PDA

View Full Version : The army that is the most fun?

XXL
14-03-2009, 13:35
I've seen a lot of threads about not-fun/"cheesy"/I hate deamons and so on.

But what army is iyo the most fun to play and battle against?

lord ugwart
14-03-2009, 13:58
I'd say orcs and goblins, theres always lots of crazy goings on.

FluXpac
14-03-2009, 14:05
Skaven. When I got back into the hobby about a year ago after a 10 year hiatus, I could actually afford the hundreds of models you need for a skaven list which I never could as a spotty teenager, and so I got the army I had never been able to play before. Then, the new dark elves came out, and I got a case of shiny new army syndrome, but after spending a couple of hundred quid on the models they just weren't any fun. I realized I loved the unpredictability of Skaven - Warp Lightning cannons which could wipe out a half a Chaos army in 1 shot one week, but equally fail to wound a single skink in the next game - Engineers who could spend the whole game getting dispelled, until casting warp lightning on irresistible force and blowing themselves up on turn 5, but sometimes wipe out whole units of swordmasters - Nightrunners who could break Brettonian heros, but not kill a single archer in combat. Weirdly though, the tiny amount of unpredictablility in the Dark Elves list (ie stupid cold one knights) drove me mad and stopped me playing them, and eventually sold the whole lot of them to buy nappies instead (but that's not really the point). What I worked out was that in a game where the whole battle can turn on the role of a dice, you've got to embrace the randomness and not try to beat it - and what army is more random then the Skaven?

dlantoub
14-03-2009, 14:45
I agree with BOTH the above posters. For me it has to be either the goblin horde, though I have a personal distaste to it because I have never actually seen any greenskins who were not goblins fielded as armies.

And Skaven. I love making a tactically bad decision just because I'm using Skaven. "You're going to shoot a Ratling gun at one of my units while it's engaged in combat!?" "Of course! I'm playing Skaven."

Shiodome
14-03-2009, 15:01
what army is more random then the Skaven?

Orc and Goblins.

Half my army i have no control over how far it moves, the other half well... i also can't control how it'll move 1/3rd of the time. the rest is either stupid (Ld4), Stubborn (Ld4) or 'flying' with bat wings and a spiky helmet to 'scout' your forces. Sometimes my heroes don't mind this, but often they get really annoyed and wipe out 20% of the unit just to get them moving again (black orcs). My spell casters often argue instead of casting, and when they do cast they blow up more than any other wizard could hope to, that's if they get a spell with a low enough casting value (which is rare).

So the greenskins are all unreliable argumentative and accident prone, but not all is lost i have non-greenskins! oh wait, it's a giant that when it's not too busy stuffing your lord into his pants spends his time falling over or yelling at stuff. or if not a giant it's the squigs that 'explode' like a mini nuke if they run away. :wtf: some genius goblin decided this was a liability, so him and his mates managed to sit on the squigs to calm them down... only now they move even more erratically, but neatly fill the 'bad guy on space hopper' archetype that's found in all fantasy fiction. (... )

don't even mention the fanatics plowing through snotlings to get a speed boost into your knights, thereafter milling around aimlessly before taking chunks out of something, friend or foe. before finally stumbling into a pond and drowning or getting tangled up in a fence and taken out of action.

all this might sound like a rant bemoaning that crapness of the O&G list, but no, the above is my outpouring of love for the little bastards. even the most stony faced opponent can't help an involuntary chuckle against a classic Orc and Goblins list. :D

(edit: the secret comedy star in O&G lists are the plain old normal orcs. makes me laugh watching the poor fellas try and fight 'normally' and taking stuff seriously, while all the diminutive hangers-on undermine their every move. bless their cotton socks)

Stuffburger
14-03-2009, 15:12
This is a duplicate from 2 days ago http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187820

XXL
14-03-2009, 16:23
This is a duplicate from 2 days ago http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187820

well im very sry, I scrolled around some pages but missed it!

EDIT* LOL its even the same topic! Thats sick, write in the other thread instead guys

selone
14-03-2009, 16:45
Isn't there a difference? that one is why is your army the most fun, and this one is which is the most fun army.

StarFyreXXX
14-03-2009, 17:04
* Orcs & goblins
* Skaven
* tzeentch (random powerful magic is fun)

Sanjay

GuyLeCheval
14-03-2009, 17:46
Skaven is fun to play, but it isn't really fun to play against them. O&G make mush up for that. While Skaven is more fun to play, O&G is more fun to play against...

