PDA

View Full Version : Generic vehicles: common sense cost cutting measure or cheapskate shortcut?

Trench_Raider
13-03-2009, 20:09
I have more than one MEQ army. I've got loyalist Space marines (Space Wolves and black painted Dark Angels) painted up in two flavors. I also have two seperate Chaos Space Marine armies (Nurgle and Slannesh) with a third (Khorne)on the way. Conceivably those five armies would need quite a number of vehicles to give me the flexibility to field more than one option. But quite some time ago I hit upon an idea to cut the costs: generic painted vehicles.

My motor pool of Space Marine vehicles are all painted in a "Codex Grey" paint scheme with some non-army specific markings such as vehicle numbers to spice them up a bit. If I need a vehicle for a specific army I just use it.

There is even fluff (albiet rather old fluff) to back it up. Back in the RT Compendium it states that Imperial vehicles come from the factory Painted Codex Grey and that chapter specific paint jobs are by definition non-standard.

Granted, this comes at a slight cost in visual apeal (I'll be the first to admit that army specific vehicle colors looks better) but it saves me who knows how much money as well as the time to paint up dup;icate vehicles for each army.

So as the title says, is this a common sense cost cutting measure or is it just me being a cheapskate? Does anyone else do this?

TR

Marshal Sinclair
13-03-2009, 20:20
I do it with my Guard armies. I have 4 Guard armies, and share vehicles between all of them (Krieg and Vostroyans both use artillary, whilst Tallarn and Cadians both use Russes).

Ubermensch Commander
13-03-2009, 20:31
Its a good idea, especially with that many armies. Its not as attractive on the table, but as long as the game is fun, roll with it.

LonelyPath
13-03-2009, 20:35
Since it comes from a piece of canon fluff that is still in effect to this very day (I forget which book currently mentions it) a armoury of generic grey vehicles is quite suitable and certainly not a cheapskate approach. With 40k vehicles costing so much these days it's a worthwhile aspect to look at. While I love theming all my vehicles to each army, I've got a few rhinos that tend to pop up in different armies myself, so I say go for it.

Rick Blaine
13-03-2009, 21:06
If you don't care about your army looking nice, neither do I. As long as the size is correct, you can field cardboard boxes for all I care.

Reaver83
13-03-2009, 21:09
Ever think doing a non MEQ army could be sensible?

Laser guided fanatic
13-03-2009, 21:09
It's a good idea but i wouldn't do it just because i love the sight of tank overkill.

Karnstein
13-03-2009, 21:17
Don't see a problem, so i would play against such an army. personaly I thought about using my old csm&sm models for one list some time ago too, allowing me to switch between both codices (fielding those guys as Alpha Legion) and save me a lot of money. I'm a student not Mr. Gates...but I dropped that idea after SM/CSM lost the flavour for me (not rulewise).

JanusKain
13-03-2009, 21:19
I would not be able to, in good measure, give you a maxed out painting score (if it was still really awesome I would give max-1, but I kind of think theme is important to an armies paint scheme). But that would be it, I don't really care what I'm facing as long as my opponent has it painted with at least 3 colors. :)

Trench_Raider
13-03-2009, 21:42
Ever think doing a non MEQ army could be sensible?

Um, I've got IG, Space Orks, Squats, and Space Slaan as well. Is that sensible enough for you, sparky?

TR

Trench_Raider
13-03-2009, 21:44
I would not be able to, in good measure, give you a maxed out painting score (if it was still really awesome I would give max-1, but I kind of think theme is important to an armies paint scheme). But that would be it, I don't really care what I'm facing as long as my opponent has it painted with at least 3 colors. :)

*sigh*
So would you hit my RT style Emperor's Children painted up in a variety of pastel and garish colors as per the photos and fluff featured in the "Slaves to Darkness" book on painting as well because it was non-uniform?

TR

Deamon-forge
13-03-2009, 21:48
this is such a ace idea, codex grey for my Rhinos etc, for both SM armys, maybe i could do this for my IG also. and i would have no troble some one doing this to there army tanks cheap way of doing but ACE!

