PDA

View Full Version : Dreams of 40k (nightmare)

Col. Tartleton
14-03-2009, 17:05
I had a dream I was a guardsmen last night, we were holding down some area, and on patrol. Then all of a sudden explosions started erupting all around us and we sprang for cover. Someone yelled "Heavy Bolter" then someone said something along the lines of "20 HE rounds per second" and it certainly felt like it, the entire area was being melted away by heavy fire.

Then it stepped out of its cover. An Astarte with a heavy bolter, bright yellow armor of the Imperial Fists. We tried hosing him down with our rifles but to no avail and soon began retreating through cover away from him. He advanced Jason style, slowly marching his gun constantly adjusting to kill us and at least half of us were turned to liquid before we reached the house. We sprang through the door shouting and crying then a Commissar appeared and aimed a gun towards us and started shouting in what sounded like german (clearly an offworlder's dialect of gothic) Then the marine exploded into the house and everyone scattered. The commissar took cover and started firing off a few bolt shots to little effect before getting hosed with a spray of shots. Then the marine turned to us and I woke up.

Very realistic dream, I remember our pea green uniforms and the commissars black cloak and crimson trim. The marine was scary as hell because of his yellow very obvious armor. He acted like a machine and that was also scary. He just pumped shots and walked menacingly no warcries, no humanizing effects besides his tiny (in comparison) exposed head. He had black hair and a moderately tan face. Bolts exploded with a yellow explosion and tracer flash with white smoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FChxn6hBAg&feature=related

Pretty much like that but faster.One of the realest nightmares I've had in a while.

Anyone else had dreams of 40k?

Mr.selfdestruct
14-03-2009, 18:50
Wow. I have had dreams in which i was "playing" 40k, but never any where I was "in" 40k. Now I kinda want to....

Rick Blaine
14-03-2009, 18:56
I had a fever a few days ago and dreamed that I was keeping lab rats inside a Stompa model.

Foolish Mortal
14-03-2009, 19:28
I once had a dream about a group of Ultramarines having to defend a train full of civilians from Tyranids. I can't remember much about it, other than it seemed pretty intense.

I wasn't part of the dream, merely an observer.

Slightly different, but cool non the less, I once dreamt I was walking through a kind of forest in the dark, when some creatures appeared that I can only describe as a cross between Tyranid warriors & the Alien from the Aliens films. About the same time I noticed the trees weren't trees at all, but columns of flesh with bone protruding from them.

I woke up at this point.

Magelite
14-03-2009, 19:41
The marine was scary as hell because of his yellow very obvious armor. He acted like a machine and that was also scary.

Are you sure it was a marine and not Cyrax?

Col. Tartleton
14-03-2009, 20:27
Well it was scary because I knew what is was, but the way the dream unfolded its like it was the real world understanding rather than knowledge from playing.

Like in the dream I knew it was an Imperial Fist because it was yellow and the fact someone said a stat on the gun that AFAIK isn't in the game was interesting. I was also terrified because I had thought he was on our side. Its like my brain was trying to convince me it wasn't a dream because He was just out of clear sight though, so i never saw insignia or any real detail, and he moved too fast when he was close. The fact I was scared of how yellow he was gives credence to the games fluff imo. I don't think I'd have been as startled if it was a camo wearing soldier with a chain gun. The fact he clearly didn't think anything of us militarily and just strode in the open gun blazing dressed in killer bee yellow was intimidating. I think we were cadians, thats what the armor looked like and the commissar was also quite scary. His hat was very large on him, he looked almost like a bishop but in black with red trim. His bolt pistol was pretty large, but clearly not marine sized. I don't think I heard the bolters or their bolts, so they must have been very loud.

I should write a fan fiction, this is like when Bram Stoker had his vampire dream that inspired his book. :D

Oathwarden
14-03-2009, 20:37
Since I started setting up a Dark Heresey campaign I've been getting a few of those. Notable nightmare was the aliens/space hulk style dream. Was an acolyte for an Inquisitor and was tracing leads for a heretek cult and lets just say the nids had found those hereteks tasty before we arrived

Khornate Fireball (Ork)
14-03-2009, 21:23
Man, it would be fun to dream that I AM my Warboss... Nothin' like krumpin' beakiez.

Nym
14-03-2009, 21:24
I had a dream of 10 Space Marines on a hill, thinking they would stop a whole hive fleet from destroying a planet. They got eaten by the first 10 Genestealers, and then there was this strange kind of scream "That's cheat ! Marines can't die to 10 Stealers it's written in the books !".

Oh wait ! That wasn't a dream ! :D

Lord Cook
14-03-2009, 21:24
Weird coincidence. Last night I dreamed that a bunch of Eldar worlds* were being abandoned because of a massive Ork attack, and afterwords I and a group of friends were living on one of the arctic worlds as caretakers. It stayed pretty cogent at first, but then it kind of petered out into ridiculousness. That or the Eldar really do keep Xbox 360's in their living rooms.

