PDA

View Full Version : Help out a noob with an advise?

TomcatBG
12-03-2009, 18:00
Y0,i'm fairly new to Warhammer world i'm collecting myself a Tomb King army atm but i am thinking of collecting an T'au army also caz my brother wants to collect only an Eldar army and that way i could play with him. So.. i was wondering if T'au are a good choise for beginners?

Starscream1138
12-03-2009, 18:04
Tau are a good choice for beginners. There's a lot there to keep you interested once you get more used to the game too.

Another good choice would be Space Marines because of all the stuff you get in the Black Reach box to get you started.

SPYDER68
12-03-2009, 18:06
Space marines is probly the best beginner army in the game.. BS 4... WS 4 T4.. 3+ save across most of the army..

Tons of characters and options..

and tactically you can recover from a mistake more then you could with some of the other armies.

But it comes down to.. Play what army you think looks cool.

TomcatBG
12-03-2009, 19:29
Well i've looked at a lot of armys and models of Warhammer 40k and the most awesome armies are the mighty young T'au and the Honor Space Marines from the Black Templars chapter =D

Captain Micha
12-03-2009, 19:34
The Tau are the coolest of the two by far. (I've got a very small BT force that I've been piecing together over the years. Eventually I'll have a 1k points of them! :) )

I would go Tau not just cause I'm a tau player telling you this just to see another Tau player out there.

But because there is so much variety in the list. Some of the units are definitely not beginner material. Which we can touch on later in various army lists and tactical threads later.

But they are fairly easy to learn the game with, but also take a while to master. They'll keep with you longer (In my opinion) than picking up Space Marines will because of this.

Also Tau Vehicles just look so awesome.

Hypaspist
12-03-2009, 19:42
I think a lot of it comes from what you enjoy, for instance if you like customising and tinkering and scratch building then you could do a lot worse than Orks.
If paint, play, and have a reliable army under your belt is important Marines would be a good default choice.
Tau are aesthetically very very attractive, I really like the shape of almost all the models in the range.
... on a cruel note, if your Brother is collecting an Eldar army, and you like armies that are a bit of a Glass sword then nothing would provide you both with more fun and smack talk than if you played Dark Eldar, its a steep learning curve, and the models are old(ish) but they are under development for a new range, and those models *will* be lovely. (But I probably shouldn't tempt you down the dark path because you will end up cursing me forever!)

TomcatBG
13-03-2009, 07:27
Well i love tau since... hmm since i bought my first White Dwarf issue =D it was with the new tau codex on the cover =D and i just fell 'in love' with them =D
and maybe i donno me and my bro will buy the Black reach box but i'll most probably go with Tau =D thx for the advise =D

P.S. ahmm one more thing about tau i was wondering does anyone have a list or something of how the tau ranks actualy look on the armor? caz what i've read you can just paint some 'stripes' on them to indicate what squad are they. and i was wondering if someone has a pic of the ranks so i can paint not only the unit they are in but there rank too 8-)