Trumane
13-03-2009, 22:27
I think it is a great idea. To spice things up a little, perhaps make the doors removable and swap out the doors for different armies. Or maybe just one set of generic imperial doors and one set of generic chaos doors.

RichBlake
13-03-2009, 22:27
*sigh*
So would hit my RT style Emperor's Children painted up in a variety of pastel and garish colors as per the photos and fluff featured in the "Slaves to Darkness" book with a hit on painting as well because it was non-uniform?

TR

I'm sorry but that argument is pretty poor. I haven't flocked any of my model's bases because I started ages ago and I have a **** load of models and I don't want to spend time and money on basing them. All the bases are painted dark grey but thats it, I would expect to have score docked for it too.

Don't get me wrong, in a club or whatever I couldn't care less, and I'd advise you to paint them appropriately for your favourite army and just use them with the others looking wrong.

In friendly or competitive gaming situations I'd have no problem with playing you like this (though I wouldn't do it myself), however if I was asked to mark your army on painting you'd definitely lose mark/marks for doing it.

Reaver83
13-03-2009, 22:29
Um, I've got IG, Space Orks, Squats, and Space Slaan as well. Is that sensible enough for you, sparky?

TR

No you've ignored eldar :)

Trench_Raider
13-03-2009, 22:30
No you've ignored eldar :)

Heh...not really.
I'm sitting on a bunch of Eldar figures that I never have gotten around to doing anything with. ;)

TR

Occulto
14-03-2009, 00:09
*sigh*
So would you hit my RT style Emperor's Children painted up in a variety of pastel and garish colors as per the photos and fluff featured in the "Slaves to Darkness" book on painting as well because it was non-uniform?

TR

Depends.

At my events I give points for some way of easily identifying different squads (to prevent confusion).

As for the original idea? No problem with you doing it, but it's still not as good IMHO as dedicated colour schemes and (especially in the case of Chaos) conversions.

dblaz3r
14-03-2009, 01:48
Heh...not really.
I'm sitting on a bunch of Eldar figures that I never have gotten around to doing anything with. ;)

TR

That must hurt your bottom :p:D

I like the idea of swappable army specific doors. At least this way they would look more like they fit in which ever army you where fielding. Though I suppose its a bit late for that to work for you.

Bookwrak
14-03-2009, 01:56
Cheapskate is building wraithlords out of sprue. Sensible is fielding multiple marine armies and not really feeling like purchasing and painting unique vehicles that are interchangeable between all of them.

Distinct paintjobs are for warriors, not battle taxis/they're fresh off the transport ship from the forgeworld, but no time for paint, they're needed in combat immediately/they're fresh off the forgeworld transport, itself reduced to a flaming hulk by chaos raiders, and no time to properly defile and desecrate them, they're needed in combat immediately! There you go, you have your plain painted transports, and wonderfully fluffy reasons for why they're painted the way they are.

Hatemonger
14-03-2009, 02:40
*sigh*
He didn't say uniform, he said theme.

A bunch of Slaanesh marines painting all their armor in a riot of color is a very strong theme. Having all their tanks painted in a uniform, drab gray would make them look very much out of place, and hence breaks the theme.

Even if it is being a bit "cheap", I can certainly understand wanting to buy 5 tanks rather than 20, and I wouldn't give you grief about playing it. Well, ok, maybe a little friendly teasing. ;)

But you said yourself:

Granted, this comes at a slight cost in visual apeal (I'll be the first to admit that army specific vehicle colors looks better)
If your army doesn't look as good painted, isn't that exactly the reason to dock a point or two on your painting score?

- H8

demicanadian
14-03-2009, 06:18
I thought you were going to complain about GW for a minute...

So let me say this. If GW can use the same Devilfish body to make a Hammerhead or Skyray (I love the Hammerhead rules but hate how they're Devilfish)... or if GW can use a Rhino chassis & say it as AV13 up front & call it a Predator... or if GW can say that the Hellhound has AV12 on the side & Chimeras have AV10 on the side...