*I know Craftworld Eldar don't live on planets. Tell the dream that.

Giganthrax
14-03-2009, 21:29
Col. Tartleton, obviously this is a vision bestowed upon you by the beneficent god-Emperor himself, telling you to forsake any idea of ever starting a non-Imperial army, lest you be faced with the full might of His Angels of Death.

Md Larkin
14-03-2009, 22:10
I had a dream similar to 'Aliens' except the drones were Hive Tyrants....I hate Nids!!

Col. Tartleton
14-03-2009, 22:43
So, I guess my guard can't be good guy rebels anymore. That or I should start my conceptual Space Marine Chapter. The Blades of Virtue would be a nice project. Especially with some true scaling.The Peach and purple colored Marines with Bhuddist War Monk themes would be cool. I should look back to that fluff and revise it a bit, and make more in universe sense for the Null Chaplains. I could also use them with my marine recruitment method of institutionalizing it on a planetary scale. Burn a custom RZA disc for playing alongside games. You know, just the normal stuff.

Imperius
14-03-2009, 22:47
I had a 40k Dream where I was being hunted down by Imperial Guard sentinels then a Warhound Titan came and stomped on his little cousins.

Gen.Steiner
14-03-2009, 22:51
I dreamt I was part of a Guard unit tasked with the systematic execution of civilians whose world had been taken by the Tau and who had committed the crime of failing to resist the Xenos...

...it was a bit like ethnic cleansing but with less trauma, I clearly remember thinking to myself "these are not people, but aliens" and then ordering my flamethrower operator to set fire to a hab-block with about five or six hundred people in.

I think we shot the survivors and I was going round putting laspistol bolts into the bodies' faces just in case. It lasted for quite a while as I remember; no enemies, no return fire, just a systematic murdering session...!

Azriel45
14-03-2009, 23:39
I once had a dream about a nid invasion of Earth. It was kinda comical actually... guess i'm just twisted that way.

squeekenator
15-03-2009, 00:01
I had a Dawn of War-ish dream once. I was some sort of god controlling a Monolith as it slowly moved around the pages of a book. I remember thinking that I was going to win easily (not sure what I was fighting) because Necrons were overpowered in Dark Crusade.

hawo0313
15-03-2009, 00:10
I had a skydiving dream once then halfway down saw a chaos raptor (or assault marine) coming towards me I woke up when I saw the chainsword cant even remember the colour of the armour only the jump pack it was weird.

Starchild
15-03-2009, 00:23
*I know Craftworld Eldar don't live on planets. Tell the dream that.

Actually some of them do, according to WD 127 anyway. Eldar like to take control of the Maiden Worlds which the pre-Fall Eldar terraformed. Sometimes they have to abandon these planets when other races claim them. There just aren't enough Eldar left to take and hold a planet, so your dream is in agreement with background.

Whiteflames
15-03-2009, 04:38
I will never forget one 40K nightmare I had. I was sitting in the living room when the whole house started shacking…thump…thump…thump. I heard lots of screaming outside so I ran out the front door to see what was going. That’s when I saw a 50’ tall Greater Demon of Nurgle coming down the street. I started running the opposite way with everyone else, but no matter how fast we ran we couldn’t get away from it. I finally turned one corner and came face-to-face with it – and that’s when I woke up in a cold sweat. I think this was around the time that Jurassic Park came out, so maybe that was part of the influence. Never-the-less, that nightmare seemed very real and really freaked me out.

TrojanWolf
15-03-2009, 08:05
None that I can remember. I wonder what it would be like to have a dream about being part of my DE Kabal?

Seved
15-03-2009, 11:13
I am somewhat embarrassed about telling you of my dream, but it goes like this:
A month ago did I dream that I was a Space Marine Captain, I did'nt register of which chapter in the dream, but me and my company were located on a desert world somewhere in the galaxy. We had a city at our back and were facing an enormous desert. In the horizon could I see a great horde of tyrannids coming, but did'nt feel any fear. I just felt exhilaration, and now do I come to why I am embarrassed.
I begun to cry out of sorrow for the emperor and all the ones who had died for him, although I could still feel happines in some strange way. At this point did my chaplain tell me that this was the reason for us to be exiled.
To cut back to the impending fight, so did "eggs" fall among us and out came tyrannids. I discovered that I had a "thunderhammer" in my hand, so I smacked them, as they hatched, and how the ground shook upon my hammer hitting it. This do I remember very vividly from the dream.
After this came a Carnifex for me, but again, so did'nt I feel any fear just the joy of fighting, and I did'nt cry either, but at this point did the phone wake me up. Crap!

