PDA

View Full Version : wotr- angmar army list- thoughts???

bebibejita
13-03-2009, 07:36
formation of orcs w/ 5 companies X 3
formation of warewolves X2
formation of army of the dead riders w/6 companies X 2

buhdur (legendary troll)
the witch king (im not sure if he can be a winged nazgul and still count as part of your list, if so then him on it)
allied: the master of blades (in one of the ghost riders formations)
1720- w/o winged nazgul cost and command units as i do not recall their price

the orcs can screen the 1st turn for the hella expensive army of the dead. army of the dead just moves through the orcs when needed and the orcs can get killed or fight other trash. buhdur could be nice depending on terrain. the master of blades seems like a good character assassin but could be replaced w/ lurtz

cortez555
14-03-2009, 16:43
Iam doing a angmar list as well and iam sorry to say that ghost riders or ghost legion carnt have epic heros in there formation, if i remmber rightly :(

Reinholt
14-03-2009, 22:17
Correct.

A lot of the undead in the list (Ghostly Legion, Ghostly Riders, Barrow Wights) all have the "We Stand Alone" rule, which means heroes cannot join them.

Something to keep in mind when building the list, and probably part of the reason Buhrdur and Gulavhar are in there, as they are monsters and work solo.

Joewrightgm
14-03-2009, 23:51
Also, Burdur has the Ambush rule, which can devil your opponent if properly placed and timed with a charge form the front

bebibejita
16-03-2009, 19:38
hmmm, well thanks for that info. i will have to rethink the list.
the horsemen are much weaker with no character.

Squidboy
18-03-2009, 14:42
I'm working on Angmar myself but it's tricky without access to the book - out of interest does anyone know the points costs for men of Carn Dum and their upgrades?

Ta muchly

Joewrightgm
18-03-2009, 15:42
Men of carn dum are 30 pts per company, with shields and armor. Pretty sure they don't have any options outside of a captain/standard bearer, which are 50/35 pts respectively.

They also have the berserk rule meaning they are typically going to be +2 S in combat.

Squidboy
18-03-2009, 22:57
Thanks for that

Chris_Tzeentch
19-03-2009, 13:53
The Orcs can have drummers and taskmasters as well as captains and banners.

I have gone for the Barrow Wights (Court of the Last King?) at 120 points. Only one company!

Looks like a good army, albeit a bit small. Looking forward to using mine.

Reinholt
21-03-2009, 19:07
As I put together my Angmar list, I'm finding the same tension:

- Some of the best units have high points costs, meaning you are only going to field them in small groups.

- There are horde units, but they are not among the most capable units in the list.

My solution to this so far has been a piecemeal approach to take the best of each side. I'm running with Buhrdur and Barrow Wights, but also a large unit of Orcs and some allied Warg Riders (I'm planning to ally in a few orc units from Mordor to sort of round out the orc contingent for Angmar, as it seems a relatively solid choice from a background perspective).

Thus, I have some sacrificial big units, but also some heavy hitters. I think managing that balance will be key for Angmar armies. Too small and you get wiped out, but too big and you can't maximize your best stuff.

Chris_Tzeentch
30-03-2009, 12:08
I am going to be playing my first game tonight with a 1000 pt list.

I am having difficulties fitting everything in.

I am not sure which commander to choose, the Witch King or Buhdhur?

I'll put a list up and let everyone know how it went later.

Chris_Tzeentch
31-03-2009, 12:30
Well, I had my first game with the list. I lost, but put up a good fight!

I will put up a list later, but here are my initial findings :-

You need captains in Ghostly units, as they can be extemely fast with At The Double rolls.

Ghosts can pass through friendly and enemy units! Ghosts are some of the fastest units in the game.

Unfortunately, because of my lack of experience using this ruleset, I got stuck in silly positions which meant I couldn't maximise my speed.

The Witch-King of Angmar is awesome. Spirits and his spells which reduce courage can really mess up the enemies action plan.

When spell casting, go for the all important spell first, because it is cast automatically and there is no risk of this fouling up.

Ghosts are only defence 5 and very expensive. Be carefull when using them. Consider using Fates such as the Cursed Armour of Udun to give them extra defence and therefore keep them alive longer.

The Court of Fallen Kings is total cavalry bane. Decent defence, and they ignore resilience!

I think the Angmar list is one of the tougher lists to get to grips with, its certainly more subtle than Isengard list for example.

The biggest problem is the high cost of the spirits. They are good supporting troops, but are not suitable for core units really.

I realised after playing the games we were playing certain rules incorrectly, which made my position a lot more difficult.

Good list overall though.

Chris_Tzeentch
31-03-2009, 13:39
As I put together my Angmar list, I'm finding the same tension:

- Some of the best units have high points costs, meaning you are only going to field them in small groups.

- There are horde units, but they are not among the most capable units in the list.

My solution to this so far has been a piecemeal approach to take the best of each side. I'm running with Buhrdur and Barrow Wights, but also a large unit of Orcs and some allied Warg Riders (I'm planning to ally in a few orc units from Mordor to sort of round out the orc contingent for Angmar, as it seems a relatively solid choice from a background perspective).

Thus, I have some sacrificial big units, but also some heavy hitters. I think managing that balance will be key for Angmar armies. Too small and you get wiped out, but too big and you can't maximize your best stuff.

I agree about Warg Riders, the Ghostly Riders are terribly expensive - in my last game they got charged by Knights of Gondor and were destroyed relatively easily.

Chris_Tzeentch
31-03-2009, 13:40
hmmm, well thanks for that info. i will have to rethink the list.
the horsemen are much weaker with no character.

They can still have a captain and a banner bearer though.