PDA

View Full Version : resident evil 5

Despoiler
13-03-2009, 23:47
so its out and ive been playing it co-op for most of the day with my brother. i have to say i really am enjoying it. its great fun the weapon upgrade system is much better though i can't say im a fan of the level system rather than one flowing game.

still like i said its still great graphics are very clean, sound is great, co-op is everything you would want and hope to expect from it.

and of course the greatest back up weapon in resident evil 4 (and dare i say ever) is back: the Egg! (come on you can't help but smile as you pelt the zombies).

a huge step towards the right direction as far as everything is concerned!

so what does everyone else think?

Ravening Wh0re
14-03-2009, 18:16
I'm really enjoying it too.

I think the level system needs to be in there so you can replay many times. Replaying is essential too because of the way you can collect every weapon and upgrade them (you get to keep all weapons and upgrades when you start again).

I've only really used three weapons throughout the game (the M92F pistol, the S75 sniper rifle, and the stun rod)
My partner uses the Ithaca M37 and the H&K MP5.

Tonberry
14-03-2009, 19:52
:mad:Grrr:mad:

I preordered mine from Amazon, said they'd posted it on Thursday, didn't arrive on release day or today, so the earliest I'll get it now is Monday.

Pity me :cries:

Marsekay
14-03-2009, 20:06
i played the demo and i didnt like it!

maybe it was a bad level or needs time to get into or something?

Ravening Wh0re
15-03-2009, 00:35
i played the demo and i didnt like it!

maybe it was a bad level or needs time to get into or something?

It's not any further than RE4, but the co-op makes it really good fun

tortoise
15-03-2009, 14:30
This is pretty much copy and pasted from my post in another thread with some extra things I've discovered as I keep on playing.

Sheeva really is terrible. She wastes any ammo or health boosts you give her, continually gets in the way and has movement so eratic and jittery that it literally gave me a headache watching the screen after only about 20 minutes of play. Apart from that its hard to see whats going on because she sticks to you like glue and takes up the second half of the screen- which also has the side effect that you can't enjoy the impressive graphics as much as you would like to. And if you send her off away from you she gets killed.

I've lost count of the number of times I've taken damage because as I back away from an enemy she's behind me blocking my movement.

Annoyingly you can't move items between inventories unless she's right next to you, nor can you order her to pick something up unless she's literally right next to you. Sure, you shouldn't be able to swap items if she's miles away but at least a routine should have been in place so that if you swapped an item she would jog over to you to do the actual swap. The situation is worsened by the fact that you often call her over so that you can do this only for her to move away before you've navigated your inventory. Yep, the only time you want her right next to you is the only time she buggers off. You can't combine items in each other's inventories either, nor can you drop an item. So if you find a red herb and want to combine it with the green herb you're already carrying you have to discard an item if your inventories are full.

Finally, her presence (even if controlled by another player) lessens the tension of the game dramatically.

The narrative of the game is so far non existent. I don't even know why my character is in Africa. I know I'm looking for a guy (I forget his name) and have no idea why, or who the guy is supposed to be.

I don't like giving games scores but so far its looking like a 6/10 game that would have been a 9 without a partner to ruin it.

I'm aware that people will say 'well, its meant to be played as a co-op game', but this just isn't an excuse. While I wouldn't criticise, say, Unreal Tournament for having a lame single player, Resi has always been a solo experience and Resi 5 is intended to be played alone as much as with a friend. The fact that co-op play is possible (or even desirous) is no excuse for the terrible coding that has gone into Sheeva's AI or the horrible problems that her presence has brought to the inventory system.

I would probably enjoy the game more as a co-op game but the idea of organising a time where both myself and a friend are going to be available to play through the whole game is just impractical.

Ravening Wh0re
15-03-2009, 18:49
I would probably enjoy the game more as a co-op game but the idea of organising a time where both myself and a friend are going to be available to play through the whole game is just impractical.

I can understand where you're coming from.

But tbh, I think the tension left the game when they made RE4. The loss of fixed camera angles, the running and gunning and easy access to powerful weapons made it a faster but less scary game.

Capcom was only really following on the success of that game. I actually thank the gods that you can't move whilst firing because it'd be any other 3rd person shooter.

Btw, you don't have to play with a friend. You can play with any randoms; I hear the Japs are very good partners.