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
15-03-2009, 13:42
I had a dream where I was a harlequin, I was on the stage with the rest of my troupe, re-enacting the Eldar's most historical events, and then it turned into the chicken dance, weird. You'll never catch me doing the chicken dance... never

Born Again
15-03-2009, 14:04
I've never had a dream I was "in" 40k. However, when I was younger I often had dreams about playing the game, or getting sneak peaks at new and upcoming models. Sometimes I got things scarily right, though more often than not it was just the ultimate wishlisting thread in my brain :p

SAndres316
15-03-2009, 14:48
Ok, I think reading this thread may have been the cause but I JUST woke from a really screwed up dream, which DID have 40k in it, for a bit

I'm in this bus or something going out of control down the highway. I look out the back window....and there's all these anime "magical girls", mostly Sailor Moon look-alikes, flying and driving alongside (I was kinda liking this part of the dream). Next thing I know, the bus is careening into the air, the anime girls catch it from falling right the ground.....or so I thought. Turns out that when I look outside, there's a bunch of army guys there, and when I say army, I mean lifesize miniatures (they all looked CGed), including a couple of Space Marines, particular of note were some Dark Angels (?, they were green, but not bright enough to be Salamanders) and a guy with black armor and a jump pack (Raven Guard or Death Company I don't know). Anyways, suddenly a commander walks up to me telling me that some general wants to see me by a Land Raider....then I wake up........

Or so I think, I'm back in my house looking around for....something.....when I'm startled by a kitten. We don't have any cats here. Anyways there's a couple of blurs that go past and I see my parents 'widening a door' in the hallway (we are remodeling, but nothing so drastic)....then I wake up again......

NOT. I look around and another cat startles me.....by latching onto my crotch. I start screaming to the cat telling it that that's a 'bad spot', while another cat or something latches onto my ass. After about 20 seconds of screaming on my part, I wake up for real.

I also remember something about DVDs, wrestling, Basketball, and Naruto. All I have to say though......REALLY ****ED UP DREAM

Col. Tartleton
15-03-2009, 16:39
Well I only mentioned the 40k part of my dream that night. I was also at a party with some people at one of my buddies houses, then i black out in the dream and wake up in a really nice house somewhere else all alone (which had me panicking because I completely thought this dream was real because nothing happened out of place and a similar thing happened once in real life.) Then I'm wandering around outside and there's a big van parked in the road which I thought belonged to a kid I know, it did and I got in. This is about where it completely and randomly transferred to my 40k dream.

I've also had dreams about playing 40k or having thousands of points worth of clanrat slave models in boxes ready to paint and being overwhelmed by their grey plastic multitudes. I knew it would take years to paint them all...

Grimbad
15-03-2009, 17:15
I had a dream that I was a civilian on a planet being invaded by Tyranids. I caught the last transport out but we were shot down by a couple of harridans and a brood of winged warriors.

After that, I dreamed that I was a wooden mask nailed to a tree. That dream sucked.

Gimp
15-03-2009, 17:30
I have had dreams of playing Warhammer or dreams that feature my friends who play

Bassik
15-03-2009, 20:05
I once dreamed I was painting clanrats.

My dreams are lame :D

Finn
17-03-2009, 09:41
I've definitely dreamed I was a Marine before. And I could fly with my mind, which I apparently had to hide from my fellow Marines because they'd think me tainted by Chaos. But I'd really discovered a way to use psychic powers without attracting the dangers of the Warp...and at some point the dream morphed and I was no longer a Marine.

I've also dreamt I was something like a Culexus assassin (man I must've been pissed off that night), fighting Nid-like aliens, and a citizen on a world in the 40k 'verse or something very similar.

Next time I have a lucid dream I'm going to try to recreate the Heresy, I think...:evilgrin:

Imperius
20-03-2009, 06:33
I had a dream I was Catachan, a bunch of snipers pinned the Space Mariens to the ground, and with guns a blazing we jumped out of the trees and with inhuman speed ran across a small plain screaming 'Dakka' in the style of the Orks.
And the reason it stuck in my head was the gore and explicitness of my dream. A Space Marine got shot through the visor and blood poured down his armour and he crushed one of my mates under his sheer mass.
I slit a helmetless seargeants throat, and the blood was all down my forearms and sprayed up.
Then suddenly a Demolition Charge went off, and I woke up actualyl feeling like I was falling back.

RichBlake
20-03-2009, 06:46
I had a dream I was a guardsmen last night, we were holding down some area, and on patrol. Then all of a sudden explosions started erupting all around us and we sprang for cover. Someone yelled "Heavy Bolter" then someone said something along the lines of "20 HE rounds per second" and it certainly felt like it, the entire area was being melted away by heavy fire.

