PDA

View Full Version : Army with least number of models?

bluetablepainting
11-12-2005, 19:20
What is the least number of models that can still make a 1500 point 40K army?

Time to paint is the main factor here, so count tanks as ten models, 40mm base models as three models, and dreadnoughts as five models.

The list should be reasonably competitive and include models that are currently in common productions (not Forge World).

Lists can include up to 150 points of wargear and upgrades (so really a 1350 point list of basic models-- leaving the rest to individual taste).

EDIT: The reason I'm asking about this is that I own a studio that paints armies. About once a month we put an army on the block, but they take a long time to sell. I'm trying to get a list of solid armies that can be done for the common man and will be within reach of Joe's budget. Sort of like the Ford of miniatures painting.

Shawn G.

Crisis suits = three models
Land speeders = six models
Terminators = three models
Tyranid Hive Tyrant or Carnifex = 8 models

Xander-K
11-12-2005, 19:22
huh? you want to play deathwing?....

edit: oh I see, you are putting Terminators on big bases, well that changes things completely..

Well it must be Iyanden then (without Wraithlords) they are what 35 pts each?

General Samuel of the 101
11-12-2005, 19:37
deathwing
a normal army will include 25 models at least

Orbital
11-12-2005, 19:38
What is the least number of models that can still make a 1500 point 40K army?

My guesses would be Daemonhunters, Iyanden or Harlequins. I don't have the means to make up a bunch of sample lists at the moment, but I might look into those perhaps.

Strikerkc
11-12-2005, 19:50
Your going to want to look into Grey Knight armies, Death Wing, Death Guard, and thousand sons.

Death Guard is going to be the simplest to play of those, Grey knights the simplest to paint, and deathwing/thousand sons the hardest to play as.

starlight
11-12-2005, 19:55
Consider also the NidZilla List of TMCs:eek:.

2 x Tyrant
3 x DakkaFex
2 x Tooled Genestealers
3 x GunFex

Orbital
11-12-2005, 20:15
That NidZilla list makes *me* want to start nids! That'd be a hell of a lot of fun!

damz451
11-12-2005, 20:19
my deathwing has 15 termies, 3 dreads and one land raider, prety low but make transportation so much easier :D

Icewalker
11-12-2005, 20:42
Technically, you would be counting multiple wounds as multiple models. So an HT w/ 4 wounds is 4 models. I fex w/ 4 wounds is 4 models. Catch my drift?

Okay so here's my list:
2 tyrants (that's 8 models) w/ 6 tyrant guard (that's 12 guys)
3 dakka fexs (12 guys)
6x2 stealers (12 guys more)
2 4 wound fexs (this is 8 guys)
1 5 wound fex (this is 5 guys)
In total, the big godzilla army of mine is worth about 57 models. Anything w/ front armour value of 10 is 10 models, 11 is 12 (or something like that) and 12+ is 15 models I think. I think that's what it was. I'm not exactly sure what it was. someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sildani
11-12-2005, 21:33
Iyanden list:

Farseer with Ghosthelm, Runes of Witnessing, close combat weapon, shuriken pistol, Guide

2 X 5 Wraithguard
Warlock; singing spear, shuriken pistol, Conceal
Wave Serpent; bright lances, star engines, spirit stone

2 Wraithlords; each with starcannon, 2 flamers

2 Falcons; each with starcannon, shuriken cannon, holofield, spirit stone

1492 pts.

Adds up to about 63 models, mostly due to the number of tanks involved.

Edit: 200th post! Booyah!

Orbital
11-12-2005, 21:39
Hey, Sildani...
1 Farseer
10 Wraithguard
2 Warlocks
2 Wave Serpents
2 Wraithlords
2 Falcons...

Does that not add up to 19 models?

Sildani
11-12-2005, 21:46
Technically, but check out the first post. Bluetablepainting counts dreadnoughts as five models, and tanks as ten models apiece.

bluetablepainting
11-12-2005, 21:57
Wow, this is incredibly useful.

When are the new Eldar due to be released? Are any of the models on the Eldar lists here (Iyanden) slated to be redone?

Also, does anyone know of a solid Deathwing list?

Shawn G.

The Dragon Reborn
11-12-2005, 22:19
my Deathwing in progress has 22 terminatos 2 dreads and a LR 1850 points and it is pretty solid if you want the list is in the army list section ATM

Orbital
11-12-2005, 22:26
When are the new Eldar due to be released? Are any of the models on the Eldar lists here (Iyanden) slated to be redone?

Alas, nothing is confirmed yet. There's a lot of talk about new models, but when? And what? We don't know for sure yet. believe me... I'm watching all the forums as carefully as I can for that auspicious occasion when the news finally appears!

Orbital
11-12-2005, 22:26
Technically, but check out the first post. Bluetablepainting counts dreadnoughts as five models, and tanks as ten models apiece.

Ah, I totally missed that. I'm sorry!

bluetablepainting
11-12-2005, 22:35
Well, no news might be good news. There's a magical moment where an army plummets in value because of the imminent re-release of the models.

I really want to do an Eldar army, but don't want to get stuck with obsolete models. Also, as a studio, we have to put out relevant and up to date work.