Despoiler
15-03-2009, 19:05
The narrative of the game is so far non existent. I don't even know why my character is in Africa.

actually thats all explained in the opening cinematic.

i find with some prts of the narraitive you just need to listern more carefully, it isn't pinpointed and as clear as past games.

is anyone else pleased to see the return of everyones favourite RE monster: the licker. and my god are they tough!

dax
15-03-2009, 19:46
I'm about half way through and I'm abit mehh about the whole thing. Sheeva does nothing for he game she's more of a hinderance than a help as has been said. The amount of herbs she wastes and I bought her better gun but she insists on using the basic pistol unless she's out of ammo plus her presence ruins the tension factor.

The controls are very dated now having to stand still to shot is annoying but the lack of strafing, crouching/ducking or taking cover is just makes it feel very old - GTA4 has spoilt me!

Then there's the "they have a cave troll" boss WTF! and I miss the running back and forth even if it did get repetative I don't like the chapters format at all.

I have RE1 (original and Gamecube version), 2, 3 and Code Veronica. Never got Zero or RE4 so perhaps thats why the change seems so strange to me.

So far I'd agree with 6/10 I'm hoping I've missed something but I can't see it getting much better. RE6 will need a major over haul.

Deamon-forge
15-03-2009, 20:45
Im geting this in a few days if money is good, and i herd about the licker last night rom a friend playing I cant wait to see them, any one got a pic of what they look like in RE5?
i just hoped they should of stayed with the zombie stuff not this lasplagus (sp) crap. bring back the DEAD! if they DO make a RE6 i wish they go to zombies

GeneralDisaster
15-03-2009, 20:58
Im geting this in a few days if money is good, and i herd about the licker last night rom a friend playing I cant wait to see them, any one got a pic of what they look like in RE5?
i just hoped they should of stayed with the zombie stuff not this lasplagus (sp) crap. bring back the DEAD! if they DO make a RE6 i wish they go to zombies

Go T-Virus! Birkin and the old guy didn't spend all that time to let some wormy thing steal the limelight!

dax
15-03-2009, 22:31
Mmmm when did RE become Tomb Raider I've just spent the last half hour running around ancient underground ruins dodging infected tribesmen!!!

Another thing I forgot to mention is those infuriating deaths that occur when you have to press several buttons in quick succession but you don't even realise you have to do something until your dead.

Ravening Wh0re
16-03-2009, 00:41

They actually look like moles. The naked kind. You'll see what I mean

MadJackMcJack
16-03-2009, 13:44
Mmmm when did RE become Tomb Raider I've just spent the last half hour running around ancient underground ruins dodging infected tribesmen!!!

Aye, it makes me laugh about all the "African racism, LOL!" ******** that surrounded RE5, when, for a third of the game, you're hard-pressed to realise you're not in South America (the other third being the standard Overly Elaborate Underground Base in true RE tradition).

I also find it disturbing just how eager some RE villians are to turn themselves into horrific doom monsters in order to kill the heroes and then take over the world. I've got news for you people, a giant ravenous hell beast is not the perfect evolutionary step for world domination. If you step up to the Presidential podium for a speech, people won't sit and listen, they'll run screaming because you're a hideous freak who will eat them all!

Despoiler
16-03-2009, 16:14
another thing i realised whilst playing is the sheer amount of weapons:

pistols:
M92FS
H&K P8
Sig P226
Beretta M93R
Beretta PX4
S100
Samurai Edge*

Magnums:
S&W M29
Desert Eagle
S&W M500*

Shotguns:
Ithaca M37
Benelli M3
Striker
Jail Breaker
Hydra triple barreled shotgun* (ahh.... lovely)

Subs:
H&K MP5
Skorpian

Assault rifles:
AK47
SIG 556
Gatling gun* (i know why that is an assault rifle i will never know either)

Rifles:
Sako S75
Dragunov
PSG1

Explosives:
Flash grenades
explosive grenade
incinuary grenade
grenade launcher
rocket launcher
proximity mine
noctovision rocket launcher
infinity rocket launcher*

miscellaneous:
stunrod
flamethrower
longbow*
egg (had to add it.... rotten ones kill stuff.)

please note:
weapons marked with a '*' require unlocking by either fully upgrading the starting weapon of there type or by achieving 'S' ranks on all the levels.

now thats alot of weapons for a RE game.