XXL
14-03-2009, 18:00
Isn't there a difference? that one is why is your army the most fun, and this one is which is the most fun army.

yeah I guess. Im afraid the biggest difference is that my topic, when reading it again, sounds a little strange. :)

I also have to say the O&G, I have like 2-10 stats with them but fun to play anyways, to my defence I can say that I just borrowed that army! With my vamps I win and they are fun to play but ppl whine a lot about IoN and most of my units, and that takes the fun away to some degree.

Desert Rain
14-03-2009, 18:55
Skaven are fun to play against, unless its a SAD list.
Most of the armies can be fun to play against as long as you stay away from power builds.

Hrogoff the Destructor
14-03-2009, 20:40
My main rival likes to face my High Elves the most. He likes it because he's never quite sure how I will field it and it makes things interesting.

I'm not sure what my favorite army to face is. I would like Skaven a lot if I wasn't always up against SAD or Clan Pestilence Lustria.

Legionare Of Bloodlust
14-03-2009, 22:37
Fundamentaly u can put it down to this, no one likes playing uber gunlinesof deathso that takes out dwarves and empire, also noone likes playing overbeardy army books, bye-bye lizardmen and warriors of chaos,i think after that every game is fun if you have a nice friendly person to play against, if they are an annoying 'your half a mm out' person its never fun.

W0lf
15-03-2009, 00:25
I like to play vs vamps.

Mainly because they seem pretty easy to beat. (deathstar aside).

Kill-Freedom
15-03-2009, 01:22
Themed armies are pretty fun to play

XXL
15-03-2009, 04:54
I like to play vs vamps.

Mainly because they seem pretty easy to beat. (deathstar aside).

how do you beat "them" easy?

iaguz
15-03-2009, 09:48
Orcs and Goblins and Skaven win the points for being random and just crazy fun.

Beasts of Chaos come a 3rd for the randomness, and have been, so far, my favourite army to use. It's a great combination of clout (ok, not the best clout in the game, but I like it!) cheap fast units and lots of cunnin' tricks for an army that has no missile weapons. Plus, your the underdog, so whenever you manage to actually WIN a game you can feel doubly proud of yourself.

Tokamak
15-03-2009, 10:04
Themed armies are pretty fun to play

Absolutely. I'm still aching to play against an army full of big dino's one day.

dodicula
15-03-2009, 10:25
I would say beasts or skaven, O&G are at the bottom of my list because I find them more frustrating than fun

Drakcore Bloodtear
15-03-2009, 14:35
O&G are the best

Most of time they will be the army that is most feared because you don't know whats going to happen next for example when your 4 inches from a charge and you fail annimosity

fastcarfreak
17-03-2009, 19:23
in order

Skaven
Orcs and Goblins
Woodelves
Beasts

Keller
17-03-2009, 19:42
I like Empire myself, both with or against, but seldom at the same time. Few other armies offer the diversity and tactical oppertunities that the Empire can. Its always fun seeing what I can do with them against some armies, or how I can try to beat other Empire generals with what I have out there.

Themed armies are pretty fun to play+1 I always like seeing a nice themed force on the table, especially when theres a story to it.

Coragus
17-03-2009, 21:09
Yeah, Orcs & Goblins are a barrel of laughs. Love it how they get into a position to lauch a potentially game changing charge then roll one's on animosity. Then it's a blast to watch them get charged, break and run, and cause the rest of your stuff to run because of panic tests. Yeah, that makes for a great day.

Crovax20
17-03-2009, 21:17
Yeah, Orcs & Goblins are a barrel of laughs. Love it how they get into a position to lauch a potentially game changing charge then roll one's on animosity. Then it's a blast to watch them get charged, break and run, and cause the rest of your stuff to run because of panic tests. Yeah, that makes for a great day.

yup.. although i wouldn't mind that if... well you know.. our units were actually any better than others but with the powercreep thats not even the case.

The Red Scourge
18-03-2009, 00:00
Any army that is built with a great balance to my own, so the battle is hard fought :)

Kirth
18-03-2009, 05:27
I say O&G. They are the most frustrating to play, yet I never get tired of them. Their failures are so epic and their victories are a deep wound to your opponent.

There comes a time, Warseerian, when the goblins cease to panic, when the orcs pass their animosity, when the snotlings become a tarpit, and all that is left is a player's love for his O&G.