PDA

View Full Version : Skaven Slaves...

Sloppyjayman
13-03-2009, 16:04
I have always loved Hoard armies but am just getting to skaven after 13 years of Warhammer. (note the number 13)

I have decided that I will be using 3 units of 20 Slaves in my army. What I would like to do is have is have the front 3x5 (15 models) be from a different army with the back rank being Clanrat Spearmen. The Clanrats will be prodding the slaves forward.

I have decided that one unit will be a mix of skinks, saurus and coldones. I will put them all on 20mm bases.

What should the other 2 units be?

Maurauders
Empire state troops
DE Spearmen
Zombies
Dwarfs
etc.

I will be cutting the weapons off the slave models to represent them being slaves and dirty them up quite a bit.

Any advice would be great and suggestions are always a help.

THanks

gd09garett
13-03-2009, 16:12
SNIP

What should the other 2 units be?

SNIP

Any advice would be great and suggestions are always a help.

THanks

Witch Elves and Corsairs for the irony.

Braad
13-03-2009, 16:16
I would completely mix all units from several races, though probably mainly rats and humans. So just one big mess.

I don't think its logical to have saurus in there, as they would likely keep trying to kill the skaven, until they get killed themselves. I don't know if same goes for skinks.
Enslaing zombies would also be quite a difficult task...

I think marauders, empire troops, greenskins (though not black orcs), a random troll or other beasty, a few dwarves and/or elves and maybe even some halflings would be the best choices for slaves.

I can imagine a more elite warrior to be very difficult to enslave, as they will more likely fight to their death when anyone attempts to enslave them. Ofcourse, taking prisoner is always possible, but when you give them a chance, they probably start fighting again so you can't take them out of their cage...

Warlord Gnashgrod
13-03-2009, 16:31
I can imagine a more elite warrior to be very difficult to enslave, as they will more likely fight to their death when anyone attempts to enslave them. Ofcourse, taking prisoner is always possible, but when you give them a chance, they probably start fighting again so you can't take them out of their cage...

That's where clan moulder comes in; nothing like a little experimenting and brain surgery to take the fight out of those elite troops. Of course, they won't be elite any more, but they still make good slaves. ;)

Lord Malorne
13-03-2009, 16:32
Then when some die the clanrats at the back get taken off and the slaves escape!

Darkmaw
13-03-2009, 16:34
I would suggest Clanrats still, since according to fluff, most of the slaves are from other defeated clans

Also flagellants is a good choice, what better than unkept dirty humans covered in shackles for slaves??

O&G'sRule
13-03-2009, 17:34
I'd suggest waiting for the new book tbh, you never know what they will make illegal as combo's

Rolo Ramone
13-03-2009, 19:07
Bretonnia´s Men-at-arms.

The SkaerKrow
13-03-2009, 19:23
I've always held that Goblins (especially Night Goblins) make perfect Skaven Slaves.

mrtn
13-03-2009, 23:59
I've always held that Goblins (especially Night Goblins) make perfect Skaven Slaves.
They do for a number of reasons:
1) monetary (cheap BfSP goblins FTW!),
2) looks (they're not bigger than their owners, like most other minis are)
3) fluff:

Crookback Mountain
Crookback Mountain is the largest Skaven stronghold in the Dark Lands. The mountain lies at the eastern end of Mad Dog Pass, a great spire of black rock thrusting up out of the dusty plain. Crookback Mountain is currently held by Lord of Decay Kratch Doomclaw, leader of one of the most powerful clans, Clan Rictus. Clan Rictus breed a remarkably large number of giant black-furred warriors so Lord Kratch has numerous regiments of elite Stormvermin under his control, making him much feared by the other Warlord clans. The main function of this particular hold are to supply Goblin slaves to the Under-Empire and to mine the rich seams of iron and copper beneath the mountain for the forges of Clan Rictus. These goblins are Night Goblins BTW. Emphasis mine.

If you click the orange link in my sig you can see my slaves. They're mainly goblinoid with a smattering of skaven and dwarves.

bert n ernie
14-03-2009, 00:18
I'd certainly recommend looking at mrtn's log.
There are so many combinations of miniatures you can use for your slave units. Personally I'd suggest getting at least one from each of your opponents armies if they have stuff going spare. It can enhance the background and save you money.
Unless you have a really good reason I would not go for Zombies.

The link in my sig has three slave units if you want to check them out. They have a mix of elves, dwarves, humans, lizardmen and goblins.

swarmofseals
14-03-2009, 01:29
I'm pretty much going to echo what everyone else has said. The lizardmen don't make sense to me, but the following choices seem really good:

goblins
humans (flagellants, bret men at arms and maybe marauders)
other skaven
crypt ghouls

zombies seem like a nono. A smattering of dwarves and elves might be appropriate, but I'd keep the numbers low and I'm not sure how easy it will be to dirty them up sufficiently.

Feefait
14-03-2009, 01:39
I'd suggest waiting for the new book tbh, you never know what they will make illegal as combo's

I'd imagine they will all be "counts as" slaves. I would say build them from the amries you playa aginst most often. My slaves are goblins, skinks and some man at arms, orcs and bretts being a common foe, skinks just neing from ym other army and a handy small model that also happens to be a skaven rival. I don't really play anything else that would fit. HE's and Chaos jus wouldn't make good slave models.

I paint their eyes a bright green, and their clothes are all gray.

Stuffburger
14-03-2009, 06:59
I'd be very, very leery of anything that comes on a 25mm base. They tend to be very, very hard to rank well when on 20mm bases.

Bregalad
14-03-2009, 12:49
I would take Gnoblars, enhanced with Reaper Bloodstone Gnomes:
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/BloodstoneGnomes

Tokamak
14-03-2009, 12:57
This is why I think GW should produce a plastic slave set one day. A 10 model box with different races, orcs, elves, dwarves humans all dressed in rags and in chains.

Could be used as a 'core' (does not count towards minimum core requirement) dogs of war unit by dogs of war, dark elves, chaos, skaven en chaos dwarves. Very cheap and weak stuff, the only special thing about them is that they can be shot at while in combat.

Just brilliant.

soots
14-03-2009, 13:21
Would look funny unless you could change their facial expressions and their posture.

General Squeek Squeek
14-03-2009, 14:31
for added effect I've always found it fun to throw in a couple of packmasters to the back of the unit to "encourage" the slaves to move forward. They don't use their whips b/c its only for looks but it is fun.

Col. Tartleton
14-03-2009, 18:26
I happen to like slaves to be skaven. Otherwise they'd be too random looking. A nice block of patchy light furred rapscallions being whipped on by well equipped clan rats with swagger sticks and the occasional short whip. Thats how I imagine Skaven Slaves, as skaven in slavery. I don't think other races slaves would be used in battle, they could stay in the mines. Skaven have a mindset that's adept at being enslaved. The other races (goblins excluded) don't.

FluXpac
14-03-2009, 18:35
Gnoblers + clanrat headswap + spare clanrat tails
cheap as chips, look good too

Griefbringer
14-03-2009, 23:27
Don't forget a small bunch of very unfortunate halfling slaves!