Warlord Gnashgrod
16-03-2009, 18:15
Just out of curiousity, does the Umbrella Corporation have any mention/part in this game at all? I remember that the end of RE4 indicated that the Umbrella Co. wasn't as completely dead as everyone thought...

dax
16-03-2009, 19:36
Yep Umbrella is very much still around - the facilities in Africa where built by Umbrella but are now run by Tricell.

Just finished it on Normal setting and I have to say the last third is far better than the first 2 thirds once you get into Umbrellas underground facility it just starts to feel like an RE game the African setting of the first part just doesn't feel right. The bosses at this point are just rediculous as well (in a good way) even the regular guys get really tough with plate armour (so you have to shoot at tiny exposed areas), guns, gatling guns etc.

Lickers are like skinned moles alright and theres loads of them. I killed the first 2 I met then ran past the rest just to many to deal with. Reapers are just plain sick they lock like big locust things and pretty much kill you outright if you get too close.

I have to say I now don't mind the chapter stages as oppossed to the back and forth type game it wouldn't work like that anyway.

I mentioned before that theres no ducking/crouching well actually there is its just area specific some items/walls allow you to hide behind them by pressing the square button.

Overall having finished it I'd give it a 7/10 it was worth the €40 I spent on it but I don't know where some mags/websites are getting their 9 or 9.5 out of 10 from. There's obviously alot more to find as my record page is showing 25% complete.

Fist of Crimson
17-03-2009, 19:58
Then there's the "they have a cave troll" boss

I'm so glad someone else thought this.

When my wife and I got to that point in the game we glanced at each other and announced "They have a cave troll" in our best Sean Bean impersonations.

fun game overall. Really enjoying playing co-op.

Despoiler
17-03-2009, 22:23
actually the good old cave troll boss was in re4. (and trust me the intro to that was extremely lotr, so much so you just had to laugh).

CAAAVE TROLLL! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbsvhwO14Lg&feature=PlayList&p=C98B23346A17D9E8&index=71)

so whats everyones weapon of choice? mine has to the Hydra shotgun; a triple barrelled sawn off shotgun. can't get much cooler than that.

i then usually give sheva the SAKO rifle for support mines almost fully upgraded so she provides good long range support whilst i go up close and personal with the shotty and knife.

Spider-pope
18-03-2009, 15:21
Im not too far into it, only just killed the giant bat "thing", but so far its working its way to being my favourite Resident Evil.

Ive played every Resi game released so far, and whilst some didnt like the changes Res4 made, i thought they were a much needed change. Res5 takes the good aspects of Res4 and ties them more into the main plot of its predecessors. I just wish Sheva would stop getting herself killed in stupid ways. Really need to find a co-op partner one of these days.

MadJackMcJack
18-03-2009, 18:43
On my first playthrough, my weapon of choice was the Benelli M3, with the MP5 as backup. Sheva I gave the H&K P8 and the Dragunov. Of course, I didn't know that in order to unlock the super weapons, you had to fully upgrade the starting weapons. So now, on my 2nd playthrough, both me (as Sheva) and Chris was using an MP5, mainly because I unlocked infinite ammo for it. Dakka dakka dakka! I'm working towards the gatling gun so I can REALLY let rip with the bullet spam. :D

Ravening Wh0re
19-03-2009, 00:37
On my first playthrough, my weapon of choice was the Benelli M3, with the MP5 as backup. Sheva I gave the H&K P8 and the Dragunov. Of course, I didn't know that in order to unlock the super weapons, you had to fully upgrade the starting weapons. So now, on my 2nd playthrough, both me (as Sheva) and Chris was using an MP5, mainly because I unlocked infinite ammo for it. Dakka dakka dakka! I'm working towards the gatling gun so I can REALLY let rip with the bullet spam. :D

Actually, to get the Chaingun and Longbow, you need to fully upgrade just the VZ61 and S75. I have both and I find the Longbow quite tricky to use in tight situations, powerful though.

Mercenaries mode is fun, but tough to get a good score on. Just before getting rescued (after collecting all the time-extends) we tend to get swamped

Despoiler
19-03-2009, 02:05
ive so far unlocked the longbow, gatling gun, hydra, handcannon and the M39R.

the gatling gun is great for crowd contol at CLOSE range for the first few chapters but not alot else (especially seeing as my average accuracy rating is around 12% lol. not good for getting those S ranks). they could have made this thing really overpowered but they didn't which IMHO is a good thing.

the longbow is powerful indeed. but being the ony weapon without a lazer sight means you have to get used to aiming it first. which isn't all that hard.

the hydra is excellent once you buy those range upgrades. my weapon of choice against lickers, big majini and those one-hit-kill bugmen. my ones fully upgraded and has unlimited ammo.

handcannon (S&W M500). small ammo capaticity (only 6 even when fully upgraded). not that you need it with each bullet doing a maximum of 4000 damage a shot!
Clint eat your heart out.