Shawn G.

Icarus
11-12-2005, 22:43
I once fielded a 1500 pt Harlequin army of about 15 models. They are also fun to paint and look pretty (i mean... you know... in a manly way....)

Sildani
11-12-2005, 22:49
Bluetablepainting: there's a new plastic Wraithlord in the works. This is all but confirmed. It looks like a small-scale Forge World Revenant Titan and, rumor has it, was sculpted by Jes Goodwin himself.

bluetablepainting
11-12-2005, 22:56
Are Harlequins a "legal" army?

Thanks for the tip on the plastic Wraithlord. That's very useful. Such a model would be very poseable.

Shawn

Smoking Frog
11-12-2005, 22:57
Grey Knights with transports may do the trick for you. Deathwing and Ravenwing would work too. 1000 sons are quite expensive in points. Perhaps an IG army loaded with expensive doctrines, like a stormtrooper regiment or something.

Speed Freek orks tend to be expensive, so long as they're suffering from Shiny Toy Syndrome.

What else... may be Necrons? Looking at all this though, your best bet for fewer models may be grey Knights, but they do have a lot of detail...

starlight
11-12-2005, 23:03
The only *official* (IE from GW) Harlequin list is a CJ/WD list done by Gav Thorpe from several years back, which had a Fan update a bit later. Both are Opponent's Permission.:(

The most common way to do a Harlequin Army is to use the DEWC rules.:)

Icarus
11-12-2005, 23:04
Harlequins aren't technically legal, but they had a number of articles in CJ, I know quite a few people who play them. No-one ever really objects to playing them because they aren't really that great. Think Dark Eldar with more skills but significantly fewer numbers.

Edit: Starlight got there first. :) And yeah, the DEWC is quite good and pretty fluffy. In fact you could say its more fluffy than the CJ lists, since the Harlequins actually (shock horror) come out of the Webway!

starlight
11-12-2005, 23:11
If you wanted to use the DEWC list entries and get *really* close to a Harelquin list, I'd suggest:

Wych Succubus = basic Trouper
Reaver Succubus = basic Reaver

blitz589
11-12-2005, 23:26
1 Night Lords Lord @ 121 Pts
Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon
Flight
Strength
Infiltrate

5 Night Lords @ 100 Pts
Plasma Gun (x1); Lascannon
1 Mark of Chaos Undivided

5 Night Lords @ 100 Pts
Plasma Gun (x1); Lascannon
1 Mark of Chaos Undivided @ [1] Pts

8 Raptors @ 294 Pts
Meltagun (x3)
1 Infiltrate @ [3] Pts

8 Raptors @ 294 Pts
Meltagun (x3)
1 Infiltrate @ [3] Pts

8 Raptors @ 294 Pts
Meltagun (x3)
1 Infiltrate @ [3] Pts

8 Night Lords Bikers @ 292 Pts
Meltagun (x2)

43 models, but its pretty competitive, with all the first turn assaults, Also the paint scheme is very cool.
Total Roster Cost: 1495

Orbital
12-12-2005, 00:15
Are Harlequins a "legal" army?

Not really. I wish they were. I really do. I would LOVE to take a Harlequin ally in my Eldar armor (one Shadowseer can really ruin your opponent's day), but the rules for Harlequins aren't official, so you can't use them at most tourneys, etc. Also, the models are mail-order only... so they might not fit into your criteria for an "in production" army.

I was a bit dim when I suggested them. Sorry.

That having been said... if you want to have an army of mostly infantry that chews through 1500 points like nobody's business then grab your clown nose and your rictus mask and get paintin'!

Orbital
12-12-2005, 00:16
No-one ever really objects to playing them because they aren't really that great.

I just got denied my Harlequin model at a Hall of Heroes tournament, so... never say never!

Orbital
12-12-2005, 00:19
Bluetablepainting: there's a new plastic Wraithlord in the works. This is all but confirmed. It looks like a small-scale Forge World Revenant Titan and, rumor has it, was sculpted by Jes Goodwin himself.

Even thought his makes me Bert to Sildani's Ernie, I just have to say that this isn't confirmed or official. Smart people with good connections have been behind the scenes and reported seeing some Wraithlord action, so that makes it smart to bet something is coming. Still, people tend to be good observers, but bad interpreters. If it doesn't show up on the shelves and you write to GW asking "Where's that new Wraithlord?", the answer you'll probably get is "When did we ever say we were doing a new Wraithlord?"

Sorry if that sounds wet-blankety. Just want to make sure we aren't mistaking rumor for official news.

PKAGustov
12-12-2005, 03:06
My old Deathwing was 20 models. Seventeen Termies, two Land Raiders, and one Crusader.

grave digger
12-12-2005, 03:31
Shawn,

for Deathwing lists take a peak in my sig. Go over to Deathwing Central and you will find many different lists in the "Army List" section.

Diggs

AgentZero
12-12-2005, 03:33
Make an Eldar Ghost Army

librerian_samae
12-12-2005, 15:15
my actual raven wing army has 21 modles in 1500pts,
does it win?