PDA

View Full Version : Flying Cavalry

Grimbrow
13-03-2009, 00:09
To be honest, I'm a bit unclear about exactly how they function. I've read the rulebook a few times, and I might just be having a mental block. Are they skirmishers or not?

Like i said, probably an obvious answer, but I'd like it if someone could clear it up for me.

Lord Malorne
13-03-2009, 00:16
Hey.

Page 69 of the rulebook under units of flyers just above flying cavalry it states how they operate (skirmishers).

:)

Grimbrow
13-03-2009, 00:20
Hey Malorne :)
Now I reread it, it seems a bit obvious, actually. For some reason I was thinking the line 'if they move on the ground using their Move value, they move as skirmishers, but...' meant that they didn't operate as skirmishers when flying, but I can see that's wrong now. Oh well, thread closed :p

Urgat
13-03-2009, 09:04
Ah, yeah, this thread makes me remember a question I wanted to ask: these pegasus knights are on flying cavalry bases. So, we (gaming circle) assume that since they're flying cavalry, their base are actually cavalry bases. Are we right?
Btw, what's so scary about them? Last weekend they lost one to a fanatic (they only get to hit the field when I'm facing brets nowadays, it's good for blocking all these charges), then charged my squig hoppers, failed all their attacks, got eaten up and the last one got overrun :D

rottahn
13-03-2009, 09:20
pegasus knights and teradons(both flying cav) are on 40mm bases.

pegasus knights are good, because you essentially have 20" charging, skirmishing human knights with a little less armor save, but a higher toughness and good horse.

Gazak Blacktoof
13-03-2009, 10:21
They're definitely on 40mm bases, I had to help my friend base his.

They're difficult enough to rank up in a combat even on 40mm bases with long brass flying poles to set them at different heights. I think it would be almost impossible to rank them up on cavalry bases even if they were allowed to use them.

devolutionary
13-03-2009, 10:24
This is why being able to remove the Pegasi from the bases easily is a good thing. 3 across is bad, 6 is nightmarish :D

Urgat
13-03-2009, 11:22
40mm? You're sure?
Damn, I sould have had a whole damn lot more attacks then :p

nosferatu1001
13-03-2009, 11:25
While they operate as Skirmishers, as tehy are US2 you do not receive the -1 to shoot penalty.

Hadn't been mentioned, thought it was worthwhile as most people assume "skirmish = -1"

Gazak Blacktoof
13-03-2009, 11:37
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300222&prodId=prod780928&rootCatGameStyle=

Its what they come with.

Urgat
13-03-2009, 12:14
Ah yeah. Did they repack them? My bro ones came with the flying bases... And why is the hero on a normal cavalry mount, then? :/

Gazak Blacktoof
13-03-2009, 12:25
My friend's unit came with flying bases too, though nothing in warhammer is supposed to use them.

As for the bret character, simple answer is becuase that's the base he came with. Its probably best to put him on a 40mm base too though. He certainly isn't cavalry.

For the peg knights you can probably put them on cav bases according to the BRB but as I said, ranking them up would be a nightmare.

Lord Malorne
13-03-2009, 12:51
Just glue the flying bases onto the 40mm bases, makes it far easier.

garythewargamer
13-03-2009, 14:29
Yes the flying donkeys, as my daughter calls my pegs, are a real pain to rank up when they charge. Besides that I spent a lot of time painting them and do not want to break any wings off or scratch my not so good paint job. Here is what I do. It is easy and not expensive.

GW or citadel sells stuff to make movement trays. There is always some left over pieces. I use that to make extra bases with no models on it. Just make sure you opponent knows that they are the same size.

Spirit
13-03-2009, 17:16
So do terradons not get the -1 to hit for being skirmishers?

Volrath
13-03-2009, 17:39
of course not, US 2 or higher never receives a -1 to shoot at.....

as far as bases with blisters...all my VC fell bats didnt come with the proper square bases...i called GW up, told them to send me them and they did...and it was a bag of like 16 of them! Not my fault they don't come with the proper materials that are actually game dependent...make them fix that if you buy something without the proper base.

Volrath
13-03-2009, 17:40
oh, and best way to rank up Pegasus knights is to put the wings on with magnets, then you can take the knights on the inside wings off...leaving the outside knights' wings still on to look cool. 2 guys i play against have magnets wings, works wonders for ranking....

garythewargamer
13-03-2009, 22:08
Yes my next flyers will have the magnet wings. Just ordered some from a website which a friend recommended. He uses them all the time on 40k.

Urgat
14-03-2009, 11:44
oh, and best way to rank up Pegasus knights is to put the wings on with magnets, then you can take the knights on the inside wings off...leaving the outside knights' wings still on to look cool. 2 guys i play against have magnets wings, works wonders for ranking....

Tbest way, pulling the wings off? The best way is just to think a bit before placing them on the bases, some more in the front, some more in the back, some higher, some lower, before gluing. Compared to one of my friends thirty clanrats, three to six pegs are really no problem to rank up.

EldarBishop
14-03-2009, 12:38
I have 5 PKns... they can rank up decently.

Their bases have either one Flying stick, or two Flying sticks attached together... then attached to the 40mm. This staggers their heights... It also helps if you don't glue the PKns to the stands (who would do this anyways... trying transporting those around...)