PDA

View Full Version : Skink/Kroxigor Units and Fear

The SkaerKrow
13-03-2009, 19:21
This came up in a club discussion recently, and I'd like to get some outside opinions on it.

What Unit Strength is used to determine the size of a mixed unit of Skinks and Kroxigors for the purposes of resolving their Fear effects? Conventional wisdom holds that you'd only use the Unit Strength of the Fear causing models in the unit, but the book always refers to "Fear causing units," not models. By that wording, as the mixed unit causes Fear, you'd end up counting the Unit Strength of everyone, Skinks and Kroxigors, when working out the unit's Fear effects.

Has anyone else found a clear resolution to this potential bit of ambiguity?

N810
13-03-2009, 19:31
I believe the whole unit causes fear, But
only use the Unit Strength of the Fear causing models
when counting things like outnumbered by fear causers...

Also this applys to Salamanders and the other mixed units.

Tae
13-03-2009, 20:05
My friend does the same thing for his Rat Ogres. The whole unit causes fear, but only the Rat Ogres themselves are counted for outnumbering purposes.

rottahn
13-03-2009, 21:15
thats how we play it here, too.

EvC
14-03-2009, 18:50
Yeah, the term "fear causing unit" is a bit misleading, because it's not really an entirely fear-causing unit (Consider a Hydra- it's got a terror-causer in it, but you couldn't say it's a terror-causing unit). So only the Krox count for fear/ outnumbering.

Gazak Blacktoof
14-03-2009, 22:51
So only the Krox count for fear/ outnumbering.

Yep, that's how its played but the rules covering it are pretty vague or directly contradict this interpretation.

EvC
15-03-2009, 21:08
They don't directly contradict it, they kinda sorta contradict it if you decide that the definition of a fear-causing unit is "any unit with a fear-causing model in it". Which sounds right, but dig deeper, and it can't really be...

Gazak Blacktoof
16-03-2009, 00:17
it can't really be...

Well it can if that's what the rules say. Though I don't suppose anybody plays it that way.

Bac5665
16-03-2009, 03:35
But then what about the rider on a dragon? Does he cause terror? If the skinks don't count with the kroxigor, I don't see how an Elf adds to the Dragon.

Lord0rcus
16-03-2009, 06:36
I was reading the old FaQ for lizardmen 6th ed for a salamander/skink handler unit which was combination fear/non fear causing unit.

Q. The Salamanders cause fear. Do you also count Skinks for the
Unit Strength of fear-causing creatures?

A. No.
S. Lizardmen Army Book page 29 / Anthony Reynolds - Warhammer
Design Team

Granted it was last edition, but it would be a complete flip flop.

Dokushin
16-03-2009, 15:45
I was reading the old FaQ for lizardmen 6th ed for a salamander/skink handler unit which was combination fear/non fear causing unit.

A. No.
Design Team

This doesn't really help -- the crux of the issue there is the Handlers don't contribute unit strength, and so have nothing to do with Fear-causing unit strength anyway. The Skinks in a mixed unit DO contribute unit strength.

Gazak Blacktoof
16-03-2009, 15:49

A. No.
Design Team

That's certainly the sensible way to play it.

As for fear causing monsters and riders that's dealt with on p. 79 of the BRB.