Then it stepped out of its cover. An Astarte with a heavy bolter, bright yellow armor of the Imperial Fists. We tried hosing him down with our rifles but to no avail and soon began retreating through cover away from him. He advanced Jason style, slowly marching his gun constantly adjusting to kill us and at least half of us were turned to liquid before we reached the house. We sprang through the door shouting and crying then a Commissar appeared and aimed a gun towards us and started shouting in what sounded like german (clearly an offworlder's dialect of gothic) Then the marine exploded into the house and everyone scattered. The commissar took cover and started firing off a few bolt shots to little effect before getting hosed with a spray of shots. Then the marine turned to us and I woke up.

Very realistic dream, I remember our pea green uniforms and the commissars black cloak and crimson trim. The marine was scary as hell because of his yellow very obvious armor. He acted like a machine and that was also scary. He just pumped shots and walked menacingly no warcries, no humanizing effects besides his tiny (in comparison) exposed head. He had black hair and a moderately tan face. Bolts exploded with a yellow explosion and tracer flash with white smoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FChxn6hBAg&feature=related

Pretty much like that but faster.One of the realest nightmares I've had in a while.

Anyone else had dreams of 40k?

I'm sorry but I'm a bit sceptical about this. I have a friend who studied dreams as part of their psychology degree and something that was pretty much fact is that the average person will not remeber more then 40% of their dream within the first 5 minutes of waking up, and will not remember more then 5% after that (meaning that yes, all the dreams we remember actually involved a lot of stuff we forget).

That sounds very specific for a dream, and if you are telling the truth, the amount of recollection you have about it is astonishing. In all honesty, without meaning to cause offence, it sounds like you've added in some details here (perhaps for dramatic effect!).

I dreamt I was part of a Guard unit tasked with the systematic execution of civilians whose world had been taken by the Tau and who had committed the crime of failing to resist the Xenos...

...it was a bit like ethnic cleansing but with less trauma, I clearly remember thinking to myself "these are not people, but aliens" and then ordering my flamethrower operator to set fire to a hab-block with about five or six hundred people in.

I think we shot the survivors and I was going round putting laspistol bolts into the bodies' faces just in case. It lasted for quite a while as I remember; no enemies, no return fire, just a systematic murdering session...!

THAT seems like what someone remembers from a dream, clearly Steiner remembers a few clear points: He remembers what it was sort of about, he remember ordering someone to set fire to a hab block and his thoughts at the time and he remembers wandering around the aftermath.

However apparently dreams are the brain sorting the days events, so Steiner, how is the ethnic cleansing going? :p

The Red Scourge
20-03-2009, 09:24
Wow! A thread full of repressed sexuality. This is hil.. interesting ;)

Coasty
20-03-2009, 09:39
My sexuality isn't repressed; it's all over the place!

Anyway...the night before last I dreamed I was a Rogue Trader investigating a small Hulk that had translated in an inhabitedsystem which was, by unhappy coincidence, being evacuated for some reason. Some of the civilian transports got a bit close and genestealers started leaping through the void and latching onto the hulls. I decided the hulk had to go and ordered it destroyed. I woke up muttering 'firing Novacannon in 5...4...3...2...'

Very odd.

ard boy stu
20-03-2009, 10:10
once I had a dream that I was an Imperial guardsman on Holy terra and then the Tau invaded

0ld1eye
20-03-2009, 14:03
I had a dream about a daemonic incursion once... not in the 41st millenium, but in my street! I remember sometihng about fighting the mannequins that flamers create, if you read the fluff, and something about furies flying off with my screaming next-door neighbour... probably subconscious there, he's a right **** and would deserve it.

Other than that, no. Although I do have a recurring nightmare about being chased through mercy hospital by a tank... (L4D)

Col. Tartleton
20-03-2009, 15:59
I'm sorry but I'm a bit sceptical about this. I have a friend who studied dreams as part of their psychology degree and something that was pretty much fact is that the average person will not remember more then 40% of their dream within the first 5 minutes of waking up, and will not remember more then 5% after that (meaning that yes, all the dreams we remember actually involved a lot of stuff we forget).

That sounds very specific for a dream, and if you are telling the truth, the amount of recollection you have about it is astonishing. In all honesty, without meaning to cause offence, it sounds like you've added in some details here (perhaps for dramatic effect!).

I can hardly remember the dream before it, but I completely remember that dream. I know its hard to remember dreams, I usually wake up think that was awesome or weird and then half an hour later forget i had a dream. The only thing I embellished was that the commissar was speaking off worlder :D, I don't actually know what he said, I don't think my perspective character cared. But he did point a bolter in my face and he was cursing or chewing me out before the marine broke through the wall and he dove behind a kitchen peninsula and the pair boltered each other with the marine winning by far.

This whole episode was only three or four minutes worth of in dream, there probably was more that I forget. It was vivid and fast paced.