PDA

View Full Version : Most competitive! chaos cult army

Latro_
14-03-2009, 17:19
Ok just a bit of a fun poll/thread to see what you guys think is both the most competitive CSM cult army.

By cult army I mean that which tries to keep very much to the cult units as troops and the avoidance of the likes of other vanillia units (normal CSM, havocs etc..), but the use of vehicles predators etc of course and the lieks of lesser daemons etc.

I know there is somewhat of a grey area in this now since the new chaos codex is very vanilla in nature, but i think you all know the kinda armies I am talking about.

Personally I think it has to be the Death Guard pound for pound they just seem like the best all round force (with the slightly unfluffy introduction of rhinos of course ;)).

PumaKiller
14-03-2009, 20:23
Nurgle no doubt. Their cult unit really is just like a beefed up version of our already very good Chaos Marines. They're hard to kill and can put up a really good fight. After them I think Slaanesh would be next because of the firepower they can put out and how much Lash can manipulate the enemy. Khorne would be next, it's not too bad but it's too straight forward and obvious in its approach so isn't very adaptable and not hard at all to predict and avoid for at least a little while. I put Tzeentch last because Thousand Sons just do not make a good core unit choice.

Lord Damocles
14-03-2009, 20:33
Slannesh = Lash if I'm not mistaken...

Latro_
14-03-2009, 20:44
yea lash and noise marines with what equates to plasma cannons :P

I forgot all about lashing!

Mindyou i'v always had a problem with the cost of noise marines, however nasty they are with sonic weapons they still die like normal marines and cost many many points.

Legionary
14-03-2009, 20:46
In terms of pure and utter competition? Emperor's Children w/ lash princes etc. Outside of things that are broken, the Deathguard. Nurgle's a great army to take, especially for games with objectives. Plonk your marines so they're capturing an objective and your opponent will struggle to dislodge them.

Bloodknight
14-03-2009, 23:27
DeathGuard as a pure cult force is not that great.
Yes, the Marines are souped up CSM, but they cost 50% more, are less than 50% more survivable (more wounds are better than FNP because the latter does not work vs plasma, ID etc and power weapons, ie the stuff you try to kill Marines with), and obviously do less damage than a unit of CSM for the same points.

Plague Marines, say two squads, are a lot better in undivided armies where they hold objectives, and that's the only thing they do. When they have to do everything at once (ie sit there, shoot, and assault objectives), their effectivity drops a lot.

Mechanized Khorne is pretty good, actually, even without lash guys.
Kharn, a Daemon Prince, a Greater Daemon, 5 Rhinos full of Berzerkers, 3 Oblits (a must in every cult army except EC, IMO, and even there they are better than their Havocs) and 2 Defilers are a pretty good force at the 1850 level.

Sanctjud
14-03-2009, 23:51
SO... the ppl that post a responce believe the EC are most competitive, while the poll says otherwise.

Anyway, save for the TS, I think all the other cults can be competitive.

I feel the PM's are number one though, due to their ability to take on -all comers. They are THAT flexible. Able to go on the offense and defense.

My 7 Cents.

Rick Blaine
15-03-2009, 00:30
I personally feel that CSM just aren't mobile enough to be competitive, no matter the configuration. Of the cults, the EC seem the best since they at least have some shooting power. The other three can't hope to contend with vehicles, especially skimmers.

W0lf
15-03-2009, 00:38
DG>WE>EC>TS.

Id run the first 2 as mech, EC with blastmaster spam + dual lash and i wouldnt run pure TS.

Askari
15-03-2009, 02:01
I wish I could honestly pick Thousand Sons;

Got to go for the Death Guard though. Plague Marines are so immensely hard in cover on objectives it's ridiculous...

Emperor's Children relies too much on Lash, and Noise Marines while powerful, aren't any tougher though much more expensive than basic CSM.

philipc68
15-03-2009, 10:04
I've only ever played pure Tzeentch (typically 2-3 Thousand Sons squads, 1 squad of 6 Tzeentch-marked terminators, Sorc Lord, 1x Vindi and/or Pred) and have had no trouble winning my share of games with them, although admittedly only in club games. They seem to be competitive against 'friendly' imperial, marine and eldar lists, and necrons aren't much challenge apart from the monoliths. I have trouble with tyranids. Haven't played against orks or tau.

Doomseer
15-03-2009, 11:20
Death Guard. Blight Grenades, T5 and FNP are really something in conjunction with their other Wargear, they rarely disappoint however you choose to use them.

the1stpip
15-03-2009, 14:26
In game, the only thing that Death Guard suffer from (and I did vote for Death Guard) is a lack of range, something which my Dark Eldar have exploited.

Johnnyfrej
15-03-2009, 19:46
You forgot one Cult army...

Obliterators, OBLITERATE!

Sanctjud
15-03-2009, 21:46
Cult army as in Troop choice spamming.
I'm happy to see Plague marines with the commanding lead.

Raptors and Oblits have their own cult, but are neither troops.

My 7 Cents.

PapaDoc
15-03-2009, 22:11
I personally feel that CSM just aren't mobile enough to be competitive, no matter the configuration. Of the cults, the EC seem the best since they at least have some shooting power. The other three can't hope to contend with vehicles, especially skimmers.

This means speaks the truth.

The EC firepower is not cheap (esp. if you are talking about the blastmaster).
Might aswell go with two obliterators instead.

Sanctjud
16-03-2009, 03:27
Well, I've had no problems with vehicles with my melta gun toting plague marines.

Sure they have a rhino, but they are consistant in taking out vehicles when slogging as well.

My 7 Cents.