PDA

View Full Version : Need help selecting 2000pt Nid starter army

axabrax
12-03-2009, 16:09
Wasn't sure whether to put this on the army list board or not.

I am looking to start a Tyranid army from scratch and would like some advice. I'd like to play a balanced list that could be flexed into more specialized lists with later purchases. (Too bad the Nid Assault Brood box isn't available any more.)

Hive Tyrant
Tyrant Guard (x2)
Lictor
Tyranid Battleforce (x2)
3 Ripper Swarms
Raveners (x5)
Carnifex (x2)
Zoanthrope

I am a fan of the Lictor model, so I am getting one despite it's negative 5th ed. reviews in many tacticas I've read. I'm waffling on the Broodlord as I know it's a useful unit, but I really don't like the model (I know--stupid reason not to get it :p)

Possibly another Hive Tyrant or more Ripper Swarms?

Your advice is appreciated...

Ax

Deon
12-03-2009, 17:02
hey i am also a tyranid player, and if i may give you some advise, loose the raveners.
In my experience you pay a lot of points and they get shot before the can do anything.
I bought them cause the models look really cool and i had a lot of fun painting them but in the game they're not that good.
In my opinion you can get a lot of other better things for the points
The broodlord how ever is very strong and can almost beat everything in close combat.
have fun (and with tyranids i know you will:D)
oh yeah lictors kick ass:evilgrin:

axabrax
12-03-2009, 18:47
" loose the raveners."

I knew you were going to say that--too bad cause the models are tres cool!

I guess I will end up with the Brood Lord--even though the model is kind of mediocre in my opinion.

Lungboy
12-03-2009, 19:29
There's a new Broodlord on it's way, no idea how long it will be though. If you don't like the Lord, then go for a second Tyrant, this one with wings. Either tool it for cc or give it two pairs of devourers, either build is very nice. As much as i love the little blighters, Rippers rarely make it into my lists these days.

stroller
12-03-2009, 19:37
Take the broodlord. Take one genestealer body and put hormagaunt scything talons on instead ... then he's leading the brood, not just been shot....

Deon
12-03-2009, 21:52
yes i know i like the models verry much too.
but on the tabel they do nothing but get shot.
But you like the lictor model so get another one in my opinion they are real usefull.
(exelent at messing with your enemys plans) :-D

HsojVvad
13-03-2009, 01:27
Why don't you use your Lictor model and use it as a "count as" Brood Lord. You love the Lictor model but can't use it, don't like the Brood Lord model but want to use it.

I can't see why this would be a problem. Same for Ravenors, just say they are suped up 'Stealers, I would do this, as the models are just plain awsome. As long as you don't have any Ravenors in your force, use your opponent shouldn't be confused to what they are as long as you tell them that what they are used for, and just want to use the models.