PDA

View Full Version : What Codex Is Best Suited For This Theme?

Proiteus
12-03-2009, 21:38
Hi everyone

Iím currently converting a robotic Mechanicus army using the Necron Codex: Production Log (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181034) But despite the fact that all the conversions look fantastic, I fear that it will play poorly when pitted against competitive armies which is what I often face.

http://fc75.deviantart.com/fs40/f/2009/030/f/1/Zanatorian_Preview_by_Proiteus.jpg
(Warrior, Lord, Immortal)

Back when I started the project in January last year I choose to base the army on the Necron codex as it was the best choice for the theme.

Back then Necrons were a force to be reckoned with and were a common sight at tournaments but now with the 5th edition rules Necrons have a large number of issues with things such as anti-tank and combat, these have made them one of the most difficult armies to use in 40k.

Now everyone I know suggests that I ditch the Necrons and use another codex for the army, I would prefer to keep them as Necrons but to have the problems that they have at the moment for so long, since GW have yet to start work on a new codex Iím really unsure on what to do? I donít want to convert an army just to lose games with it, so Iím looking for opinions on what I should do about the matterÖ

ďShould I Use Another Codex For This Theme And If So Which Would Be Best Suited, Or Should I Find Someway To Use The Necron Codex?Ē

PondaNagura
12-03-2009, 21:56
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186941

search is your friend. this topic of what codex to use for admech comes up every now and then.
a lot of people lean towards WH sisters of battle, but that;s usually dealing with human skitarii. you seem to be more robots and the like, so maybe try a marine codex, or perhaps chaos? or maybe even eldar?

Marshal Sinclair
12-03-2009, 22:19
Doc Thunder did it recently as a Deathwing army, using conversions from old EPIC (or maybe even SPACE MARINE) Knight Paladins.

Arodan
12-03-2009, 22:20
Deamon Hunters would be fitting as well i think.

the1stpip
13-03-2009, 00:13
As discussed tonight, Adam, go with DH or WH. Lots of options (and inducted IG or SM) make it a converters dream.

Proiteus
13-03-2009, 03:28
As discussed tonight, Adam, go with DH or WH. Lots of options (and inducted IG or SM) make it a converters dream.

And like I said Pip the fact Toads already done his mechanicus using that codex puts me off, true not many ideas are unique but I just don't like the idea of building an army that someone has already done at our club.

The way I see I have two options available which is one of the two marine codexs each come with certain traits suitable for the theme...

Loyal Space Marines
PROS
Master Of The Forge: Canít get anymore Mechanicus than that.
The Conversions: The robot conversions Iíve made so far are suitable for representing marines, scouts and terminators; I could even convert my destroyer conversions to be attack bikes or land speeders. (look at my log to see the models Iím referring to)
We're the Good Guys: Most people donít realize that the Zanatorians are out to protect humanity; they just go about doing it the wrong way. By using the marine codex I can play for humanity at campaign weekends.
CONS
Leadership: Not only are the marines not fearless but each squad requires a veteran sergeant to boost leadership and robots donít require squad leaders.
Toughness: Robots are stronger than a flesh and blood marine and there is nothing in this codex to represent this.

Chaos Space Marines
PROS
Good Units For Robots: Obliterators, Deamon Princes, Defilers, Dreadnoughts the list goes on for units suitable for representing machines.
Robots Donít Know Fear: Most units in the chaos codex are either fearless or leadership 10 meaning Iím not forced to give each squad a leader adding to the fluff that there is only one man behind this army of machines.
Durability: A robot is bound to be harder to bring down than a space marine and with the mark of Nurgle this can be easily represented.
Weapons: Inferno Bolts and Sonic Blasters would allow me to use the models with the guass weapon and therefore remove the need to make the weapons exchangeable.
CONS
Theyíre The Bad Guys: Not much of an issue unless I play in a campaign.
Been There Done That: I already have a Death Guard army so using the codex could produce a similar play experience and I hate to have to armies that play the same, so this is a major downside.

It is clear that I will have to create an army using one of these codexs, though I most likely will try and still use them as Necrons now and then.

PondaNagura
13-03-2009, 05:02
hmm, you could possibly run with 1ksons as necron troops, their methodical, kinda price, their weapons AP tears through most armor, and for those games all you need is a 'techno-magi' or 'moderati' to direct them in combat, where as if you wanted to co0\ntinue play necrons, either don't bring those model to the field, or have them preform some other task.

something also wants me to direct you to DA codex, but i can't find mine at the moment in order to say 'why'...

Proiteus
13-03-2009, 11:11
hmm, you could possibly run with 1ksons as necron troops, their methodical, kinda price, their weapons AP tears through most armor, and for those games all you need is a 'techno-magi' or 'moderati' to direct them in combat, where as if you wanted to co0\ntinue play necrons, either don't bring those model to the field, or have them preform some other task.

You've got a good point there and I've added it to the PROS for chaos the fact I can use my guass looking weapon to represent sonic blasters or inferno bolts.

By the way I thought I'd post show you the image of the model and the two weapons I've made for it:

AmBlam
13-03-2009, 12:13
Stay with Necrons and lose a lot. Winning is one of the smallest parts of Warhammer.

Proiteus
13-03-2009, 23:58
Stay with Necrons and lose a lot. Winning is one of the smallest parts of Warhammer.

Maybe if you a collector but I like to use my armies on the board and whats the point of converting an army if you can't win a game with it. My Grot Rebellion army came 18th in a tournament and won best army, this made me feel very pleased with myself and made the months I spent creating it worth it.