... then why the heck can't we paint our tanks grey & use them for every army that we've got?
:confused:

/painting my Space Marine stuff in Chapter-specific colors... building 2 different armies in 2 different Chapters, but philosophies are completely different so little cross-over (unless I go Apocalypse, and then I guess I'm up **** creek without a paddle)

JanusKain
14-03-2009, 06:31
*sigh*

TR

Theme doesn't mean they are all the same color ;).

But I can't give max painting score to an army painted in, as you put, garish colors sitting next to grey vehicles.

Chem-Dog
14-03-2009, 06:45
To the OP: Worlds worst Idea, You should spend every penny you earn on making army specific tanks!
You should also smash the ones that get destroyed in game and then make new ones!!!
Seriously though, this would be fine by me and like you say Old fluff + primer grey. You may want to seek medical help for your Meq fixation though ;)

I do it with my Guard armies. I have 4 Guard armies, and share vehicles between all of them (Krieg and Vostroyans both use artillary, whilst Tallarn and Cadians both use Russes).

Attached armour elements, essentially a fifth IG regiment. No cheapskating here, awesome extra fluff action in full effect!

chromedog
14-03-2009, 08:13
I use a mix of Black and white rhinos in my SM/DH armies (my stormies ride in rhinos).

I say yay to you for using a common motor pool.

A couple of painting points shouldn't make a difference overall.

EVIL INC
14-03-2009, 12:51
The idea is sound in terms of finances but in terms of game asthetics, it would look terrible except in games of apocolypse. I would personally be embarrassed to use them that way because then my army would look bad and I would look lazy and as though I had no knowledge of the game's background.
Edit, so you dont look too foolish, you could try to make some magnetic plates to put onto them. This way, you could put at least the iconography or markings of which faction you want to be using them onto the plates.

Captain Micha
14-03-2009, 13:57
My guard will be doing something similar to this as I'm not going to buy -that many- vehicles.

(Or so I claim.... I will own four baneblades though... at least)

Going to buy two more "Leman Russ" (Tamiya T-72 Tanks)

Three Hellhounds

and Five Valkyries and Two Vendettas.

Hicks
14-03-2009, 14:06
Pssst. I don't do this often, but sometimes I'll use my IG storm troopers and chimeras as DH storm troopers and chimeras. Just don't tell anybody...

Legionary
14-03-2009, 15:45
It's not really very fair to label it "cheapskate" or "common sense" when we're in a recession and WH is such an expensive hobby. However, I would not be impressed to see you fielding vehicles painted in just codex grey. I'd much prefer that you paint them in the colours of your favourite army and use them looking odd for other armies, rather than having them effectively unpainted in perpetuity.

However, I can understand it and I would not complain. If they were painted appropriately (ie, a decent paint job in a grey colour scheme) I would also not mark your army down on painting score.

Marshal Sinclair
14-03-2009, 16:02
I am sure he didn't mean just to spray them Codex Grey and leave it at that. Painted properly it would look just fine. You could even explain it as a simple method of camo for city fighting. Besides, we've all seen the grey Ultramarine Rhino in the Codex.

Laser guided fanatic
14-03-2009, 17:14
I can just imagine loads of servitors with spray cans spraying tanks now.

Thrax
15-03-2009, 00:52
How about making fully painted commanders that can be switched out of each vehicle? And maybe covering the vehicle in mud or soot? The removable doors and magnetized icons are certainly good ideas.

starlight
15-03-2009, 01:12
Magnetise the unique bits (doors, weapons, turrets, commanders, icons, upgrades, etc) and you're sorted. :)

decker_cky
15-03-2009, 08:06
If you wanted them to fit in a little more, you could have a common colour through all the armies (even just a little edging used on some of them) and use it as a slight highlight colour for the vehicles. A little coloured trim would go a long way to making the vehicles fit the army.