M39R. never really used it. its a pistol sized sub-machinegun. correction a very hungry pistol sized sub-machinegun. best saved for when you get unlimited ammo for it. unless you have a lot of pistol ammo lying around.

its good to see that re5 special weapons aren't all overpowered (with the exception of course of the handcannon). means even with them you still need your partner to support you. i was worried that the unlockable weapons would destroy the need for a partner or just turn them into a walking crate to dump stuff into while you go off and kill everything.

i can also say that in single player sheva is getting annoying. she either stands in front of you blocking your shot or stands behind you and shoots you in the back (its a good job theres no team damage). i haven't found that she dies randomly really expect once against the final boss (i won't spoil it for those who either haven't worked out who it is or don't want to know by saying what the final boss is).

talking of the final boss a small personal achievement (for me at least): just killed him in professional using only my knife! It nearly killed me but it filled me with alittle more pride than it would have done if i had just used guns.

MadJackMcJack
19-03-2009, 02:38
Actually, to get the Chaingun and Longbow, you need to fully upgrade just the VZ61 and S75. I have both and I find the Longbow quite tricky to use in tight situations, powerful though.

I know, I've already unlocked the gatling gun, just need to save up the cash! I only fully upgraded the MP5 because I'd spent so much on it that it only required a little extra to complete it and make infinite ammo available for it. I've also unlocked infinite ammo for the H&K P8 and given it to Chris, since I've found the AI to be pretty accurate, but fires slowly. Given the low damage per shot on the MP5 I'd given him, he wasn't doing much.

Of course, I'm playing Empire: Total War more then anything else, so this stuff I'm doing on the side.

Tonberry
23-03-2009, 14:17
Mine finally came a bit more than a week ago, and I'm addicted. I've completed it on all difficulties too many times, and now find myself running around with an infinite RPG just for the lulz >.>
It's pretty much RE:4 with a different background though, and Chris' status as a god amongst men is confirmed by his power to wolf down raw eggs.
Here's hoping for DLC with new missions, something like what Leon is doing during this game, or maybe a prequel mission in Spencer's mansion.

Anyone else wish they'd release a RE compilation with 1,2 and 3 on a 360/PS3 disc?

tortoise
23-03-2009, 18:20
Mine finally came a bit more than a week ago, and I'm addicted. I've completed it on all difficulties too many times, and now find myself running around with an infinite RPG just for the lulz >.>
It's pretty much RE:4 with a different background though, and Chris' status as a god amongst men is confirmed by his power to wolf down raw eggs.
Here's hoping for DLC with new missions, something like what Leon is doing during this game, or maybe a prequel mission in Spencer's mansion.

Anyone else wish they'd release a RE compilation with 1,2 and 3 on a 360/PS3 disc?

I never really played the first 3 games. I'd love them to high-def the graphics (although only because SD looks so bad through an HD TV) and re-release them.

akgaroth
24-03-2009, 22:14
I just finished this week-end and was an awersome co-op experience (I played it with my brother), though I've to say I was a bit disapointed in few things: first, it's a really short game (even more if compared to RE4) though I still have to play the mercenaries mode. The second problem is Wesker (well, Albert). He's no more the archi-villain of the previous games, he's now a cliché villain with cliché dialogues (well, in fact, many dialogues are really bad written ...). And the partner controlled by the computer is really that awful?

However, despite these things, I think it's a 90+/100 game.

Tonberry
25-03-2009, 14:23
RE has also had terrible, cliche'd dialogue. That's what makes it work.

dax
01-04-2009, 23:59
I now find myself strangely addicted to this game after not being all that into it to start. Currently have 46 hours playing time and nearly all the trophies - I've a few guns still to fully upgrade and one figurine to get (need all S grades!) and I haven't even looked at Mercenaries yet.

I never want to see that Ogre boss (ndesu) again took me 2 hours to beat on professional level he's killed me 56 times. Also I've found myself screaming at Sheva for getting herself killed all the time she died around 12 times in a row on the level with the chainsaw boss at the point where you help her jump into the other building I had to give her all the body armour and loads of herbs just to get her back downstairs.