly efficiently.

The hard lesson I've learned thus far in the game is that large units do not mean they are great; in fact they can get fairly unwieldy after about 5 companies strong. I'd reduce each regiment to 4 and create another one with the companies you shaved off, making you more flexible.

Also, I think the points for your unit of morannons with full command is off; the captain is 50, banner is 35, drummer 15, taskmaster 25, and a shaman is 100.

blkdymnd
12-03-2009, 15:45
I would say increase the points of the army to three thousand, and bulk up your infantry and you'd be looking good. At 1,500pts though powerful, you'll be surrounded and destroyed fairly efficiently.

The hard lesson I've learned thus far in the game is that large units do not mean they are great; in fact they can get fairly unwieldy after about 5 companies strong. I'd reduce each regiment to 4 and create another one with the companies you shaved off, making you more flexible.

Also, I think the points for your unit of morannons with full command is off; the captain is 50, banner is 35, drummer 15, taskmaster 25, and a shaman is 100.

I'm thinking his full command is captain, banner, and drummer which would make that unit the 250 marked.

Joewrightgm
12-03-2009, 17:33
Yup, my bad. But the rest of my suggestions stand.

Marauder
12-03-2009, 18:00
That army might be fun to hack around with and have some fun with Sauron, but it is way too short on troops.

vodrake
12-03-2009, 19:59
ah yeah, sorry about that just banner/captain/drummer.

Seems like a good idea to split the units up though.

Firstcast
13-03-2009, 02:10
your army is lacking troops, even with sauron and the 9 are abroad, like someone else said, you will be heavily out numbered.

I played a few games at 2k points now, which i used:
sauron
the mouth of sauron
3 formation of orcs each with 4 companies in
1 formation of castallans with 3 companies in
1 mordor troll chieftan
3 mordor trolls
2 formations of orc archers with 2 companies in each

and i still find myself out numbered, in my experience, even though models like sauron are hard, they can still be taken down very easily, if you get him caught up in archer fire, or a unit with aragorn/boromir, with anduril or boromirs mighty blow, he will go down. Sauron is very strong at casting magic, he can be very deadly if used correctly but taking him and the 9 is just a massive waste in points.
Cavalry are a very strong unit to take, a strong unit with an unstoppable charge can wipe out infantry in 1 charge, stick a captain in the unit for the might points for heroic charges and your laughing. so for your list i would recommend dropping the 9, getting yourself some hard hitters, castallans, warg riders, trolls, and your force will be looking good

vodrake
13-03-2009, 20:46
Im aware sauron can die as easily as a troll but i find its the nine who do the most damage in my army. They, along with sauron lower the enemies courage, prevent them from using the courage of characters, then beat them in combat with the advantage of terror, high strength (and usually re-rolling to hit due to fury) and the nine striking against courage (re-rolling to hit anyway). But thats what i like about using them, dont really mind being outnumbered, my other army is going to be elves!!

Played 3 won 3 so far, 2 against dwarves and 1 against misty mountains with stone giant and drakes and stuff.

Might try dropping one of the units when I get some more stuff, maybe take a couple of trolls instead and some wargs.

Marauder
13-03-2009, 22:45
Well, good job!

What bugs me about the 9 abroad is that they have a mastery of 10, but don't seem to have any great ways to help them out with their focus roll. No epic channeling or free might each turn. I guess with 9 might, who cares?!

I probably won't ever field them all together. I really like the fellbeasts, and have a couple. Some of the wraith abilities are really good in formations too (like Khamul's in a bit formation of orcs).

I can't wait to play Sauron, but I'll probably reserve him for a 3000pt game.

Firstcast
14-03-2009, 00:25
Im aware sauron can die as easily as a troll but i find its the nine who do the most damage in my army. They, along with sauron lower the enemies courage, prevent them from using the courage of characters, then beat them in combat with the advantage of terror, high strength (and usually re-rolling to hit due to fury) and the nine striking against courage (re-rolling to hit anyway). But thats what i like about using them, dont really mind being outnumbered, my other army is going to be elves!!

Played 3 won 3 so far, 2 against dwarves and 1 against misty mountains with stone giant and drakes and stuff.

Might try dropping one of the units when I get some more stuff, maybe take a couple of trolls instead and some wargs.

Yes the 9 abroad are very nasty, but like marauder stated, they dont have any way to help them with rolling focus, once you fail, thats the end of your magic phase over, so for example, you get your first spell automatically, then try to cast your second, you fail, thats the end of their magic.

As long as you keep sauron in cover from enemy fire, he can be very nasty and survive for as long as you do this, his magic is disgusting, as he gets a free epic action with his touched by destiny rule, you can keep epic channeling up allowing you to reroll failed focus tests, and with his ruin spells, shatter shields and bolt of fire/tremor/exciscate you can inflict alot of wounds without being in combat, then after this at the double with him and get him in cover/out of line of sight of archer fire and artillery

Marauder
16-03-2009, 16:43
As long as you keep sauron in cover from enemy fire, he can be very nasty and survive for as long as you do this, his magic is disgusting, as he gets a free epic action with his touched by destiny rule, you can keep epic channeling up allowing you to reroll failed focus tests, and with his ruin spells, shatter shields and bolt of fire/tremor/exciscate you can inflict alot of wounds without being in combat, then after this at the double with him and get him in cover/out of line of sight of archer fire and artillery

Don't forget that in addition to the "touched by destiny" he's got mighty hero, which gives him a free might each turn. So he could do both Epic Channeling and Epic ruination, or just save the might to boost up a spell roll or a failed focus roll.

The scary thing is if someone does get close he can use epic strength and epic strike - and get off at least "Dark Fury" so he's rerolling 1's and 2's in combat. Quite nasty really.

I agree though that you want to field him where he's got some decent protection. Possibly nestled between a couple of units of orcs to cut down on who can see him to shoot him. If you can keep him protected he can slaughter masses of troops and heroes (nothing like a little black breath to make your duel go badly). I'm thinking I'll probably field him in no less than 2500pts but probably more like 3000pts.